Thread: D1 paint

Total Downloaded

D1 paint

Hi guys,

Got a project 96 disco in code 602 dark blue with some driver door & front wing damage. I'm going to replace both parts with spares I have but the replacements of course are silver.

Continuing the theory of DIY I have going with it I want to have a crack at painting myself. I have the gear (compressor, spray guns etc) but not really an idea on how Land Rover would have put the paint down.

Is it enamel and would I be better to just hand it off to a pro or is it something that I can tackle with acceptable results?

Any info would be great!

Roverlord off road spares is offline AT REST
    Major part of the heart and soul of AULRO.com
    Vendor

Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    if attempting it by yourself, you'll generally find just buying the paint as per paint code and just painting the guard and door it will stand out against rest of the car.
    Pros will play with the formula, eye matching and will spray a blend coat over nearby panels to blend the new with the old.
    Metallics are difficult

Total Downloaded
    Paint the whole thing. Personally I've found paint code tint to be a better match than spray painters can mix up by eye. But whites are apparently hardest to match.

Total Downloaded
    Is it a bush truck or do you want a really good paint job?

I have a bush truck that I had to do a few repairs around the roof on and I just went to repco and got a pressure pack can mixed up to the paint code and a can of clear. Sprayed the roof yesterday and it looks really good (even if I do say so myself). The paint can was $25 (acrylic) and the clear was $15, if you want to use 2 pack clear, you can get that but it has a very short shelf life because they have to put the hardener in the can.

If you want it to look real good get a couple of litres and paint the guard and door then blow a coat over the rest of the car to match. Depends how much work you want to do.

Dougal, white is hard to match because it faids quicker than other colours.

Neale
    Neale

85 Range Rover Ute (Project in pieces)
    89 Range Rover Classic (Black Thunder)
    93 200tdi Disco,(OGRE)
    96 300tdi Disco, DEAD MOTOR
    04 Nissan Patrol with ALL the fruit
    09 Cub Daintree Kamperoo
    12 VE II Commodore Ute DD

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Corgie Carrier View Post
    Dougal, white is hard to match because it faids quicker than other colours.

Neale
    In my experience the white hasn't faded at all. 29 and 21 year old rangies. You can see the blue, brown, green etc that the mixers have tried to add to match the colour and screwed it up. Both have bonnets and other repairs that were repainted to very different shades of white.

But the paint mixed off-site to the original paint codes is still damn near perfect match.

Total Downloaded

my job

roof paint job i did. theres another thread about the roof itself and plugging the rail holes but this one has same info and pics. was one job and turned out to be 3. with the rust and the windscreen out decided to paint the whole roof.

if you do enamel paint you need to be pretty good and your paint area needs to be cleaner than the large hadron collider. i used acrylic paint to match code, good primers and clear coat. came out pretty good. some visible spots where i stuffed up but mostly due to bad gun at the start and then having to rush it as i wsa moving house.

my advice is make sure you have good spray equipment. made a huge difference when i got a good gun. wish i had that from the start. wouldn't have all the splutter marks then.

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/discovery-...n-seals-3.html