Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Aid Kits

Total Downloaded

First Aid Kits

So, does anyone have a list of what goodies they carry in their first aid kits in their LR?

I have a fairly comprehensive kit in the car for traveling, and a larger one at home, but with a trip coming up with the small fry during the holidays, I just want to make sure that I haven't missed anything.

And yes, both myself and the eldest have our qualifications.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Basil135 View Post
    So, does anyone have a list of what goodies they carry in their first aid kits in their LR?

I have a fairly comprehensive kit in the car for travelling, and a larger one at home, but with a trip coming up with the small fry during the holidays, I just want to make sure that I haven't missed anything.

And yes, both myself and the eldest have our qualifications.
    Good post Basil , I am about to source a new First Aid kit. Watching with interest.......

Total Downloaded
    Cheers Sleepy...

I have done a bit of Googling (is that a word yet? )

Here is a fairly comprehensive listing.

Any suggested additions to this one?

I would use the quantities as a minimum, and, as space dictates, add more of the more useful items.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Total Downloaded
    Thanks Basil. Yes, I must do a course one day

It'sNotWorthComplaining! Guest
    I have a very very basic first aid kit in my wallet.... a couple of band aids. Seriously, I'm amazed how many times they have been called for, during kids sporting matches, out and about. They don't take up much room and are always handy.

Total Downloaded
    electrical tape
    one of those one size fits all cheap plastic ponchos
    Splinter probes

other than that your list covers pretty much everything thats in the kits that go in the military vehicles. (although the quantities differ)
    Dave

"In a Landrover the other vehicle is your crumple zone."

For spelling call Rogets, for mechanicing call me.

Fozzy, 2.25D SIII Ex DCA Ute
    Tdi autoManual d1 (gave it to the Mupion)
    Archaeoptersix 1990 6x6 dual cab(This things staying)

If you've benefited from one or more of my posts please remember, your taxes paid for my skill sets, I'm just trying to make sure you get your monies worth.
    If you think you're in front on the deal, pay it forwards.

Total Downloaded
    The hardest part of getting a new first aid kit is finding a bag or box that you like. Eventually I found the bag I was after on legear.com.au. Cost heaps but I was able to fill it for free at work.

I carry enough in my kit so that if we get stuck somewhere remote or I come across something big on the highway I am fairly self sufficient. The further away from a major town you go the longer it takes for help to arrive and 4wd ambulances are rare and a helicopter is not always guaranteed.

I dont have any formula for my kit, just lots of the main items.

Bandages - as many as can fit of different sizes as a snake bite requires a couple of rolls if done properly and decent lacerations require bandages and dressings.

Wound dressings - again as many as you can fit of different sizes. Get 3 or more people in a crash and you may need them all.

Triangular bandage - at least 3, you can never have enough of these.

Burn aid gel dressings - these are dressings packaged with the gel and are fantastic for burns whilst on the way to hospital.

Saline solution, antiseptic cream or spray - lets face it, your probly gonna be dirty.

Emergency blankets - as many as you can fit, in an emergency they have a 1001 uses.

Small drug kit - painkillers and anything specific you might require.

Latex gloves, safety glasses - look after yourself as well as the casualty.

As well as the medical items my kit also contains survival type items such as glow sticks, fire starting gear, torch, batteries, sports drink sachets, small folding knife and a real big mutha of a knife. I also have a windscreen punch and a small crow bar for smashing vehicle glass or prying open doors.

By sticking to just the basics you will have most things covered and the rest you should be able to improvise with the basic items. First aiders arent expected to perform miracles or roadside surgery. Control the bleeding, put unconscious people on their side etc.

Hope this gets you all thinking, not perfect for everyone and my kit is always evolving.

Total Downloaded
    The amount of each item you carry will depend on how long you are from a hospital / medical centre. Wound dressings for example will have to be changed regularly if you are bleeding a lot.. Account for 2 a day per wound.

Other things will depend on where you are going, such as salt for leeches etc..

You may also want to consider splitting it up into two kits : medical kit and a survival kit. Both should be able to be removed from your car quickly in the case of fire etc.
    Hercules: 1986 110 Isuzu 3.9 (4BD1-T)
    Brutus: 1969 109 ExMil 2a FFT (loved and lost)

Total Downloaded
    There is a lot of first aid kits around every ones choice
    I bought a couple of these, not overly expensive
    and the money goes to a good cause

Total Downloaded
    Currently, the kit I carry in the car is packed into a video camera bag that I picked up at one of the cheap shops.

Not only does it have heaps of pockets etc, but is soft, which I feel is important.

Another addition that I have thought of is syringes of different sizes. Not for injecting, but for rinsing open wounds with saline.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast