Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kalgoorlie Earthquake

Total Downloaded

Kalgoorlie Earthquake

Well we had a bit of a rumble yesterday morning at 8:17am.

I was enjoying a bit of a sleep-in and it was enough to wake me up and get me out of bed in a hurry - shook hell out of the house for about 10 seconds and was by far the worst that I have ever felt.

Epi-centre was closer to Boulder than Kalgoorlie, and registered 5.0 on the Richter Scale - not as big as Meckering (6.1) but by far the biggest ever recorded in the Goldfields (we experience smaller tremors here on a fairly frequent basis - often difficult to tell if they are in fact a natural event or the result of mining activities). This one was definitely nothing to do with the mining industry.

There was quite a lot of fairly extensive damage over in Boulder to many of the older buildings there - reports of about 80 buildings serioulsy damaged. Have seen pics of pubs with collapsed verandahs / balconies, Boulder town hall and war memorial buildings extensively damaged, Boulder Primary School damaged both structurally and with collapsed ceilings in classrooms (fortunately kids weren't at school yet) and numerous others. On TV last night, sections of Burt Street looked a bit like a war zone, with rubble on footpaths & in the street. Also showed one house partly collapsed and on fire. The main shopping centre of Boulder is closed off to keep the rubber neckers out, and will be so for at least a couple of days.

Only reports of injury are two people struck by falling brickwork etc - one young girl pinned under rubble in reception area of local business. Fortunately, neither of them injured seriously.

Oh well ................ another life experience. At least nothing serious and we are far more fortunate than some in other areas who experience worse. Definitely gives you a strange feeling when the whole place shakes like that though.
    Cheers .........

BMKAL

Total Downloaded
    Did it cause any problems in the mines? ie underground?

Missed it by a few days!

Total Downloaded
    What's the go with all the lates earthquakes and Volcanoes

Were those Myans correct about 2012

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    Did it cause any problems in the mines? ie underground?

Missed it by a few days!
    Superpit was immediately evacuated - think they were going back in last night.

There are currently no underground mines that I can think of working in Kalgoorlie / Boulder. Further out, so far haven't heard of any impact. Next door neighbour is underground driller at Kanowna Belle - just spoke to him as he was on night shift last night - said no damage out there. My son is underground a little further out at Trident - he was underground yesterday morning at the time of the quake and said that they never even knew about until they heard it on the news.
    Cheers .........

BMKAL

Tombie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by land864 View Post
    What's the go with all the lates earthquakes and Volcanoes

Were those Myans correct about 2012
    Continual tectonic shift / pressure...

Just the planet 'loosening her belt' after a long rest

Total Downloaded
    "Earthquakes will occur in one place after another" is part of a prophecy in Matthew chapter 24 - marking the end of this system of things...
    No doubt there will be more...

Total Downloaded

Kalgoorlie earthquake.

No Richter Scale any longer and hasn't been for many moons. It's now called the Moment Magnitude Scale which is virtually the same.
    Lucky no one was hurt by falling debris and the damage was probably more because the buildings were in bad condition and rotten with termites than the actual force of the tremor.
    Alan.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by BMKal View Post
    Well we had a bit of a rumble yesterday morning at 8:17am.

I was enjoying a bit of a sleep-in and it was enough to wake me up and get me out of bed in a hurry - shook hell out of the house for about 10 seconds and was by far the worst that I have ever felt.

Epi-centre was closer to Boulder than Kalgoorlie, and registered 5.0 on the Richter Scale - not as big as Meckering (6.1) but by far the biggest ever recorded in the Goldfields (we experience smaller tremors here on a fairly frequent basis - often difficult to tell if they are in fact a natural event or the result of mining activities). This one was definitely nothing to do with the mining industry.

There was quite a lot of fairly extensive damage over in Boulder to many of the older buildings there - reports of about 80 buildings serioulsy damaged. Have seen pics of pubs with collapsed verandahs / balconies, Boulder town hall and war memorial buildings extensively damaged, Boulder Primary School damaged both structurally and with collapsed ceilings in classrooms (fortunately kids weren't at school yet) and numerous others. On TV last night, sections of Burt Street looked a bit like a war zone, with rubble on footpaths & in the street. Also showed one house partly collapsed and on fire. The main shopping centre of Boulder is closed off to keep the rubber neckers out, and will be so for at least a couple of days.

Only reports of injury are two people struck by falling brickwork etc - one young girl pinned under rubble in reception area of local business. Fortunately, neither of them injured seriously.

Oh well ................ another life experience. At least nothing serious and we are far more fortunate than some in other areas who experience worse. Definitely gives you a strange feeling when the whole place shakes like that though.
    another life experience .. Yep was in the Newcastle one i think it was 5.5 dont really want to do that again..Once was enough..

VladTepes is offline Major Part of the Heart and Soul of AULRO Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    You people are clueless...

Tectonic plates indeed....

Everyone knows they are casued by promiscuous women !

Iranian cleric: Promiscuous women cause quakes

Is that what they mean when they say "The earth moved for me!"
    It's not broken. It's "Carbon Neutral".

gone

1993 Defender 110 ute "Doris"
    1994 Range Rover Vogue LSE "The Luxo-Barge"
    1994 Defender 130 HCPU "Rolly"
    1996 Discovery 1

current

1995 Defender 130 HCPU and Suzuki GSX1400

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by VladTepes View Post
    You people are clueless...

Tectonic plates indeed....

Everyone knows they are casued by promiscuous women !

Iranian cleric: Promiscuous women cause quakes

Is that what they mean when they say "The earth moved for me!"
    Hehehe ............. well when I first woke up and the house was shaking - I just thought it was SWMBO on the thunderbox.
    Cheers .........

BMKAL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast