Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Long Range Tanks. Replacement or

Total Downloaded
    LRA 134 ltr tank fitted by TJM. No issue with swar bar or HR tow bar. Clearance looks ok.

Cheers,

Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by LR V8 View Post
    LRA 134 ltr tank fitted by TJM. No issue with swar bar or HR tow bar. Clearance looks ok.

Cheers,

Pete
    Hi Pete,

Did the sway bar mount extension come with the tank of did you get them fabricated?

Thanks,

Darren

Total Downloaded
    Hiyas

Just some info on the RH rear 45ltr.

As the story goes - The Sth Effrican mafr was blufffed out of export to Australia by one of the big aftermarket retailers with threats of legal action, and supposed Oz non approval??????? Anyway local distributors could no longer source them. If one goes online to the SA web site they come up but with $0 Aus. Can't get them privately either.

Thinks it was Mulgo, is trying to get an Aust. replacement up and running. Did s say he'd call when they were up and running. So, suggest if you want one talk to them. Show demand.

However, did see the post about sourcing from Singapore. :0) might be the way to go.

Cheers

RF

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fischer View Post
    Hiyas Just some info on the RH rear 45ltr. As the story goes - The Sth Effrican mafr was blufffed out of export to Australia by one of the big aftermarket retailers with threats of legal action, and supposed Oz non approval??????? Anyway local distributors could no longer source them. If one goes online to the SA web site they come up but with $0 Aus. Can't get them privately either. Thinks it was Mulgo, is trying to get an Aust. replacement up and running. Did s say he'd call when they were up and running. So, suggest if you want one talk to them. Show demand. However, did see the post about sourcing from Singapore. :0) might be the way to go. Cheers RF

Must have missed the post about them being available in Singapore.
    Do you have any info on this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by dcale View Post
    Hi Pete,

Did the sway bar mount extension come with the tank of did you get them fabricated?

Thanks,

Darren
    Came with the kit Darren.

Tank was $1155. Install $450. Fill tank for leak test $121 (they only put in 120 ltrs).

I also like the fact that they are now painted black

Cheers,

Pete
    1963 S2A 88 VTF 113-300 6 RAR, Vietnam.
    1989 Perentie FFR 49-390 1 MP BN.
    1990 Perentie GS 50-087 5 RAR.
    2013 Defender Wagon.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by LR V8 View Post
    More recent news...

I had a chat with LRA this morning. Apparently they redesigned the replacement main tank 2 years ago and it is now compatible with the sway bar - no need to remove it.

I also asked if it was compatible with the HR Class 4 tow bar and they said they were not aware of any issues.

Also... looking at the photo, the rear of the tank is now angled at each corner. Perhaps the stock tow bar now fits with it as well ? Worth a follow up for those interested.

https://longrangeautomotive.com.au/L...eplacement~256

Cheers,

Pete

I had one of these fitted to a 2011 110 a couple of months ago, fits with the factory towbar. They removed the towbar to put the tank in and replaced after fitting the tank. Also came with extended brackets to keep the sway bar.

Total Downloaded
    Okay.... so will it fit a Puma 130 with factory towbar, swaybar in place and a SALISBURY diff?

DiscoMick Guest
    I have a Long Ranger 120 litre in the 110 - fits fine.

Sent from my SM-G900I using AULRO mobile app

Total Downloaded
    Out of curiousity, how many of you have a long range tank in the rear and also while it was out, got the access panel in the rear boot cut in or had it cut in before?

What I am really looking for is, does this change the position of the actual pump position in comparison to the original when you have the larger tank in or do they in up in the same place. Just don't want to cut and then later install a long range to find out I can't access it. Murphy is a long time friend of mine....

I am about to drop and cut in with the original to get access, but not sure if I will go one large tank or go for the many smaller one to fit in the rear. I will eventually also like have the under seat sill tank too over time though that is of no effect to the above.

Total Downloaded
    My 300Tdi 110 had a Long Ranger main and sill tank combo (155 litres) when I bought it. Around 1,350km safe touring (either fully loaded high speed, or around town - I'm sure I could get better at unloaded highway cruise).
    The 110 came with a tow bar.

It was good, but I still had to top up with expensive and perhaps dubious fuel in the Gulf, or across the Kimberley.

I fitted 2 LRA sill tanks, which are 70 litres (RHS) and 50 litres (LHS) (due to battery box). These sit flush with or slightly higher than the chassis rails. This gives me a safe touring distance of about 2,400km, or just a single refuel from Melbourne to Perth. I'm sure that if I kept it at under 100kph and drove on cool nights, I could probably push that to 3,000km

It keeps the centre of gravity low, allows me to 'refuel' the main tank without getting diesel on my hands, and balances the car well. My side steps didn't fit after the installation, so I had to fit Terra Firma rock/tree sliders. The rock sliders provide Side Impact Protection, but are too high to protect the bottom of the tanks. I've obviously lost some rock crawling clearance, where the rock or rock step under the wheel might be higher than the chassis rail.

I like that I can buy cheap, clean fuel at a servo of my choice, and that for remote trips such as the Canning Stock Route, or zig zagging through the Kimberley, I don't need to detour for fuel or carry jerry cans on the roof.

I don't tow, and because there are 5 of us, we carry light weight camping gear. Weight would be the biggest consideration, and if you're towing, why not just carry jerrys on the trailer.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast