Thread: D4 Accessories

Total Downloaded

D4 Accessories

Hi all i am new to the forum and just wondering if someone can recommend somewhere to purchased Discovery 4 accessories i am wanting Land Rover mud flaps and the rigid load space protector and also the flexible one for when the dogs are in the car. Any recommendations?

Total Downloaded
    Hi and welcome to the forum

I've only had my D4 2 months and found that genuine LR accessories, especially from a dealer, are far more expensive than non genuine ones. I bought a Milford cargo barrier as it fits with the cargo blind still in place. For mud flaps I bought a set of after market ones that fit quite well but not perfectly - not enough for me to worry about and they'll do the job just as well.

Basically I simply searched the internet for say "Land Rover D4 Mud Flaps" and looked at the results. Got mine in Australia rather than o/s mainly for postage reasons.

It's also a bit of a judgment call. I wasn't too concerned about mud flaps but would be more cautious with side steps for example.

Martin

Total Downloaded
    Unfortunately you have a choice; do you want the best of each, or do you want to compromise so you can get it from one source? Personally I like the Autosafe barrier, as there are no holes to drill, and mounting is hidden under existing panels. Mats I got from one of the advertisers in Verandah section. Mudflaps I got from eBay, cheap copies that have lasted the AULRO trip and a Vic High Country trip (even when the tyres didn't).

Total Downloaded
    ^^^^ agree about the mud flaps!

I've had both - the Land Rover originals seem very hard and brittle. They tend to crack and chunks fly out of them when a stone hits. The "Land Rovef" ones on eBay are a bit more flexible and take some more punishment. Not as much as flat rubber series mud flaps - but cheaper and no farting about cutting them to size.

JamesH Guest
    I got the cheapo rubber generic mud flaps from Supercheap. About $29 IIRC. They required no cutting at all but a mate made up a little bracket so they could be fitted using existing screw holes. Photo attached.

For the back load space I went the cheap option as well. $49 mat from Clark Rubber. It is designed to be easlily trimable but it fits almost perfectly and the extra width near the tail gate helps protect the sides. It's fine for me but could be irritating to people who use the third row of seats regularly. Mind you at $49 you wouldn't mind cutting it into two pieces.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
    I got the cheapo rubber generic mud flaps from Supercheap. About $29 IIRC. They required no cutting at all but a mate made up a little bracket so they could be fitted using existing screw holes. Photo attached.
    James is there any chance of photo of the bracket. I'm interested in doing something similar. Don't go out of your way if you haven't already got a photo.
    Cheers
    Mike

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesH View Post

For the back load space I went the cheap option as well. $49 mat from Clark Rubber. It is designed to be easlily trimable but it fits almost perfectly and the extra width near the tail gate helps protect the sides. It's fine for me but could be irritating to people who use the third row of seats regularly. Mind you at $49 you wouldn't mind cutting it into two pieces.
    Thanks heaps for that looks awesome and as for the cargo mat its certainly worth it considering the Land Rover mat is $450 i think bloody hell thats dear!!

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy63 View Post
    ^^^^ agree about the mud flaps!

I've had both - the Land Rover originals seem very hard and brittle. They tend to crack and chunks fly out of them when a stone hits. The "Land Rovef" ones on eBay are a bit more flexible and take some more punishment. Not as much as flat rubber series mud flaps - but cheaper and no farting about cutting them to size.
    Thanks heaps i might give them Land Rovef ones off ebay a whirl do they fit pretty good? I'm assuming there a direct copy of the original just better plastic

JamesH Guest
    Here is the high-tech bracket that was used to mount the cheapo mudflaps.

Looking at it I recall the purpose the the bracket was to bring the mudflap out further from the side of the car. When we lined up, the existing holes on the flap and on the car, the flap sat too inboard and too high. That very simple piece of scrap metal enabled us to bring the flap right out in line with the tyre's outer edge. Drilling some holes in the flap sorted the height issue.

Like all jobs doing it the first time took an hour + as we figured things out. Next time would take 20 minutes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Total Downloaded
    Many options for accessories.
    Another good source for genuine bits is Duckworth parts in the UK.
    I've sourced a few items from them (approx 25% cheaper ,delivery included, than local dealer on most)
    As always though, shop around...
    Enjoy.