Thread: D3 lock up clutch, is there an answer yet?

Total Downloaded

D3 lock up clutch, is there an answer yet?

I've recieved a call from my uncle saying the clutch has gone in his D3. He was one of the ones with the forsight to change the oil every 50,000km even before LR said to, but, as he tows regularly, this is what has happened.

Apparently the clutch only locks up above 2200 revs, and below this it slips.
    There's no software update (probably aftermarket), that either keeps the clutch unlocked untill locking it fully, or engages the clutch at a lower rev - as on the hwy it's under 2200 in sixth?

Or, no valve body modification that locks up as soon as the lockup soloniod / motor? is modulating?

Right from purchasing it he's towed in 5th, so the clutch locks up fully, but it's still gone at 180,000.

Thanks for any input.

Total Downloaded
    I have heard that Wholesale Automatic Transmissions make a manual lockup switch/circuit for the ZF gearbox. A dude at work is having one fitted to his D2.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    I have heard that Wholesale Automatic Transmissions make a manual lockup switch/circuit for the ZF gearbox. A dude at work is having one fitted to his D2.
    D2 is a completely different gearbox.
    The d3 being electronic you should be able to simply put am override switch in. I did on an electronic nissan auto. It made the car bearable to drive in mountains, but the engine didn't have enough power to cause any problems and I sold it a few years later.

Total Downloaded
    The D3's TCM is inside the box so I doubt there's any opportunity to over-ride the TCM's control of the torque converter with a switch.

Is the TCM s/w up to the latest level?

Not locking until 2200 rpm seems very high. Even though the D4's 3.0 is set to lockup at lower revs, mine can stay locked until almost down to 1000 rpm depending on the gear and throttle.
    MY12 RRV 4.4 TDV8 AB, +LLAMS, +e-diff, +ACC stop/go. Produce LLAMS for LR/RR, Jeep GC/Dodge Ram
    VK2HFG and APRS W1 digi

Total Downloaded
    D3 Tdv6 will lock at 1200 to 1400 at low throttle settings, IE level cruise and gentle hills. Any hard use will bring that up to at least 2200. Towing a decent load will cause it to downshift BUT after a short time will relock the converter. I would say that there maybe an underlying software issue if it has overheated etc due to not locking the converter....maybe even too late now RE clutch material in filter and excessive clearances?

Removal of the pan and a diagnosis of what is in there would be my first step.

Checked the cooler for efficiency??

JC
    The Isuzu 110. Solid and as dependable as a rock, coming soon with auto box😊
    The Range Rover L322 4.4.TTDV8 ....probably won't bother with the remap..😈