Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has Painted and who has Paid?

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by bacicat View Post
    That's because professional paint shops comply with all OH&S and EPA requirements for the handling, use and disposal of the stuff so no, we don't go on about it because we know what is required. Unless you have full air wash helmets, you shouldn't be spraying 2 pack, but yes, a lot do. I actually value my brain cells.

The shop I work in runs multiple booths that you can drive semi trailers through and has up to 15 people working in it - the owner gets paint at the right price, I can assure you. As an industrial coatings facility, their idea of decent and yours may differ. I guarantee you can't buy a 4 litre DuPont Imron kit for a few hundred dollars.
    Who the hell paints a car with Imron... to go from brushes to Imron is a very large leap, but if all you want to do is make a point, then I'll let you have it.

Thought you worked at a hire shop? Career change? You seem in better spirits...

Homestar is offline Super Moderator & CA manager Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Yes, no one uses Imron to paint a car, but the mention of 'decent' 2 pack came up. . I've given my mate who owns the buisness 'a chop out' many a time when needed so know my way around a paint shop. I almost became a panel beater before I started my Electrical apprenticeship many moons ago. I'm still in the hire game, and yes, my spirits are higher since my recent transition.
    If you need to contact me please email homestarrunnerau@gmail.com - thanks - Gav.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by MR LR View Post
    People that suggest brush, roller or rattle can spraying vehicles really shouldn't be giving advice on the topic. Or 'restoring' anything other than a weatherboard shack.

Have a go spraying it yourself, do it with a decent 2 pack paint and it will come up nicely, should be able to do it for less than a few hundred dollars in paint. Land Rovers are easy to paint. Go for it!
    2 pack is by far the best paint, even better than powdercoating (admitted by powdercoaters). However it is highly toxic isocyanate (neurotoxin) based. By law in most states it cannot be sold to the general public. The next time i spray a car it will be my paint of choice but i will be spending a lot of money on air supplied breathing apparatus and a chemical suit beforehand. There are no old spray painters. Cancer and other illness rates are very high.

Total Downloaded
    MR LR, while simply rolling on paint does produce a less than perfect result, there ARE techniques for using a roller that produce a result that is damned hard to pick from a sprayed result. They typically involve getting the amount of thinners correct (gee, just like spraying) and, once you've rolled on the paint, holding the roller with your finger with your finger and dragging it over the surface. It sounds rough and ready but the results, in the hands of someone familiar with the technique, are more than good enough for a Landy and better than plenty I see on some cars sold these days.

You've got a valid point in saying that getting the right spray kit and learning how to use it is the best way to go. Other people would be also correct in suggesting that getting almost the right kit and learning how to use it (like me) are also going to produce a great job. However, those who've learned how to use a roller and/or brush can produce results that few if any would complain about.

On the other hand, a less than perfect spray job will always be so, just as a lousy brush or roller job will always be lousy.

There is more than way to remove the fur from the kitty and a spray gun with all the appropriate kit is only one of the options available.

Can we stop arguing now please?

Maybe I should share this story. In a previous existence, I was a surveyor. My chainman was one of those 'agricultural' types. He drove an HQ Holden that was rough even in those days. One weekend, he decided it needed a repaint... so he bought a can of house paint and a roller... and painted the poor thing. By cripes it looked like it too. No edges cut in. Surface was wall to wall orange peel. Then there were the bits he'd missed. The funny thing is, not only was it appropriate to the man, but appropriate to the vehicle. We noticed, we laughed (with him, he knew how rough it was), and life moved on. Funny bugga. I'll have to find more opportunities to tell stories about him. He'd approve of Landy's too.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by isuzurover View Post
    2 pack is by far the best paint, even better than powdercoating (admitted by powdercoaters). However it is highly toxic isocyanate (neurotoxin) based. By law in most states it cannot be sold to the general public. The next time i spray a car it will be my paint of choice but i will be spending a lot of money on air supplied breathing apparatus and a chemical suit beforehand. There are no old spray painters. Cancer and other illness rates are very high.
    2 pack paint? I painted my last boat with that... and still have the respirator and memories of my heart rate and all that other good stuff. By cripes you have to be careful with that stuff. On the other hand, once I'd worked out how to spray it, it produced a beautiful, rock hard finish... which I then stuffed up with later work (painted the hull too early didn't I ) and would have had to do it again, only I got cunning and sold the boat.

I've also used two pack on model aeroplanes and again, it produces a rock hard, nitro proof finish... that weighs a ton if you're not careful (and is the merry devil to sand off if weight matters which it did to me).

I'm not writing off two pack for my Landy, but would hope to avoid such issues come spraying time. Considering I've yet to start scrubbing back the chassis (which will be painted with a brush buggerit), it's an academic question for me at the moment.

Total Downloaded
    Many years ago when I was young, but who really can remember that,
    Our old neighbour had worked for Rolls Royce, as a painter.
    Hand painter.
    'People that suggest brush, roller or rattle can spraying vehicles really shouldn't be giving advice on the topic. Or 'restoring' anything other than a weatherboard shack'
    You should of seen the Finish, when he painted the house he lived in.
    Wish He lived next door now.

whitehillbilly

Total Downloaded
    Coachpainting Info

This is an interesting read. There was a bloke in LROCB who had hand painted a series 3 that looked like it was sprayed.

Total Downloaded
    I'm the third generation in our family to be into both Veteran cars and Land Rovers... and whilst cars were hand painted in the early days, it was an art form, and I've never seen a home job that looks half as good, another skill lost with time.

Plus by 1948 spray painting was a thing... so there's no reason someone should slap paint on a Land Rover with a brush.

Our 1905 Rover is even spray painted...

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by MR LR View Post
    People that suggest brush, roller or rattle can spraying vehicles really shouldn't be giving advice on the topic. Or 'restoring' anything other than a weatherboard shack.

Interesting attitude, but I guess I'm the same when it comes to some things people do to Land Rovers.
    Sprayed, high gloss finish isn't how it came from the factory but you see a lot of Land Rovers with a better than factory finish.

I don't have any Land Rovers that I'm 'restoring' but I have several that I intend to get back on the road and use. Some have virtually no paint left (like the one pictured earlier) and others that will just get sprayed olive drab (probably done outside as in Service).

Land Rovers are/were a working vehicle and were often brush painted or rollered. Not to 'restore' them but to brighten them up, please the wife, stop the Police keep pulling the vehicle for checks etc.
    If someone was 'restoring' a vehicle then I would agree with your comment but otherwise it's up to the individual, their financial circumstances etc. etc.

Live & let live.

Colin
    '56 Series 1 with homemade welder
    '65 Series IIa Dormobile
    '70 SIIa GS
    '76 SIII 88" (Isuzu C240)
    '81 SIII FFR
    '95 Defender Tanami
    '58 Series II (sold)
    Motorcycles :-
    Vincent Rapide, Panther M100, Norton BIG4, Electra & Navigator, Matchless G80C

Total Downloaded
    So Chaybra,
    Now the Cocky's, Backyarders, work truck , show car, once apon a time, folks have quietened

Have you managed to get enough info to decide on a paid job or give it a go yourself?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast