Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extending the range of Defender Central Locking

Total Downloaded

Thumbs up Extending the range of Defender Central Locking

I got sick of the central locking in my 2006 Defender 110. I was having to press the button about 3 or 4 times to lock or unlock and if i was any more than about 5 paces away from the front door it wouldn't work anyway. So i fixed it......

It didn't take too long...approximately 30mins all told.

The tools i used were:

* Leatherman for stripping wire
    * Electrical tape
    * Straightened coat hanger to hook wires
    * 2m length of black 3mm automotive wire
    * soldering iron and solder

Step 1

Remove the instrument cluster and put it to the side. The look for the alarm box fitted to the bulkhead below the group of relays. There will be a short orange wire with a grey tracer. this is the antenna wire that needs to be extended to get better range from your central locking.

Step 2

Get your coat hanger and fish the wire out so that you can get to the exposed end, it isnt quite long enough to come out of the dash in a TD5 but in a Puma it will be easiest to get at it through the speaker and might just be able to poke out thru the speaker hole.

Step 3

feed the new wire up into the dash from behind the airconditioner controls so that it can be joined onto the orange and grey wire.

Step 4

join the new wire to the old wire, it is a bugger of a job and took the most time.

Step 5

Unscrew the trim above the drivers door hinge and feed the wire up to the top of the dash. then replace the trim.

Step 6

continue feeding the wire up... i found a nice gap in behind the heater controls to put it and then it runs nicely up to the A pillar trim so it stays nice and neat.

Step 7

end the wire just below the top of the door trim and strip the insulation from the last 15mm or so of the wire like the original.

Now it is finished and your remote should work from at least 20m or so away. Mine worked from 3 houses down the street this afternoon.... the best part is that now you only have to press the button once as it works first time every time.

Enjoy.......

Cheers

Josh

Total Downloaded
    Looks like a good mod. On our Puma they have extended this to the top center of the dash, not that the range is much more than earlier Defenders.

Hard to tell but this pic is of a Puma with the dash removed, center between the 2 dash vents. The white wire with a bare end is the aerial for the FOB

Erich

Total Downloaded
    Woo Hoo!! I have a project for the weekend!! One of the best tutorials on the web, as I hate how I have to stand next to the passenger door to get the car to lock, unlock with the remote.

Thanks

Ken
    Living the good life north of Cairns

kenleyfred Guest
    Or alternatively look like a dork and simply hold the FOB against your head when activating. Don't know how, but it greatly extends the range.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by kenleyfred View Post
    Or alternatively look like a dork and simply hold the FOB against your head when activating. Don't know how, but it greatly extends the range.

Total Downloaded
    would this mod be the same on rr classic as i almost need to be in the car to lock mine?

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisandebreg View Post
    would this mod be the same on rr classic as i almost need to be in the car to lock mine?
    hi mate,

i am not sure but I imagine it would be very similar.... you need to find the control box and it will be fairly obvious which wire is the antenna..... it cant hurt to give it a try.

i have no idea where that would be located in a RRC though.

Cheers

Josh

Total Downloaded
    What is the range now, front, left, right and rear before attempt mine. Is it the same wire on the td5, i know rtfm... Thanks for the tutorial great work

numpty is offline TopicToaster Silver Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    I will eventually get around to doing this on mine too. I've found remote only works effectively from the side, ie not from front or rear.
    Numpty

Thomas - 1955 Series 1 107" Truck Cab
    Leon - 1957 Series 1 88" Soft Top
    Lewis - 1963 Series 11A ex Mil Gunbuggy
    Teddy5 - 2001 Ex Telstra Big Cab Td5
    ​Betsy - 1963 Series 11A ex Mil GS
    REMLR No 143

slug_burner is offline TopicToaster Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Good work, you don't need to strip the end of the wire unless you are connecting it to something else as electromagnetic waves go through insulation.

If you don't want to look too conspicuous when extending the range of your fob put it up under your chin touching bone. I think your head acts like a resonant cavity.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast