Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Spudboy's super-sized camper replacement for a 130 - and no it's not a Unimog!

DiscoMick Guest
    Came to this thread late and am really enjoying it. You're a handy man with the tools.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using AULRO mobile app

Total Downloaded
    I have to agree with you Mick. Is there anything this man can NOT make!
    Thank you Spudboy.

Total Downloaded
    Well, I am thinking of making another one!!

For Sale: 2013-MAN-TGM-4x4-Double-Cab Expedition Truck

I've advertised it for sale to see what response I get.

Got an enquiry on the 1st day from a bloke up in Wollongong, so we'll see if he's serious or not in the next week or so.

Judo is offline ChatterBox Silver Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    I'm curious David, when did you start going crazy, or was it a spontaneous event?

I can't believe it!

What would you build next? Another MAN or something different?
    - Justin

'95 Disco 300TDI - sold
    '86 County 110 Isuzu
    2006 Range Rover Vogue td6

Total Downloaded
    Haha - I love building things!!

I have got 2 plans in mind:

1; My son is working in Oxford (UK) for 3 years, so one plan is to sell the truck here and go to the UK and buy another truck to tour around Europe in for 2 or 3 years. There are a few for sale in Germany/Netherlands that are similar to the MAN. I did look into shipping my truck to Europe, but it seems inordinately complicated and quite expensive. For this plan to work, my missus would have to resign, and she's not sure if she wants to. She also said I have to sell the truck here if I want to buy another one in Europe!

2; Using the experience of building this truck, I'd build another one here (in Australia). I'd still buy a MAN, and I'd still have the canopy made by the same people who made the first one, but I'd just buy a single cabin, instead of the dual cab, and that would give me a bit more room in the canopy. It was fun travelling with another couple, but we liked being just the two of us better and if other people want to tag along then maybe they just hire their own car. I'd also make it slightly lower, as you don't need 2100mm internal headroom.

If it doesn't sell, then I'll keep modifying what I've got, as it is an excellent unit. But I just thought that while it was "As New" I'd probably get a better price for it to start the next project.

Total Downloaded
    If you're serious about building another, go with a sleeper cab. When the 101 sells, the truck I have lined up is a sleeper. Plenty of room behind the seats for dogs, bags etc, but also set up as a 'guest bedroom'. I'm still going for the older fixable Mercedes, but with the Wifetec friendly EPS Gearbox. Plan to one day drive from here to the UK, or ship out there and drive back. Its easier to travel south thru Africa than it is North.

Total Downloaded
    How have you the Frolic sleeping system David? I am thinking about using the same in my Iveco.

Cheers
    KarlB

Total Downloaded
    Yes - it is called Froli, and it looks like this:

There's details of how it clips together and a link to their website here: Setting-up-the-bed

From memory it cost about $300-ish, which seems expensive for a few plastic squares, but it works really well. It keeps airflow under the mattress and stops things going moldy, and also makes the mattress more comfortable.

HTH
    David

Total Downloaded
    I've finally got around to making a blog post and a video about our 8 week holiday to the Kimberleys.

The video's got a mix of landscapes, the truck and people (mainly us!) and it'll give you a good idea of how things look up that way if you are thinking of doing something similar.

As a quick one paragraph summary, it was a brilliant trip. Truck performed well and all the hand-built stuff I'd made worked nicely. It is a very easy way to travel. Biggest cost was diesel, but we saved a lot on accommodation.

We wimped out in Kununurra (half way point) and checked into a luxury apartment with a huge pool due to the highest May temperatures they'd had in 20 years or something. It was seriously hot at night, staying over 30 degrees overnight a couple of times, so an air-conditioned room and swimming all day beguiled us.

Favourite spot was Middle Lagoon, up at Cape Leveque. Just heaven:

For more pictures & etc check out this post: Kimberley Trip 2015

For the video, check out this link. Watch it on YouTube (instead of below) - it's in High Definition and looks better bigger:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64hwcKZ2frM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64hwcKZ2frM[/ame]

Total Downloaded
    Also, if you are interested in how the composting toilet worked, see here:
    Composting-Toilet-Feedback

Just a heads up - there is a picture of 2 months worth of 'compost' so turn away now if that's too much for you

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast