Thread: Design Regs & Conversions

Total Downloaded

Design Regs & Conversions

Hi All,

A few months back I picked up my first Landrover 2A LWB early 70's.

It has a very well engineered modification and installation of 186P motor in it.

Vic Roads have no record of the numbers... it's been on a farm for quite a few years unregistered. I was assured it's always been down here so haven't followed up in other states.

I don't really want to go to all the effort to bring it back to life with the 186 in it to stumble at rego time with Vic roads asking for more data and expensive engineers reports.

I'd be really interested in any other's experience here?

Regards

Glenn

Total Downloaded
    Check this:

Roads and Traffic Authority
    Acceptable Modifications
    Four Wheel Drive Vehicles
    July 1979.

Cheers
    Slunnie

~ Discovery II Td5 ~ Discovery 3dr V8 ~ Series IIa 6cyl ute ~ Series II V8 ute ~

Total Downloaded
    Thanks Slunnie,

You pompted me to take a look at the current versions of the regs that I think apply to all vehicles up to 4.5t:

Vehicle Standards Bulletin 14 (VSB 14)

If you look at Vehicle Standards Bulletin 14 Section LA (Engine), dated 2011 it states that:

That basic modifications not requiring certification include fitting equivalent engines with an increase of up to 20% of original power.

If the Landrover 2.6 Litre Engine = 95bhp and a 186 Red Motor = 126bhp I think I have a problem?

Regards

Glenn

Total Downloaded
    Share notes wit Gav. (bacicat2000)
    He'll be in the same boat.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennLogan View Post
    Thanks Slunnie,

You pompted me to take a look at the current versions of the regs that I think apply to all vehicles up to 4.5t:

Vehicle Standards Bulletin 14 (VSB 14)

If you look at Vehicle Standards Bulletin 14 Section LA (Engine), dated 2011 it states that:

That basic modifications not requiring certification include fitting equivalent engines with an increase of up to 20% of original power.

If the Landrover 2.6 Litre Engine = 95bhp and a 186 Red Motor = 126bhp I think I have a problem?

Regards

Glenn
    Rules are not retrospective.
    Cheers
    Slunnie

~ Discovery II Td5 ~ Discovery 3dr V8 ~ Series IIa 6cyl ute ~ Series II V8 ute ~

Homestar is offline Super Moderator & CA manager Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Marsh View Post
    Share notes wit Gav. (bacicat2000)
    He'll be in the same boat.
    Thanks Mick - Yep, doing the exact same thing at the moment. In Victoria you will need a licenced engineer to provide a VASS certificate before it can be registered. The Holden red motors are not considered an equivilant engine for the Land Rovers despite the amount of conversions done. Total cost including a RWC will set you back the best part of $2K. Expensive little exersize, but one I personally am willing to go through. I have already been through talks with Vic Roads, and the Engineer I will be using - it pays to do this BEFORE doing anything else. They will go over evey nut and bolt on the car, so it will need to be spot on, and mechanically A1. It will also need to pass a brake test, so if your IIA was originally a 4 cylinder, it will in all likelyhood need bigger brakes. Mine is an original 6 cylinder, which has the 3" brakes up front, so I should be fine, although I am looking at a disk brake conversion on mine anyway.

It will also require retractable seat belts, demister, 2 speed wipers and all the brake lines will need replacing - doesn't matter what condition they are in, it is a requirement for any vehicle needing a VASS that is over 30 years old. I have started with a series III so most of this is there, or straight forward. I have done an engineered conversion on a IIA many years ago, and it was a lot tougher so you will need to do some homework, and be prepared for a lot of work and to spend a lot of money unfortunately.

Check out the Vic Roads requirements for a VASS certificate - Vehicle Assessment Signatory Scheme : VicRoads There is a link to a document with a list of approved Engineers.

Don't let all that put you off though, with a bit af hard work, there is nothing more satisfying than getting an old and forgotton vehicle back on the road, and there is plenty of wisdom and experience on this forum to keep you on the right track and motivated.

Cheers - Gav
    If you need to contact me please email homestarrunnerau@gmail.com - thanks - Gav.

Total Downloaded
    Hi Gav,

I spent the last 4 years or so rebuilding a 1960 Jag - I put it back together 100% original and had no problems or hassles at Vic Roads (in March this year) despite having no real proof of it's previous registration. All they wanted was a RWC and to check the numbers. Getting the RWC was interesting but using a Jag expert helped a lot.

From your experience and discussions, reverting back to a original type engine should allow me to stick with 'as built' regs. Need to find a swap or donor...

However I'd be interested in contacting the engineer to discuss as well as I guess the costs regardless will be getting up there. Assuming you recommend him is it possible you could send his details?

Thanks

Glenn

Homestar is offline Super Moderator & CA manager Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Hi Glenn, I think you would be right if you go back to the original engine - looking at your OP, you have an original 6 cylinder? In my case, my thoughts are that finding and rebuilding a land rover 6 engine would cost about the same as the VASS anyway, and I am thinking of a doing other stuff - like disk brakes, and even power steering, so I will get all this engineered in one hit.

If you want original, then I think that would be easier. If yours was a 4 cylinder originally, someone would have cut out part of the front crossmember to make the holden motor fit, so this would either need to be repaired so it can't be seen, or engineered anyway.

Someone here may have a lr 6 for sale that would get you on the way. If the car has never been registered in the past in Vic, then you only need a receipt from who you bought it off, and the RWC.

Cheers - Gav.

Edit - you will also need a seperate receipt for the engine if it is not the original.
    If you need to contact me please email homestarrunnerau@gmail.com - thanks - Gav.