Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: D3 GOE Rods

Total Downloaded

D3 GOE Rods

Hi All,

I have done some forum searching on GOE rods and it shows a bazillion different threads with posts etc on GOE Rods. I have a couple of pretty simple questions

Just to be on the right track, am I right to assume the GOE rods simply lift the senors that detect when the car is at off road height, therefore the car will sit 40mm higher on that setting?

Are there any implications associated with airbag/compressor wear and the sensors for the car to sit at road and access heights?

*I did the emergency height test with a jack, I can't believe how high the car D3 can get!

Sorry if this is another repeat of having to answer these questions.

Cheers,
    Ben

Total Downloaded
    Ben - short answers to your two questions: yes (well, shortens the length of the body to sensors), and yes airbag *and* CV-related issues.

Read about it, from the source:
    GOE 2-way Height Sensor Rods
    Last edited by jonesy63; 25th June 2013 at 12:39 PM. Reason: added detail

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy63 View Post
    Ben - short answers to your two questions: yes (well, shortens the length of the body to sensors), and no-more CV-related issues.

Read about it, from the source:
    GOE 2-way Height Sensor Rods
    Appreciated, great link - And... they are ordered.

Total Downloaded
    Ben - I edited my response... I should be in bed as I'm sick, rather than posting here. There are implications for the airbags as well as CV joints if you run at offroad for too long.

Total Downloaded
    Ben - I edited my response... I should be in bed as I'm sick, rather than posting here. There are implications for the airbags as well as CV joints if you run at offroad for too long.
    Yep I had figured there would be some sort of extra strain due to the angle for the cv and height for the bags.

Did you have them on your D3?

Total Downloaded
    Ben,

Correct

The GOE rod basically replaces the standard connector (all of about 4 -5 in long) but unlike the standard rod it has two holes at one end. When driving normally you leave it at the standard length setting and everything is normal.

When you get off road you change the holes and the GOE rods simply tricks the suspension into thinking it is in normal height when it is actually in off road height. The key benefit is this allows you to travel at speeds above 50 kph at off road height.

For people who do a bit of outback touring or travel on sand the fact that once you are travelling over 40 or 50 kph the vehicle lowers to normal height is an issue and one of the criticisms of the D3/D4 electronic suspension.

Additionally if in really tough stuff you can then select off road height but that is effectively extended mode giving you just that extra bit of clearance in the tough stuff. The cheapest 40 mm suspension lift you can have.

They will not damage your airbags/compressor, however it is very strongly recommended that you do not drive for extended periods at high speed in off road height.

The only issue I have had was when I first fitted them I kept raising and lowering the vehicle (because I could) and I got a warning because I overheated the compressor. Since then, once adjusted I simply leave the vehicle in the normal height (off road) height and rarely change unless I am in a really tight situation.

They are easy to fit and easy to change over, takes about 20 sec each wheel and once you have finished your off road playing you simply put them back to the normal setting and drive off.

The other option is the Llams system which for fear over over simplifying it is an electronic version of rods as in it 'tricks" the cars computer into thinking the height is X when it is Y. Able to adjusted on the fly from inside the vehicle and provides you with numerous height option to both raise and low the vehicle.

There are plenty of thread on the Llams system and also on the pros and cons of both.

Interestingly both the GOE rods (Gordon) and Llams (Graeme) are made by members on this forum.

I hope this helps your understanding and deliberation.

George

Total Downloaded
    Brilliant thanks George.

I have done a ton of research on the LLams, and will be going that route when I am a little more comfortable off road and of course with the D3. (Also when I can safely spend $550, supposed to be saving for next years wedding)

I like the idea of being able to go above 50kph on off road height, and I can see the extra 40mm helping down the track when I get more serious. I'll give the rods a go, as it really is a very cost effective solution.
    Getting out to change the setting before hitting the soft stuff will be no issue, all of my mates have to get out to lock hubs and do whatever else it is they do.

Another guilty suspension flicker here, and anytime a friend gets in the car they want to play with the height. I am curving this behavior on warnings from the friendly folks here, and the several suspension failure warnings I got.

I am also actually looking into attending a GOE Off Road Training day, would be great to get some sound knowledge around how to use the D3 properly.

Total Downloaded
    And, get well soon. Appreciate you making time to respond.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by rb30gtr View Post

I am also actually looking into attending a GOE Off Road Training day, would be great to get some sound knowledge around how to use the D3 properly.
    Ben,

GOE is based in Perth so not sure how often they do driver training in Sydney?

However I am involved in the Range Rover Club of NSW and one of the key member benefits and indeed reasons for me joining the club a few years ago were the the clubs training days.

Might be worthwhile looking into membership as apart from the training there are day trips etc which are a good way to get comfortable with the car and how to use it.

There are other commercial driver training programs as well as the Land Rover Owners Club that do driver training.

George

Total Downloaded
    DiscoWeb

You seem to have this stuff well understood, so, a couple of questions.

1) Could the IID Tool be used to provide the additional height for 'normal' speed high setting.

2) If the power fuse were to be removed after setting high, would that be retained above the magic drop speed.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast