Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Loose Steering and Top Cruising Speed

Total Downloaded

Loose Steering and Top Cruising Speed

Hello,

Just wondering if I could get some opinions on some questions I have.

I've recently picked up an FFR in great nick with 10,000 log booked KM's on it. 100% stock standard except for key installation. So no power steering, turbos or any of the other great gear people are putting in theirs.

Now my question is I've noticed a bit of floaty steering in my perentie especially at 75km/h and upwards. It has a bit of a loose area where you turn the wheel and nothing happens even at slow speeds, in other words it isn't nice and tight. I'm wondering if this is normal of if mine needs adjusting as I've never driven one before I have nothing to compare it to... I'm not massively worried about this, I understand it's an old truck but if I can improve it, I'd like to. If this is normal would power steering, some proper tyres ect improve this?

My second question is what's a safe top cruising speed for long distance driving safe as in kind to the old girl. I understand these vehicles where probably designed to do a max speed and travel in convoy. I do 5 to 10 hour or 500km to 800km freeway drives most weekends. At the moment I just sit on between 75-80km/h and it purrs away. If I take it up to 90 it's revving a bit but doesn't feel like it's revving it's guts out. Would it be ok to sit on 90km/h for long periods of time? What do other people sit on, on long trips? Thanks in advance. Cheers.

JDNSW is offline RoverLord Silver Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Steering should have virtually no free play. Get someone to wiggle the wheel while you look where the free play is. Most likely one (or more) of the tie rod ends, or the bushes on each end of the panhard rod.

Maximum comfortable cruising speed, as far as safety goes is as fast as it will go in normal circumstances. I have a civilian 110 with the N/A Isuzu (which is mechanically almost identical), and my normal cruising speed is 100kph. It has now done 580,000km with no internal work on the engine, and still uses no oil.

In the soft top perentie, speed will probably be somewhat limited by the noise level mainly from wind. You need to remember that this is a truck engine, not a car engine, and it is designed to operate at full throttle, maximum governed rpm all day.

John
    John

JDNSW
    1986 110 County 3.9 diesel
    1970 2a 109 2.25 petrol

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by JDNSW View Post
    Steering should have virtually no free play. Get someone to wiggle the wheel while you look where the free play is. Most likely one (or more) of the tie rod ends, or the bushes on each end of the panhard rod.

Maximum comfortable cruising speed, as far as safety goes is as fast as it will go in normal circumstances. I have a civilian 110 with the N/A Isuzu (which is mechanically almost identical), and my normal cruising speed is 100kph. It has now done 580,000km with no internal work on the engine, and still uses no oil.

In the soft top perentie, speed will probably be somewhat limited by the noise level mainly from wind. You need to remember that this is a truck engine, not a car engine, and it is designed to operate at full throttle, maximum governed rpm all day.

John
    ??

Total Downloaded
    I sit at 100-105 km/h in mine, from memory that is around 2600 rpm. Maximum governed rpm is 3200 or thereabouts, so there is headroom even at that speed.

Heart in the Deep Nth of FNQ,Body in the Deep Nth of Brisneyland
    Total Downloaded
    Bushbandit, as above.
    You also want to take particular attention to the Steering shaft join just below and forward of the brake booster.

4x4xmore, go back and read your Buyers guide again; the bit about what size vehicles the Isuzu donks were designed for.
    Cheers, BDave.
    Replace "You are...!", with "Are you...?"

Army Land Rover Buyers Guide.
    buymilitaryvehicles.com

Reunited with RFSV 51 680, 'Sleazy'!!
    '00 VeryDisco TD5 Auto,
    Nanocom Evo for D2 TD5 and Puma
    Gone:RFSV, 51-699, Carryall 48-358.

Total Downloaded
    I probably should add that while travelling at 100+kph will not damage the vehicle, it will certainly up your fuel consumption compared to 80-90kph, but this has nothing to do with the engine - merely the inescapable fact that it has a large frontal area and high drag coefficient. (not totally inescapable - take the top off, door tops off, and fold the windscreen would probably see a significant improvement in both economy and performance)

If travelling at the higher speed you also need to ensure that you have suitable tyres.

John
    John

JDNSW
    1970 2a 109 2.25 petrol

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Dave View Post
    Bushbandit, as above.
    You also want to take particular attention to the Steering shaft join just below and forward of the brake booster.

4x4xmore, go back and read your Buyers guide again; the bit about what size vehicles the Isuzu donks were designed for.
    No I mean what does governed mean? Like a fuel cut out?

Total Downloaded
    Absolute champs, thanks heaps for the fast replies fellas. Ill jump under there tomorrow, have a look and try and get the steering sorted.

At least now I'll be able to keep up with the b-doubles, it was getting a bit lonely back there and maybe a bit embarrassing being passed by mum and pop in their Nissan x-trail towing an 18ft caravan...

Cheers John yeah I'm not looking to win any races, any improvement on 80km/h is fine by me. I'll just drive at what feels comfy...

Also what's this buyers guide you speak of Barefoot Dave? I'm looking for any documentation I can find just to learn a bit more about the old girl, especially manuals, workshop would be a lifesaver if anyone knows of anything? Also chasing a defender truck cab... Cheers again.

Total Downloaded
    I'll let Dave cover the buyers guide, as for manuals, try below.

https://www.davesitshop.com/emporium...t&product_id=5

Also head over to remlr.com, lots of info there too including the RPS documents and another forum with a Perentie specific section.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4 MORE View Post
    No I mean what does governed mean? Like a fuel cut out?
    Like all diesel engines the Isuzu has a governor that limits maximum rpm. It is not a fuel cutout, but simply limits maximum fuelling to the amount needed to maintain governed rpm. You probably will not be able to reach this rpm in top gear, at least on the level, but it will limit top speed in third (or lower gears).
    John

JDNSW
    1970 2a 109 2.25 petrol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast