Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what to look for in a used 13-14' poptop

Total Downloaded

what to look for in a used 13-14' poptop

My wife and i are about to go looking for an older 13-14' pop top style caravan eg. windsor little shuttle you can get in either side or rear door type of thing...

whats the things to look out for when looking at them?

TIA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1998 Discovery 300TDi Manual SE7
    1996 Discovery 300TDi Auto
    2012 SZ Territory TX 2.7TDCi

"Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it." -- a warning from Adolf Hitler
    "If you don't have a sense of humour, you probably don't have any sense at all!" -- a wise observation by someone else
    'If everyone colludes in believing that war is the norm, nobody will recognize the imperative of peace." -- Anne Deveson
    “What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.” - Pericles
    "The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts." Marcus Aurelius

Total Downloaded
    I would say water damage and cracks in the cladding around the tops of windows and doors.

Dave

Total Downloaded
    Check the seals and the lift mechanism for the roof.
    They are'nt probably all that expensive, but it all adds up if you need to repair/replace.
    Obviously the running mechanicals, brakes, wheels/tyres-could be perrished if left sitting too long.

We looked at quite a few small vans before we bought the CT, and these seemed to be fairly common problems.

Probably not a concern, but something we learnt along the way was that Pop Tops actually weigh more than same sized standard vans. So this means generally less you can stow, and people often assume that the PT will be cheaper to tow, verses a high van. The extra weight sort of negates this basically.

Good luck in your search.

Total Downloaded
    The pop top offers much better air circulation
    Andrew
    DISCOVERY IS TO BE DISOWNED
    Midlife Crisis.Im going to get stuck into mine early and ENJOY it.
    Snow White MY14 TDV6 D4
    Alotta Fagina MY14 CAT 12M Motor Grader
    2003 Stacer 525 Sea Master Sport
    I made the 1 millionth AULRO post

Total Downloaded
    As Marcus says about pop tops versus standard vans. A standard van has usually more usable storage room internally and often a better lay out.

Regarding fuel usage required to tow them nearly everything there is out there to read says that there is no real difference between a pop top and a full height van.
    The most important thing to look for in a older van is water leak damage or ingress. Most have a marantee (is that how you spell it?) frame which is a lightweight kind of bonded wood product and it falls apart and rots if it gets wet.

Jayco have made for quite some time some pretty good smaller vans that have aluminium frames and fibreglass/bonded wood cladding, they don't rot from what I know.

You may be very surprised at how reasonably priced you can buy larger older vans, I'm not talking 24 foot 3.5 ton monsters but 17'- 18' single axle vans, is it necessary to buy such a small van Dave?

Something I have heard many times previously is if you have not owned a van before always try to buy a larger van than you think you require. The other thing you find is people often buy their first van without a shower or toilet because they plan to just stay in caravan parks. Most people I have ever spoken to who went down this path usually regret big time not buying a van with at least a combo WC/shower unit.
    Cheers,
    Terry

D1 V8 (Gone)
    D2a HSE V8 (Gone)
    D3 HSE TDV6 (Unfortunately Gone)
    D4 V8

Total Downloaded
    Yeah i know terry

the better half knows exactly what she wants

we were hoping to get something the old landy can tow to events as well...

"Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it." -- a warning from Adolf Hitler
    "If you don't have a sense of humour, you probably don't have any sense at all!" -- a wise observation by someone else
    'If everyone colludes in believing that war is the norm, nobody will recognize the imperative of peace." -- Anne Deveson
    “What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.” - Pericles
    "The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts." Marcus Aurelius

Total Downloaded
    Dave.
    Is the Good Lady handy with a sewing machine????
    Ive been looking at a few pop tops online,a fairly common conversion seems to be a cloth "cupboard" on top of fixed cupboards and fixed to the ceiling.They have zipper doors,obviously you just put the contents on the bed or somewhere whilst traveling.
    Andrew
    DISCOVERY IS TO BE DISOWNED
    Midlife Crisis.Im going to get stuck into mine early and ENJOY it.
    Snow White MY14 TDV6 D4
    Alotta Fagina MY14 CAT 12M Motor Grader
    2003 Stacer 525 Sea Master Sport
    I made the 1 millionth AULRO post

Total Downloaded
    looking at a 15' jayco tomorrow all going well.

an old but good unit by all reports

looks a lot like, but not exactly the same as this apparently

(was no pics i could get a copy of yet)

Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2w.jpg (48.3 KB, 116 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (44.2 KB, 113 views)

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by incisor View Post
    looking at a 15' jayco tomorrow all going well.

an old but good unit by all reports

looks a lot like, but not exactly the same as this apparently

(was no pics i could get a copy of yet)

I'd avoid it if it's an ultralight type. You can pick them as they only have a pretend stamped 'C' section chassis. If it's one that has had a proper chassis fitted it's probably fine (well it's probably fine even if it's still standard, but if your buying a 'van, why buy one that can cause you problems ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Proper cars--
    '92 Range Rover 3.8V8 ... 5spd manual
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I :burnrubber:
    '63 ID19 x 2 :wheelchair:
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas
    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual :zzz:
    '11 Poogoe RCZ HDI 6spd manual

Total Downloaded
    Thanks to the advice from those above I was able to scratch that one of the list..

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast