Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rivnut Tool(Nutsert,etc)

Total Downloaded
    We have this one,the MFX-612 from these people.

Nutsert Tools

We have done hundreds of 12mm nutserts with it,also difficult when you first start,instructions are absolute crap

There is a u-tube vid about it,but still difficult to understand.

Hard on the arm muscles as well.

The small tool suited us as we use it in cramped places on equipment in plant rooms,in ceilings,etc.
    Paul

D2,D2,D2a,D4,'09 Defender 110(sons), all moved on.

'56 S1,been in the family since...'56
    Comes out of hibernation every few months for a run

Perentie Brad Guest

Smile Rivnut

Some of the cheaper built aircraft I work on (Cessna) use rivnuts for non structural applications, if it is something that gets undone regularly they are a pain in the butt because they eventually come loose particularly in aluminium as it is a soft material.
    If you are doing a build for something that will be undone and done up to remove something fairly often I would recommend anchor nuts over rivnuts.
    Google "Aircraft Spruce" they are an aviation parts supply company, and search anchor nuts, they are much stronger slightly more effort to install but not hard,
    if anyone wants to know how to install them message me and I should be able to find and scan some instructions from a manual. Down side they are not that common in metric unless you have a part number from a French aircraft, available standard, metal lock or nyloc and also capped so they are air/water tight.

Total Downloaded

Riv Nut Fastening Kit

Trade Tools (Brisbane) have a Rivnut fastening kit on Sale $59.00 down to $29.00.

I'll put a report on how well it works once used!

Cheers.

Total Downloaded
    It looks pretty much the same at the Kincrome one thats sells in Bunnings for $68. I think the tool is fine for the M3, M4, M5 but M6 take a fair bit or force to crush, and because of the handles its hard to set them straight.

There is an alternative Kincrome for $140, it looks like it will work better but I have no experience with it.

Links

2015 Defender 110

Total Downloaded
    Drive a bargain if you can because there is a 100% mark up on kin chrome tools as I know as I can get them wholesale.

Total Downloaded

Kinchrome Rivnut tools

I have both Kinchome Rivnut tool sets.
    I have found that non splined riv nuts may turn, and have spent ages trying to remove the tool head from the newly inserted rivnut. Too much compression on land rover defender panels can distort the rivnut with associated screw issues.
    I had to purchase the second cheaper Kinchrome set as I buggered the thread on the M6 tool trying to hold the rivnut from inside the front fender space with pliers, so as to remove the tool threaded end from a turning rivnut.
    If you do a good insertion, it's a thing of beauty, spinning or over compressed riv nuts are a pain in the backside.
    If you can, play with some old sheet metal to get the hang of it.
    The Kinchrome kits are very good by the way.
    Ken
    2012 Defender 110 (A silver one!)
    Defender:LS3 6.2 V8 and 6 Speed Auto, ARB BP51 shocks, springs, Damper, Gwyn Lewis running gear, Superior Engineering Radius arms, Long Ranger tank, Recaros', Dual battery, LED lighting, ARB Lockers etc etc.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by karlz View Post
    It looks pretty much the same at the Kincrome one thats sells in Bunnings for $68. I think the tool is fine for the M3, M4, M5 but M6 take a fair bit or force to crush, and because of the handles its hard to set them straight.

There is an alternative Kincrome for $140, it looks like it will work better but I have no experience with it.

Links

Damn! How did I miss this .... the has well finished now Say, how did they work when you got them ?

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Proper cars--
    '92 Range Rover 3.8V8 ... 5spd manual
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I :burnrubber:
    '63 ID19 x 2 :wheelchair:
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas
    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual :zzz:
    '11 Poogoe RCZ HDI 6spd manual

Total Downloaded
    There is also an attachment to be used with an impact driver which pulls them up nice and tight.
    You can also buy little kits for each size which have a HT bolt and specially machined nut to install them with two spanners.
    Ovesco sell the individual spanner tools.
    The impact tool can be bought Cordless Drill Nutsert Rivet Adaptor Attachment M7 M3 M6 Rivets | eBay

Total Downloaded
    We sell the M7 adaptors at work , good or alloy DO NOT use on steel or S/steel inserts .The best is a POP PNT210 not cheap but easy to use refer to Youtube.
    The same manufacture has heaps of different sizes and styles.
    You can get hex shaped the wont turn in the hole(must have hex hole ti start with)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123