Thread: pto winch with holden 6?

Total Downloaded

pto winch with holden 6?

Does anyone have a pto winch running off the transfer case pto with a holden engine?
    I was looking to fit a winch to mine, but the bell housing and starter motor of the holden seems to take up all the space where the pto shaft should run through.
    If anyone has this set up can you please post some pics?

Total Downloaded
    The biggest problem with the Holden straight six is usually the exhaust pipe fouling the PTO drive shaft, particularly if the pipe or extractors run above the cross members.

Remember the shaft runs alongside the chassis side rail just above the gearbox mount and cross member/s with a bearing and uni-joint usually adjacent the bolts for the LHD steering box. The bellhousing on a Holden is the same as on a Rover and the adapter about the size of the original rover flywheel housing, so that should not be an issue.

Take a look at GSKeepers post : Bamford PTO line shaft 7/8" dia..

Total Downloaded
    I have just removed the extractors and fitted the stock manifold so I can rerout the exhaust. It just looks very snug between the bell housing and the chassis.
    I do not have the pto drive fitted yet as the overdrive is still fitted so I can't test fit anything.
    I need to know the routing I should use for the exhaust so as to allow the pto shaft clearance when fitted later (if possible).

Total Downloaded
    Sorry, read you post, but the pics only loaded once i had replied.
    Thanks

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideroad View Post
    Sorry, read you post, but the pics only loaded once i had replied.
    Thanks
    That's 'cause I only found them after I made the original post.

The winch in question is the bamford winch as fitted to the military Landies but most take a similar path although some have 2 bearing blocks and uni joints.

It would be advisable to fit the shafts before the exhaust is re-routed.

Diana

Total Downloaded
    I have a thomas Pto winch running off my Tcase . I have the 202 blue engine in mine all works fine , Havent got any pics but if you want some i can get them when it stops raining..

Total Downloaded
    Some pics would be great if it not too much bother.
    I would be interested to see your exhaust location and path to get an idea of clearances.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideroad View Post
    Some pics would be great if it not too much bother.
    I would be interested to see your exhaust location and path to get an idea of clearances.
    UM bugga i went out with the camera to get those pics when i climb under i couldnt get the pics .I forgot the PTO is on the bench needing a rear seal..
    In the pic there where the knuckle is on the side of the chassis mine is on the Xmember under the gearbox on the passenger side at the front.So my long shaft goes from there to the winch drum & the short one to the PTO.& the exhaust just goes alongside of it..I dont like my exhaust as it hangs down under the Xmember..Ill get some pics of it this arvo with out the PTO inplace .Mite help you But I'll get some aswell when i put it all back in..