Thread: Asfir Transmission skid plate leaves catalytic converter exposed

Total Downloaded

Asfir Transmission skid plate leaves catalytic converter exposed

I recently had an Asfir transmission skid plate installed by Pedders. It's a sturdy piece of Aluminium plate that nicely protects the plastic underside of the transmission.

The thing is however is that it is not as wide as the plastic panel that it replaces. It leaves the catalytic converter exposed. Previously the Cat was covered by the plastic panel, which has a thin aluminium shield that cups the Cat. Now the Cat is open. Does anyone know if this is likely to be an issue?

Transmission-Skid-Plate4.jpg

I gather from looking at the GOE website that their transmission skid plate covers the whole area. I guess that helps explain the price difference.

Total Downloaded
    I couldn't see it being an issue, even if something gets up high enough to give the cat a whack, it looks to be tucked up past the chassis rail, and they are pretty tough and will flex a bit..from experience

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by rb30gtr View Post
    I couldn't see it being an issue, even if something gets up high enough to give the cat a whack, it looks to be tucked up past the chassis rail, and they are pretty tough and will flex a bit..from experience
    Yes it is tucked away, and they're stainless and pretty solid. I was wondering if perhaps they get really hot and might start a grass-fire in long grass. Certainly the Landrover designers felt it necessary to separate the plastic cover from ithe Cat with that thin aluminium shield.