Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parking fine amounts

Total Downloaded

Parking fine amounts

Got a parking fine today, could have been completely avoided but I had a bag of 50c coins and a bag of 5c coins, the machine took neither so I took the risk and got burned. No argument there. The irony - I was heading to the NAB to swap the said bags of coins and I was 5 minutes at maximum.

So no need to tell me to suck it up or HTFU, because fines are a voluntary tax and I consciously made the decision to pay them. I'm not debating that at all.

But what I am interested in is how much you paid for your last fine. This one was $88, which I found somewhat excessive, given that the fine for the same offence in the City of Melbourne CBD is $57. Most suburban councils fine somewhere in the order of sub $50.

Total Downloaded
    Parking fines in Bundaberg are $10.00

Total Downloaded
    Is this a fine issued by a private company for parking in a private car park?

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardchina View Post
    Is this a fine issued by a private company for parking in a private car park?
    I'd say yes... Mine a couple of months ago was around the same cost from memory, and occurred in a similar vein to the OP.

To the OP, is there a "discounted rate" if you pay within 14 days?? Brings it down to $66 I think. If it's the same company I got stung by, they offered to reduce their fine for an early payment. What good natured souls...

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by brenno View Post
    I'd say yes... Mine a couple of months ago was around the same cost from memory, and occurred in a similar vein to the OP.

To the OP, is there a "discounted rate" if you pay within 14 days?? Brings it down to $66 I think. If it's the same company I got stung by, they offered to reduce their fine for an early payment. What good natured souls...

Check into the law on the private issued fines.. AFAIK - they have to issue the fine to the person driving the car at the time.... not the owner of said car. So if the fine was a while ago, and your memory is real vaigue on the subject of who was driving at the time... It's up to them to find out who was driving and reissue the fine to that person. **** em, dont pay.

Total Downloaded
    Oh yeah - ring up Vic Roads and blast them for releasing your personal details to a private entity.... So much for the privacy laws

Total Downloaded
    Offence/penalty; 'Disobey no stopping sign' / $96 (from memory).

....and that was in 2002! It's now $197 !!

Scenario;

I recall it was a clear Autumn morning, with the sun smiling down upon me and the fallen leaves gently swirling in a vortex as I roared down the laneway to recover a set of keys I had left at home, and required for work, to which I was now late.

I knew of the red sign but thought, 'who could possibly object to such a minor infraction, given the time of day, location and type of vehicle used (V8 S1 Disco, blue)'.

In less than the obligatory five minute grace period, I'm on my return and leaping through the back gate (mens rea) when who do I spy....Ranger Carl. Carl, printed on his name plate and etched in my memory - Carl, you bastard. Carl, having disobeyed a 'One way' traffic sign, parked his private vehicle blocking all other traffic, leaving the drivers door open (and therefore the (his) vehicle unsecured), has waddled over to happless blue Land Rover and was in the process of scratching out a fine.

(Local Council's in NSW allow Parking Rangers to use their private vehicles to get around whilst working)

I said, 'Good morning Sir, goodness me you're quick' (words to that effect).
    Carl, - no reply, but he did acknowledge my existence.
    I said, 'Did you notice that car behind you. That wasn't there when I left (142 seconds ago - desperately trying to change the focus of his attention).
    Carl, 'Don't worry 'bout that. I'll get to it'.

I was handed the notice and, given the obstruction caused by what I presumed to be his vehicle, reversed the wrong way down a one way lane and launched the Disco in the direction of work.

So, that 'fellow', Carl was my last official contact with a Bomber. The pain of donating to the ambivalent Local Council has long since passed, but my white whale (ironic given Carl is not white but proportioned like said mammal) is still active and polluting my local waters....

Carl, I'm not over it.

Captain Ahab.

I think it's obscene to have to pay to park on a road, the use of which is already metered by paying rego. I know it's to limit you're stay and a deterrent and so on, but really $100 + is not even a joke. Carl (his real name) broke several laws to 'do his job' but unfortunately, he doesn't have any exemption to do so (unlike Police, Ambo's and Firies). That's what really got, and get's me.

So Joel, I agree we all generally accept our errors and take a punt in the spirit of life and good humour, but the penalty far outweighs the 'crime' in most circumstances.

In NSW a low range speeding fine is $84 but overstay the dreaded parking meter and it's $197.

I'm off for a Bex and lie down...and it's still raining

Total Downloaded
    Er, how far away was the nearest legal park?

Regards Philip A

Total Downloaded
    For mine there wasn't one. In the direction of travel for that road there was my driveway, a (the) No Stopping zone for 3 or 4 metres, then the forecourt for a mechanical workshop (20 metres) - which had closed down - then an intersecting road...

Matt

Oh, my driveway being a gated enterance to a unit block which the disco would fit in anyway....
    Last edited by mudmouse; 29th May 2010 at 08:55 AM. Reason: explain why i didn't use 'my' driveway

Total Downloaded
    They really are low forms of life, just above child molesters, but below drug dealers.

I had one council ****** ring the cops on me because i refused to give her my details (walking the dog on the beach). The cops told her they were too busy to bother - so she rang them back 2 mins later and told them i was phyisicaly threatening her and she needed assistance asap .

Luckily i had her on camera phone video ..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast