Thread: D4 Screeching Rotors/Discs Offroad

Total Downloaded

Red face D4 Screeching Rotors/Discs Offroad

Hi all,

Had an interesting issue last month. Was travelling thru the Watagans last month with RRC so about 3 D3's, 3 D4's 3 D2's and a Rangie on the trip.

Had heavy rain previous day so pretty wet / muddy etc and noticed that after travelling thru numerous mud puddles couple shallow creeks the discs would screech like all hell!

Yep bit of grit/ dirt etc caught between rotor and pad but only seemed to effect my car (new D4) and maybe one other slightly. Mine sounded like I was dragging 50 finger nails over a black board pretty embarrassing, but funny enough never had this issue with my previous D3. Tried a variety of solutions incl nice and slow thru a few deeper pools to shift the grit to no avail. Stopped after about 20 mins.

Just part and parcel / unlucky / or as car new ( less then 4000km) pads still new with smaller gap between pad and rotor?

Any suggestions, cheers

Total Downloaded
    Did you try reversing for a couple of meters? Just thinking that if it is caused by stones or grit, then going in reverse may just help them flick out...

Total Downloaded
    Hi Basil,

Did that first up was thinking along the same lines but no joy.

Wasn't concerned it was only when we drove past a waiting bunch of Toyotas that it was an issue lol.

Total Downloaded
    When driving past Toyota's it is known as an inbuilt design feature to alert wildlife of your presence, and thus, you wont hit a kangaroo or a slow bird on the track..

Total Downloaded
    Funny enough re wildlife, on that trip my car was the only one fitted with a bullbar, guess who hit the only roo on the trip.......more of a glancing blow as it did hop off.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by captcam68 View Post
    ... pads still new with smaller gap between pad and rotor?

Any suggestions, cheers
    It's not just debris being caught around the rotor pads. You are probably also getting muddy water containing small twigs, rocks and grit etc. inside the parking brake drums causing all manner of a squeaks and groans as you drive.

What gets caught around the rotors dislodges very quickly because the rotors are open. What gets caught in the drums will not dislodge because the drums are closed except for the vent hole where all the muddy crap gets in.
    2011 D4 3.0 SDV6
    1999 D2 V8, in heaven
    1984 RRC, in hell

Total Downloaded
    I'm still cleaning out dry mud after that trip!! Where are all the photos that you took with that flash camera?

I must admit that's the best looking D4 I've ever seen even when it was screaming!!

Total Downloaded
    Remove the rear wheels to access the rear parking drums. If you went through a lot of mud and had the wheels submerged in muddy water it is a good idea to remove the drums and clean the park brake mechanism, then adjust the park brake after reassembly.
    If you are lazy remove the inspection plug on the drums and flush the drum out with a garden hose, then go for a drive and use the brakes vigorously to heat them up and evaporate of the H2O.
    Fuji white RRS L494 AB

Total Downloaded
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice hadn't thought of the hand brake drums at all. Doesn't sound to tricky to fix. Come to think of it had a one time similar problem on the D3 driving thru the snowy's but on the black top. Hand brake light fault warning came up on dash and made the same expensive screeching. I used the cable release at the time cos i thought they had locked on but as it turned out it was a lack of adjustment when the car was serviced to take up the wear on the pads. Hi Liam, sent what i had to the mag but if you pm me your email i'll flick you thru what i have.
    Cheers

Total Downloaded
    It is do frustrating. Our D4 does the same thing. Always the front wheel. Sometimes the reverse trick doesn't work and you then have to lay in the dirt and physically remove the stone. Ours is a HSE I am convinced its the rim design causing the issue.
    Cheers
    Steve