Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Historic/interesting sites to explore close to Sydney?

Total Downloaded

Historic/interesting sites to explore close to Sydney?

G’day everyone,

Does anybody know of any historic/interesting sites close to Sydney that are worth exploring? For example places like the Joadja ghost town (near Berrima), Glen Davis oil shale works ruins (near Capertree) and the old train tunnels and platform at Helensburgh. I’m primarily looking for places to go for day-trips, however if anybody has suggestions for places further away I’ll still be very happy to hear them!

Thank you in advance!

Edward

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by I Love My Landy! View Post
    G’day everyone,

Does anybody know of any historic/interesting sites close to Sydney that are worth exploring? For example places like the Joadja ghost town (near Berrima), Glen Davis oil shale works ruins (near Capertree) and the old train tunnels and platform at Helensburgh. I’m primarily looking for places to go for day-trips, however if anybody has suggestions for places further away I’ll still be very happy to hear them!

Thank you in advance!

Edward
    Qld
    PaulT

REMLR 256 / SLOw 4 (P)

W/Shops/trailers & GS's
    RRs, Disco's, 110s & 109s.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by pop058 View Post
    Qld
    Hehe, yeah i'll get up that way one day.

Edward

Total Downloaded
    Not close to Sydney (thank god) but I suggest Bendethra, West of Moruya on the South Coast, 3 hours from you, great camping, caves to explore and old gold mines in area, no problem showing you around, Regards Frank.

Total Downloaded
    Historic?....the old Cronulla Worker's Club? It's now a Hogs Breath among other other things....the hardstand at Grays Point Sea Scout Hall where back in the 70's Jenny and I........errrrr

Total Downloaded
    This is probably not worthy of a day trip but can be incorporated in a visit to Goulburn (where there's plenty of history).
    Stop at the Derrick Rest Area at Towrang & check out the site of the Towrang Stockade.

The Towrang Stockade
    Scott

Total Downloaded
    HILLEND, i haven't been there but it looks a great place to go.Its historic got an old mine tour & ld town to have a look around.I wanna get there oneday..

Total Downloaded
    Yerranderie is well worth a visit, I've done it in a day trip from Orange. Also Jenolan Caves are well worth seeing.
    Zig Zag Railway is always a good one even in winter, just take some warm gear, we took the kids one year when it was snowing.
    In Sydney the Quarantine station at North head is fascinating and I can recommend the ghost tour
    I would agree that Hill End is a good one as well, go out from Bathurst along the Bridle Track and return via Sofala. Probably a bit far for a day run though. The pub has accommodation and there are good campsites along the Bridle Track.

Regards,
    Tote
    Go home, your igloo is on fire....
    2014 Chile Red L494 RRS Autobiography Supercharged
    MY2016 Aintree Green Defender 130 Cab Chassis
    1957 Series 1 107 ute - In pieces

Assorted Falcons and Jeeps.....

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Tote View Post
    Yerranderie is well worth a visit, I've done it in a day trip from Orange. Also Jenolan Caves are well worth seeing.
    Zig Zag Railway is always a good one even in winter, just take some warm gear, we took the kids one year when it was snowing.
    In Sydney the Quarantine station at North head is fascinating and I can recommend the ghost tour
    I would agree that Hill End is a good one as well, go out from Bathurst along the Bridle Track and return via Sofala. Probably a bit far for a day run though. The pub has accommodation and there are good campsites along the Bridle Track.

Regards,
    Tote
    Yep , Yerranderie is very worthwhile, return via Dingo Dell (steep)...or via Wombeyan...

BTW, the aforementioned Bridle Track is quite narrow with steep drop-offs - take care

Total Downloaded
    The Great North Road at Wiseman's Ferry for greatest example of convict roadmaking, and the similar earthworks at Victoria Pass.

Settlers Arms at St Albans, and road to it with convict barracks.

Oldest church in Australia at Ebenezer.

Hopsack Bridge at Emu Plains. (My car got broken into in the carpark.)

Regards Philip A

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast