Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on a new vehicle purchase ... Land Rover related

Total Downloaded

Advice on a new vehicle purchase ... Land Rover related

G'day all,

been a long while ... we are shopping for a new car/truck and I really need first hand reviews and advice on what models are good, what to steer clear of etc. I was looking at a Disco initially but have come across a few reviews * by people who love them and own them ) that they are prone to problems, require a lot of up keep and can be expensive to run. I'm sure you will hammer me with opinions on that subject ... I hope so!

Out of the Range/Land Rover family ... what is the best option going in your opinions, up to 20k? We don't want to be stuck with a gas guzzler so no V8's for us ... it will have to be a Diesel. We are also very fond of manuals generally ... manual is a bit of a religion in the family but so many cars these days are just auto ... tough to find what we want in the type of vehicle we want.

Please keep your suggestions to the Range/Landy family also ... open to Defenders and Range Rovers as well.

Thanks in advance!

Best, Simon.

Total Downloaded
    how about a V8 on gas?
    cheaper than a diesel to run and repair,,
    "How long since you've visited The Good Oil?"

'93 V8 Rossi
    '97 to '07. sold.
    '01 V8 D2
    '06 to 10. written off.
    '03 4.6 V8 HSE D2a with Tornado ECM
    '10 to '21
    '16.5 RRS SDV8
    '21 to Infinity and Beyond!

1988 Isuzu Bus. V10 15L NA Diesel
    Home is where you park it..

[IMG][/IMG]

Total Downloaded
    With a budget of $20k, I would spend $15K on vehicle probablya 01-02 Disco TD5 with immaculate service history of one careful owner (3 who couldn't give a crap) (kidding).That way, you take it to a Landrover mechanic and give it the once over with all new fluids, radiator flush, hoses and anything else it may need.
    That is only after you had a pre purchase inspection.
    Spend rest of the $$$ to get it the way you like.
    Lights, bar work and fridges etc.

Landies are an enthusiasts car and like all of them need $$ spend on them.

The above model is almost 10 years old now and like all mechanical things need maintenance.
    Budget on $3k per year including rego etc.

Thats been my experience but I am very fussy.
    I prevent rather than repair.

Happy shopping mate.
    There are often some great buys in the market section here.
    Worth a look thats for sure.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by big guy View Post
    With a budget of $20k, I would spend $15K on vehicle probablya 01-02 Disco TD5 with immaculate service history of one careful owner (3 who couldn't give a crap) (kidding).That way, you take it to a Landrover mechanic and give it the once over with all new fluids, radiator flush, hoses and anything else it may need.
    That is only after you had a pre purchase inspection.
    Spend rest of the $$$ to get it the way you like.
    Lights, bar work and fridges etc.

Landies are an enthusiasts car and like all of them need $$ spend on them.

The above model is almost 10 years old now and like all mechanical things need maintenance.
    Budget on $3k per year including rego etc.

Thats been my experience but I am very fussy.
    I prevent rather than repair.

Happy shopping mate.
    There are often some great buys in the market section here.
    Worth a look thats for sure.
    Got to agree with this. I think you could get an excellent Disco for under $15k. I'm using this approach to get a 130.

Total Downloaded
    If there is a Mrs Tikirocker involved in the equation make sure she is happy to drive a Defender before you go much further. They are VERY agrigultural compared to a Disco or a Rangie. She may be happy with the comforts a Defender offer, but I reckon she'd be in the minority. Ms Spud will not touch our 110 unless it is the very last option available.

Total Downloaded
    Hey Spudboy.
    If you want to be known for the shortest post in AULRO history, just post a list the comforts a Defender has to offer.

Go the Disco.

Total Downloaded
    Hi Simon, long time no see/hear.

Go with a 97-98 Tdi disco, the swapped to Bosch Electrics in 96 so you have a more reliable electricery system. The engine is all mechanical, no electronic injection like with the TD5 and you can easily work on them yourself. You'd get a good one for well under 15k and have money for a locker, a lift and some muddies

TD5 is a good option, more powerful, similar fuel economy but when things go wrong they can be more expensive to repair being an electronic injection system.

But if well maintained, and you can do it yourself, they are cheap to run and repair. The more you use it off road the more it will cost to maintain.

Total Downloaded
    Thanks for the replies all ... I had a look up on the NRMA web site to see if I could find an old review of a Disco TDi as suggested by Ace - if only to placate the wife! I found the review has some interesting things to say and would like to get some comments ...

Full review found here ---> Land Rover Discovery SE7 1998 NRMA Car Review - NRMA Motoring & Services

On off roading the review stated ...

The limited wheel/suspension travel, poor engine braking (auto model) and larger than normal turning circle result in only a mediocre off-road performance for the Discovery. Severe off-road operation does not appear to be Discovery's forte, an observation confirmed by its level of equipment and performance.

Summary

In automatic form, the Discovery is inclined to be rather sluggish from take-off, although improving once it is rolling. Its fuel consumption, towing and off-road performance, often quoted as being superior, are bettered by several other similar sized and powered vehicles.

The wife and I are currently locked in a pitched battle over the issue of miles on the clock, age vs service history and wear! My argument is that miles on the clock and age don't make as much difference as does service history and treatment. Some people think that a low miles vehicle is automatically superior to a high mile vehicle ... better to have a high miles rig that gets run each day and opened up than a low miles rig that only gets run to and from the shops with one owner for 10 years!

The wife is concerned about being stuck with a vehicle that requires high maintenance and frequent maintenance ... so am I, but the argument rages on because she's a woman and I'm a man.

Help me out boys ... provide me with ammo to make her see this can work!

Tiki.

Total Downloaded
    Hi Tiki

Just been through what you're doing - but we were after an auto.

For $20K you could get a well looked after last of the Series II Discos (MY2003+) like the blue on on CarSales at the moment (in VIC). Manuals tend not to sell as quick as Autos.

MY2003+ you get Centre Diff Lock, twin headlights and a few nice interior improvements.

Higher Km is not a problem provided there is a comprehensive full service history which you can verify (not just dealer stamps).

Good luck !
    Cheers

Simon
    2003 D2a TD5, ACE, SLS, Vienna Green.

Total Downloaded
    G'day Si,

I saw that very one mate ... yeah I was looking at it. It is all down to getting that verifiable service history also as you say. It has seemed preferable to have a manual to an Auto ... I like the process of going through the gears as a mental awareness thing as much as I like manual for having instant control when I want it. Is there really any advantage of Auto over Manual in a Disco that I am not seeing?

Best, Simon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast