Thread: Defender Drop Arm/Pitman Arm puller

Total Downloaded

Defender Drop Arm/Pitman Arm puller

In true style, our Defender likes to mark her turf, but yesterday she was marking it a little too emphatically from her steering box. Checked it out and sure enough, the bottom seal needs replacing.
    So, I get the kit to replace the seal in situ and make a start - except I didn't check the opening required for a suitable puller. It seems the minimum opening required is 55mm.....
    Well, I'm having "fun" now - finding a supplier of a suitable tool/puller to get the arm off.

Any one have any ideas for Perth area? I've tried Coventry's, Repco, Britparts (who are on the hunt as well) but not having much luck.
    Surely there's something? Isn't there?

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD View Post
    In true style, our Defender likes to mark her turf, but yesterday she was marking it a little too emphatically from her steering box. Checked it out and sure enough, the bottom seal needs replacing.
    So, I get the kit to replace the seal in situ and make a start - except I didn't check the opening required for a suitable puller. It seems the minimum opening required is 55mm.....
    Well, I'm having "fun" now - finding a supplier of a suitable tool/puller to get the arm off.

Any one have any ideas for Perth area? I've tried Coventry's, Repco, Britparts (who are on the hunt as well) but not having much luck.
    Surely there's something? Isn't there?
    WhenI took the drop arm off on my truck recently I used my normal variable pullers but used 7mm wide electrical zip-ties and duct tape to stop any chance of the puller arms leaving the arm prematurely. Worked well and kept the job 'fright-free'.

Caveat emptor...

Total Downloaded
    I bought mine from Trade tools for 22.00 and it did the trick a treat, It was slightly too big, but it came off easily, here is a picture

and at work

Hope this helps, cheers Mark

More about the process on my blog

www.landroverfreak.blogspot.com

Total Downloaded
    Cheers Windsock - I ended up buying a two jaw gear pulled from toolmart which got the arm off.
    Now for a feed and then on with changing the seal....

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by 2234jones View Post
    I bought mine from Trade tools for 22.00 and it did the trick a treat, It was slightly too big, but it came off easily, here is a picture

and at work

Hope this helps, cheers Mark

More about the process on my blog

Land Rover 200 Tdi Defender owner
    Ahh- if only I had returned to this thread before going out and spending $50 for a similar tool!!! I'll check your blog anyway before I go any further.

Cheers Mark

Total Downloaded
    I honestly though they would cost more, but it didn't which saed money, as the wife doesn't like me spending too much on my project. he he, good luck.
    cheers Mark

Land Rover 200 Tdi Defender owner

Total Downloaded
    this is what we used to use to remove them.......... a ten ton hydraulic puller.......wound up to maximum pressure and then
    we had to belt the arm with a big hammer to get it to release.......

use to let go with a loud scary BANG........

10 Ton Hydraulic Gear Puller & Bearing Splitter Set

Total Downloaded
    Well the drop arm came off easy enough with a 6" two leg puller. But after numerous phone calls around the place I've decided to replace the steering box with a new one. As far as I could establish the steering box hadn't been looked at since it was put together in 94 and the majority of recommendations was to overhaul the box now. Since this wouldn't be a cheap exercise (at $880) it seems better to cough up a bit more for a new one. So after hours trying to get a broken circlip out (without success ) I got the steering box out last night and weather permitting, I'll get the new box in and I won't have to drive the 'other' car this weekend.