Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QLD mod/engineer plates.... do they mean anything in NSW

Total Downloaded

QLD mod/engineer plates.... do they mean anything in NSW

Hi all

I'm looking at buying a defender. I have looked at one interstate in QLD which has a mod/engineer plate.

Do these plates help in NSW with rego and mr plod etc? Or would i have to get it re-engineered in NSW?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Total Downloaded
    I have one of these plates on a Defender that I purchased from Qld and had no trouble with the Blue Slip inspector accepting it and vehicle being registered in NSW with modification. No further engineers cert was required.

BTW, remaining Qld rego will have to be cancelled (it is not transferable to NSW) and a permit obtained from Qld Transport to drive unregistered vehicle back to NSW. Then get it Blue slipped within a couple of days and present to RTA.
    Roger

Total Downloaded
    Can you drive the vehicle into NSW, have it blue slipped and then transfer the rego - just might save driving unregistered and uninsured and hopefully the notice of disposal will protect the seller.
    Cheers
    Slunnie

~ Discovery II Td5 ~ Discovery 3dr V8 ~ Series IIa 6cyl ute ~ Series II V8 ute ~

Total Downloaded
    yeh have the seller delay getting their refund by a couple of days so you can drive it on the qland rego just do the right thing by the seller no speeding saves lots of paper work

p38arover is offline Major part of the heart and soul of AULRO.com
    Administrator
    I'm here to help you!
    Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    The problem with Qld is that the seller has to have an safety inspection before they advertise the vehicle and it only lasts 90 days. I suspect this is why so many Qld vehicles are sold without rego.
    Ron B.
    VK2OTC

2003 L322 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Auto
    2007 Yamaha XJR1300
    Previous: 1983, 1986 RRC; 1995, 1996 P38A; 1995 Disco1; 1984 V8 County 110; Series IIA

RIP Bucko - Riding on Forever

Total Downloaded
    Thanks for the input.

I have bought cars from interstate before but not one with a mod plate.

The mod plate is for the seats in the back and one for the long range fuel tank.

Total Downloaded
    As long as the vehicle has been rego-ed in any state with the mod plate, it is registerable in all states.
    If you don't like trucks, stop buying stuff.
    http://www.aulro.com/afvb/signaturepics/sigpic20865_1.gif

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Ian View Post
    As long as the vehicle has been rego-ed in any state with the mod plate, it is registerable in all states.

Not quite true as I have just been through this ... I rang the RTA and spoke twice to the inspectors and was told that certain Qld Mod plates were not accepted in NSW and would require Re- Engineering for NSW. I have just had to do this very thing. Be careful to check first what plates you have on an interstate vehicle and then ring the RTA of the state you are moving the vehicle to, to make sure.

Si.

Total Downloaded
    G'day Tikirocker

Do tell what Qld Mod plates were not acceptable, and was that info from NSW transport HQ (Rosebury from memory) or from your local inspectors

cheers

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleHo View Post
    G'day Tikirocker

Do tell what Qld Mod plates were not acceptable, and was that info from NSW transport HQ (Rosebury from memory) or from your local inspectors

cheers

It wasn't local inspectors, it was direct through the RTA so likely Rosebury. There were certain issues in my case because of the tray back/dual cab conversion of a County Wagon and a blue Mod plate for an engine mod. I was lucky with the personal import/compliance plate which is the gold one, which is national and ok between states.

So ... I needed NSW engineering for the Dual Cab/Tray back mods since NSW does not accept the Qld Engineering for this without their own inspection. Queensland uses plates which only allow very little info on them. In NSW they do not use plates but instead write out a full 2 page report with lots of detail ... this is the difference between NSW and Qld. Basically the NSW Engineer made it clear that NSW won't accept Qld Mod plates because ($$$) it doesn't contain enough infomation.

In the case of NSW, they write a detailed report and you keep the original, hand in copies both to the RTA and for Blue Slip when you go. The Qld Mod plates stay on the vehicle and that means if you ever want to re-register back in Qld they are still valid and you can still do it, as long
    as you still have the original engineers documents from Qld, not JUST the Mod plates on the vehicle itself.

I can't believe the hoop jumping ... I hate red tape and there is more yet to come for me driving it back to NSW ... blue slip is next!

Best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast