Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Updating SatNav Maps MY12+

Total Downloaded

Updating SatNav Maps MY12+

For those who have the factory SatNav in their D4 MY12 onwards this is the process I went through to update the map base.

If you have looked at the Land Rover / WhereIs site and thought that updates beyond 18 wasn't available for MY12 vehicle rest assured that they are. Apparently the information on the site is wrong. Before I paid over my $199 + $8.50 shipping, MLR service department confirmed that the MY13 will work as it is the same system.

https://www.landrover.whereis.com.au/default.asp

After purchasing the DVD via the above site it gets mailed out, mine arrived next day with standard shipping. With the DVD now in you hand grab your VIN and enter it back in the Land Rover / WhereIs site, My Account and it will spit out a key / License Code for the install.

As most would know the ICE has a habit of turning itself off after 10 minutes or under a low battery condition. To circumvent this I attached a battery charge and pressed the start button (no foot on brake) so the ignition is on but without the engine running as the map upload takes over an hour.

With the ignition on and ICE on make sure there are no discs in the ICE and insert the Update DVD. This is where things get interesting. The first initial "Loading disc..." screen appears, then a popup states "Disc error". Fear not as this will pass and another screen will appear stating that the loading of the maps will take 1:08 hours. Another odd screens appears "Please insert disc" but this two passes and a screen to input the license code appears. Tap in the key generated back on the Land Rover / WhereIs My Account page and the installation starts and shows progression %.

During this the dash information screen shows "Disc error" the whole time. Finally after an hour the install finishes. Select OK, eject the DVD and you're right to go.

I thought I'd post this as the instructions offered on the website are for Volvo vehicles and nothing corresponds to what I had to do.

https://www.landrover.whereis.com.au...ruction-guides

Hope this helps others.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Total Downloaded

Additional Screen shots

Additional Screen shots
    Attached Images Attached Images

Total Downloaded
    Hi Rufusking.

Do you know how to determine what version of the map is already installed?

Looking at the pics the version available is Aus20

Total Downloaded
    That is a mystery! You can try using the release dates to get an idea of which version was installed.

17 ~ March 2011
    18 ~ 2012
    19 ~ Jan 2013
    20 ~ 2014

Otherwise there is a listing of major roads added to each version. You could check a known road on the screen and check it against a listed update to get an idea of which version may be on your system.

Total Downloaded
    Thanks for posting this. I had a real issue trying to update maps on my previous Jag XFR. LR/Jag do not make it easy for the consumer sometimes. Now I know it can be down here in NZ as well without having to go to the dealer.

Central Tasmania (formerly Adelaide Hills)
    Total Downloaded
    Hi Rufusking,
    Thanks for the information. I had some questions but since posting found the answers. Pity I can't delete the post, just edit.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by rufusking View Post
    That is a mystery! You can try using the release dates to get an idea of which version was installed.

17 ~ March 2011
    18 ~ 2012
    19 ~ Jan 2013
    20 ~ 2014

Otherwise there is a listing of major roads added to each version. You could check a known road on the screen and check it against a listed update to get an idea of which version may be on your system.
    I contacted the dealer to see if they know how to check what the current version was and they said that there's no way to do so but my car would have the latest version. It's a NOV 13 D4. You would think there would be a way to find this out by looking at the system.

Total Downloaded
    From what I understand none of the scan tools can access the inner workings of the ICE, i.e. change idle timer, read map version etc. Interestingly one of the files on the Update DVD has the version as 2013 V1 although it wasn't released until 2014

Total Downloaded
    So far so good. Disk ordered, arrived and installation has commenced.

The progress indicator shows percentages in increments of 5. I was thinking it was stalled since it sat on zero for what seemed like ages. Much happier when it jumped to 5%. Now at 30%.

The update will proceed while driving the car. If you don't have access to extra batteries or a charger you could combine the update with a trip. You just won't be able navigate so don't get lost for at least an hour. :-)

The process seems stable. It has coped with me ejecting the disk and turning the ICE off and back on. All done when I mistakenly thought the update was stalled. I'm now trying to be more patient...........Are we there yet?

Total Downloaded
    Success. Thanks again rufusking. The system has retained my "home", my icons and my breadcrumbs too. In the end a painless process.

Now to see if the new roads and intersections are accurate......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast