Thread: Roof rails

Total Downloaded

Roof rails

My apologies, if this has been done to death previously but Im interested in opinions on roof rails, whether to go for the full length or the 3/4 length version.

I came across these Aussie Auto Parts and Accessories_Extended Roof Rails for Land Rover Discovery 3&4, which are a full length for $429.00 plus fitting, they also do a 3/4 for $329.00

I gather these would be some what less expensive than the LR items, has anyone had any experience with these particular ones? I also assume they are riveted to the roof as well.

Any advice would be appreciated.

tiddy

Total Downloaded
    Tiddy i looked at those before we bought our D3 , and nearly bought them, good you tube instructions and seen full length bars coloured coded looks great .

Total Downloaded
    They look cool,but make sure what ever you are going to fit on the rails is readily available in Aus.

I went with Rhino tracks,easy to fit and heaps of accessories around that fit.But they are not rails,just tracks.
    Paul

D2,D2,D2a,D4,'09 Defender 110(sons), all moved on.

'56 S1,been in the family since...'56
    Comes out of hibernation every few months for a run

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by scarry View Post
    They look cool,but make sure what ever you are going to fit on the rails is readily available in Aus.

I went with Rhino tracks,easy to fit and heaps of accessories around that fit.But they are not rails,just tracks.
    When you say they are tracks, how is that different from a rail? because these also come with 2 cross bars.

tiddy

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by tiddy View Post
    When you say they are tracks, how is that different from a rail? because these also come with 2 cross bars.

tiddy
    When the vehicle is new it has blank covers on the roof,one each side.You can take these off then fit different types of tracks to the roof.The bar legs,or whatever fit in the tracks.The tracks also follow the step in the roof,so the front bars have longer legs.
    What you are looking at is a sort of track that also has rails at the front so it is all at one level.

If you look on the Rhino site you will see what i mean.

Hope this makes sense.
    Paul

Total Downloaded
    This is what i have,(suits my needs),you can also fit tracks to the front section if you want,the bars then have longer legs.

Have a look at this

http://www.rhinorack.com/rhinoweb/rh..._discovery.pdf
    Paul

RBT Guest
    After spending some time researching (and procrastinating) I decided at less than 1/2 the cost of genuine I’d go the copies from Aussie Auto Parts.

I’ve seen the genuine fitted to a D4 and except that the copy are gloss black vs the genuine satin/flat black, they appear identical to me.

You have to watch the YouTube clip on the Aussie Auto Parts web site as the Chinglish instructions were hopeless (else you can get the genuine instructions here: http://media.disco3.co.uk/ownerinfo/...20LR006442.pdf)

While they came well packaged, there were 2 missing screws. I ended up sending $6 on some quality stainless steel hex head screws as I found the star-headed screws easily stripped-out (but that could’ve been because the star-driver I had wasn’t a perfect fit…)

As for quality, I found the paint cover lacking inside the grove where the bars attach, but it can’t be seen unless you look at it closely from above the roofline.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by scarry View Post
    This is what i have,(suits my needs),you can also fit tracks to the front section if you want,the bars then have longer legs.

Have a look at this

http://www.rhinorack.com/rhinoweb/rh..._discovery.pdf

Scary thanks for that, I assume you have the 3/4 length Rhino system, which the ones from Aussie offer as well.

Just have to decide which way to, either way the Rhino or the Aussie would be heaps less expensive than the LR ones.

tiddy