Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: peoples who travel the 'bush'

Total Downloaded

peoples who travel the 'bush'

ok so i'm having a stab in the dark here, but i've been contracted to design the town entry x 2 and road joining these entries at a small country town approx. 900k's north west of brisbane. its a mining town, so miners live there and use the dirt footpath that currently runs up the main drag (on the highway on the edge of town), and currently not many people (grey nomads) stop and see the town, i want to find out what actual travellers would want!

my given objective is to create a strip of road that encourages people to stop and use a possible park/toilet/sullage point and 'enjoy there experience'.

so my question for people who do alot of outback travel is what makes u want to stop at a township/roadside stop and use it?

my thoughts and designs so far are i need to encorporate water, green, and natural shade. the 1.2k or so from enty to entry will have a wide footpath with signage along the way describing how water is getting treated from one stage to another (as the the road gets run off from a sewage plant currently, and road/stormwater runoff) through a series of weirs, that continue its current natural flow to the nearby creek. amongst other ideas. the project will be a 'green' project as it is being funded by a major mine in the area.

sorry for all the crap, but i need to find out off people what makes them want to stop at a township/roadside stop and have a break and enjoy the space they are in, when they are travelling 'outback qld'?

thanks

sam

Total Downloaded
    ease of parking for larger type vans, good signage, ammenties including sullage and a potable water tap.
    cheers
    blaze

Total Downloaded
    Are you allowed to tell us which town?

Total Downloaded
    Natural shade (ie trees) is a good idea. I steer away from shelter shade (ie sheds and awnings). The place needs to be clean which in design terms means it needs to be easily cleaned. If there is no long term comitment to regularly clean the toilets then you are better off without them. Interpretive info signage can be attractive. Needs to be a bit spread out so that more than one vehicle can stop without feeling crowded (personal space thing).

Cheers
    KarlB

Total Downloaded
    As already said..

Plenty of long vehicle parking...ease of getting in and out.

Potable water tap.

clean amenities and a dump point is always an advantage.

maybe signage to the attractions about town including shops.

free 1-2 overnight stays encourages people to spend money in town.

Mrs hh

PS where is it and we will be sure to stop
    Series Landy Rescue

Parts, welding, finger folding, Storage, Painting, Fabrication, Restorations,
    Our FB Page..
    https://www.facebook.com/SeriesLR?ref=bookmarks

'51 80", Discovery 2, Defender 130, 101 FC + 20 other Land Rover vehicles

Total Downloaded
    for me its a decent layout, a little off the road (say 200m) with local flora on the "island" to act as a visual and audio block from the main road (really important if you're aiming at getting people to stop over night.

I personally like the abultions to be on one side of the carpark (preferably on the "Island") downwind and across the carpark to the eating/rec area.

The best stop I've been to (about 4 years ago now on the way from albury to here) had sheltered tables, electric BBQ's, was a 5 minute walk to a lookout with spiel boards about some of the local flora/fauna and in the open space there was some basic kids play equipment.

excusing the ascii artm roughly it was laid out

Turn off**********************Turn off*
    =<==========MAIN ROAD============>==
    **\*****************************/***
    ***\ *******Natural Barrier*********/****
    ****\********Ablutions***********/****
    ------\___""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""____/------
    -----------""""""""CAR PARKS"""""""""-----------
    -----------""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""-----------
    -----------Tables BBQ BBQ Tables------------
    -------------Kids play equipment-------------
    ------------------- Open --------------------
    -------------------Space------scenic walk----

the ---- indicates grass fenced off area and the *** represent natural Flora

the car parks were about a 50/50 mix of trailer friendly double long angle parks and normal parks, on the entry way and exit way there were marked bays for B double size semies, probably 8 on each entryway.

I dont recall seeing a dump point for grey water/sewage but the ablutions block had a sink setup for doing dishes, coin operated hot showers (I didnt use them but it looked like you paid to open the door) there was 2 solar hot water units on the roof.

It looked pretty new at the time, the tarmac wasnt torn up by trucks and there was no grafiti anywhere.
    Dave

"In a Landrover the other vehicle is your crumple zone."

For spelling call Rogets, for mechanicing call me.

Fozzy, 2.25D SIII Ex DCA Ute
    Tdi autoManual d1 (gave it to the Mupion)
    Archaeoptersix 1990 6x6 dual cab(This things staying)

If you've benefited from one or more of my posts please remember, your taxes paid for my skill sets, I'm just trying to make sure you get your monies worth.
    If you think you're in front on the deal, pay it forwards.

Total Downloaded
    I'm with all of the others here.
    As a bloke the world is my Urinal, but traveling with Mrs Hymie and two daughters requires an attitude adjustment on that point.

alien is offline A Keeper of the TGO Silver Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Her's my 2 cents.
    Set it back from the road
    Seperate truck bay at front.
    Large drive in/out trailer bays, preferbly flat for caravans(boil the jug ect.)
    Natural shade where posible.
    Include 1 or 2 steel shelters for when rain/dew ect. drips off the trees.
    BBQ hot plates with table/chairs in the shelter/s.
    Playground for the kids(Or by the time I use it grandkids,don't tell the wife).
    Clean toilets with after hour lighting.
    Room for 2 to use sullige point.
    Town map and atractions sign.
    Maybe a nature walk that is wheel chair freindly.
    Cheers, Kyle

The Good Oil.
    When did you last visit?
    http://www.aulro.com/afvb/good-oil/

Total Downloaded
    Fuel Access nearby, as people don't like to stop for fuel and then relocate for lunch. Include well posted fuel prices. - This way the family can jump out and start on lunch while dad refuels nearby and joins them.

FREE WiFi Internet Access..

Swings / Playground for the kids.

Tourist Guide map with contacts for local garage, auto elec, pharmacy & GP.

Total Downloaded
    Interesting things to see, art, old wares, history of the area, indigenous history, landmarks, good pub and eatery, good van park and camping areas, free would be a bonus.

Baz.
    Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 SE 2.7L
    1990 Perentie FFR EX Aust Army
    1967 Series IIa 109 (Farm Truck)
    2007 BMW R1200GS
    1979 BMW R80/7
    1983 BMW R100TIC Ex ACT Police
    1994 Yamaha XT225 Serow

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast