Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Three Point Five Tons.

Total Downloaded

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tombie View Post
    BLL if I remember correctly is 5 times the WLL.

A 1.5 tonne shackle will not fail till at least 7.5t is applied.

And SA requirements are for rated chain and rated shackles attached to rated points.
    Yep Correct Tombie
    Cheers

Total Downloaded
    I would be very surprised if the chain used on trailers and caravans is any where near rated shackle capacity.

The old way of working out chain capacity was D x D x G x .3

i.e.12mm mild steel chain = 12 x 12 x 30 x .3 = 1296kg WLL or approx 4-5 times that for minimum breaking load.

An 11mm rated shackle has a WLL of 1500kg.

Cheers

Tombie Guest
    We're not talking lifting here though... Where the safety margin/factor is high.

Were talking BLL... Think snatch straps...

Total Downloaded
    To drill through all the technicalities - I think it's safe to say that two shackles, each rated at 1.5 T WLL are more than enough and legally sufficient.

Cheers,

Gordon

Tombie Guest
    Egg Zackary

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Tombie View Post
    Egg Zackary
    I used to know an Ed Zackary. Wonder if they are related??

Total Downloaded
    Reading through the March 2015 edition of the RACV's RoyalAuto magazine I came across this interesting article which I thought I'd share. Timely with the Victoria Labor Day long weekend and Easter coming up.

D-RUMOURS DEBUNKED

Rumours of police in several states clamping down on non-load-rated D-shackles being used to tow caravans, boats and other trailers are just that: rumours.

Many members have raised concerns with RACV that they'd be fined for using what they thought was a common towing hitch component.

The Caravan Industry of Australia has told RACV various police and state transport departments have denied any sort of crackdown.

The CIA also confirms there is no specific requirement for D-shackles such as when attaching a trailer to a tow-bar. The Australian Standard on shackles [AS 2741-20021 only covers their use for lifting].

"Our understanding is that there is currently no regulations requiring shackles used on trailer safety chains to comply with the standard," says Stuart Lamont of the CIA. "However,some state authorities provide guidelines or advice for selecting suitable sha
    ckles."
    Mr Lamont says the CIA does recommend using shackles that meet AS 2741-2002 to secure safety chains up to 3500kg capacity.

The grade should be 'S' or "6",have a 10mm diameter and a working load limit of 1000kg.

Mr Lamont says either bow-shackles or D-shackles are suitable, noting that the bow design provides greater angular uses.

But there is a lot more to safe towing and caravanning than just the shackles. Go to racv.com.au/mycar and follow the Safe Driving link, where you'll find a safe towing article with dozens of tips and guidelines to better caravanning.

Last edited by rufusking; 4th March 2015 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Cleaned up formating from cut and paste

Total Downloaded
    I use a simpler method(rated shackle only, couldn't be arsed working all that maths out) If it has a lifting load of 1500kg, double that for the pulling load limit, can't go wrong.

Baz.
    Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 SE 2.7L
    1990 Perentie FFR EX Aust Army
    1967 Series IIa 109 (Farm Truck)
    2007 BMW R1200GS
    1979 BMW R80/7
    1983 BMW R100TIC Ex ACT Police
    1994 Yamaha XT225 Serow

p38arover is offline Major part of the heart and soul of AULRO.com
    Administrator
    I'm here to help you!
    Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    The weekend before last, I saw a loaded trailer being towed, restrained only by the chains. I could see it as it came around a corner ahead toward me.

I stopped her and told her the trailer was not coupled to the car. The driver seemed oblivious to the trailer swaying behind her.
    Ron B.
    VK2OTC

2003 L322 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Auto
    2007 Yamaha XJR1300
    Previous: 1983, 1986 RRC; 1995, 1996 P38A; 1995 Disco1; 1984 V8 County 110; Series IIA

RIP Bucko - Riding on Forever

LGM is offline Master Silver Subscriber
    Total Downloaded

Mind in Neutral

Quote Originally Posted by p38arover View Post
    The weekend before last, I saw a loaded trailer being towed, restrained only by the chains. I could see it as it came around a corner ahead toward me.

I stopped her and told her the trailer was not coupled to the car. The driver seemed oblivious to the trailer swaying behind her.

I don't know about others here but I reckon I see a fair number of 'Oblivious' drivers in my travels!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast