Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brand spankin'

Total Downloaded

Brand spankin'

As the title suggests, I'm brand new to this brand and the forum. I am very interested in the Disco 4, I think they're the easy the sweetest thing of their type. However........a big however, EVERYONE tells me I'm mad to consider one. The reliability and failure woes I'm told are well known, steer clear, use your brains and only consider Toyota. Please talk me out of a Disco if thats pretty much the truth...over to you. Thanks guys.

Total Downloaded
    Firstly, Welcome! What part of Melbourne are you from?
    Discovery 3/4 have their problems, as does any make of vehicle. You'll find that the Nissyota fan boys will try and talk you into their make of choice as much as we will try and talk you into a D4.
    Are you buying new or second hand?
    Diesel or petrol?
    Poverty pack or full dresser?
    What will your usage patterns be, mainly onroad, offroad, long distance onroad, long distance offroad, doing the lap towing...?
    How long do you want to keep it for?
    What's your level of mechanical skill, and do you want to drive in/drive out of a dealer, or do all the work yourself?
    The LR vehicles have gotten a lot more reliable in the last 10 years. The D3/4 models are significantly better on the whole than the earlier Discoverys. That being said, they do have a few issues, but none that we here would consider deal-breakers. Others who own D4s will be along shortly with the finer details. Personally, I reckon that the D3/4 is the best all round vehicle out there. I love the Jeckyl and Hyde quality of them, you can be cruising at 100km/h and see an interesting track, chuck a u-ey, flip a couple of switches, and be climbing a steep rocky slope, then get to the other side, flip the switches back, and hit highway speeds again. That's just one of the many reasons we owners have "The Permagrin" on our faces.
    Regards, Will

Stornoway Grey '09 D3 TDV6 SE, 2015 TERRITORY Engine at 348k
    LLAMS, FYRLYTS, OL D4 Bar
    Safari Snorkel, D4 hitch, ARB CKMA12

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by applesandoranges View Post
    As the title suggests, I'm brand new to this brand and the forum. I am very interested in the Disco 4, I think they're the easy the sweetest thing of their type. However........a big however, EVERYONE tells me I'm mad to consider one. The reliability and failure woes I'm told are well known, steer clear, use your brains and only consider Toyota. Please talk me out of a Disco if thats pretty much the truth...over to you. Thanks guys.
    Everyone tells you that you're mad? You must only be talking to Toyota drivers then.

Have a read through the forum, form your own opinion, and then go and have a drive.

I guarantee that if you don't like the D4 after you have bought one, I will buy it off you.....

for $10

Ok?

Total Downloaded
    My niece, who is a qualified mechanic for Toyota, talked me out of a 200 series.

Had a loaner for a week to test drive, and the D4 for almost the same time....the D4 is light years ahead. The 200 is a truck dressed up.

Toyota 200 still chews oil regardless of what owners refuse to believe, and is a real problem for Toyota...they has lost their way.

Nissan is not a comparable vehicle.

D4 is the only heavy duty tow vehicle, that is the ultimate off-road, that is a great highway cruiser, that is economical compared to the rest, fantastic luxury, and a great badge.....it has no peers.

Brett....

Total Downloaded
    Thanks for those quick replies. Firstly, its not a question of liking it, I've driven one and it was a a joy, wonderful machine. The wife will be the main driver, lugging kids around, but it will get some snow work and I'm keen to use its abilities, after all this is the perfect country for a Land Rover. No, I doubt if my mechanic skills would get used much, I don't have any. I'm just unsure if I should follow my heart, or just get a mega-boring Japanese thing, after hearing of so much negative press. I'd be looking at the TDV6, but I have'nt decided on options etc. And a 7 seater is a must. I just know if we turn around and buy a Prado, I'll be looking at it and going, I wish I had a Disco!

Total Downloaded
    Are you looking new or used? If new, try and negotiate an extended test drive, just to make sure it's what you want.

If used, well, there's no shame in admitting you made a mistake and part exchanging against a Prado later on.

Total Downloaded
    I went through the same things about 5 months ago!! I went with the disco I've always always loved them and wanted one but was nervous about the reliability. I was looking at a prado and thought the same thing slow boring and no fun!! Well I'm glad I paid the extra and got the Disco they are just awesome and have little to no problems at all just read around and you'll see there was one issue a few weeks ago with the rotary dial, but other than that fault it's about the only major thing I've seen go wrong with one on here. The other faults have generally been caused by people wiring stuff wrong or simple things like that.

Test drive both in one day back to back and see which way you want to go!! But your talking to people who have here say issues oh I heard a mate years ago who had an issue with one they have never owned them nor have any idea about them just a story they heard ages ago.

Total Downloaded
    Hi and Welcome.
    I will tell you how good the D4s are after friday,I pick my brand new one up then.I have owned a few Series Landies,and have a pair of TD5s a Defender and a Disco 2 which are both up for sale.Even what people call a troublesome vehicle,the D2 has been a pleasure to own.
    You will regret a Playdoh,especially after driving a D4,they are a pretty average styless vehicle.
    Andrew
    DISCOVERY IS TO BE DISOWNED
    Midlife Crisis.Im going to get stuck into mine early and ENJOY it.
    Snow White MY14 TDV6 D4
    Alotta Fagina MY14 CAT 12M Motor Grader
    2003 Stacer 525 Sea Master Sport
    I made the 1 millionth AULRO post

Total Downloaded
    Drive each of them (D4 and 200 Series) and after that, use what is on these forums to help make up your mind. If you do decide on a D4, AULRO is THE best resource you can imagine. You won't find a better, more friendly, helpful bunch of people anywhere else online. Pretty much any answer you require can be found here, usually in a short space of time.

My sister and BIL (previously Nissan and Toyota people) would say - go the D4 as the 200 Series is a barge in comparison. When looking to upgrade their Prado they drove both, and after going for a spin in the D4 signed on the dotted line in a heartbeat. You couldn't get the pen in their hands fast enough!

Their next job is to do the Green Oval Experience training (gghaggis on this forum or find GOE online) to learn how to properly use the D4's systems. A revolution happened in 2005 with the introduction of the D3 with Land Rover's Terrain Response System, which most Toyota and Nissan owners don't quite understand yet. You will come to realise that the 200 Series vs D4 is as a prop airliner vs jet......

Don't forget that the Discovery is the only true 7 seater if you are ever considering adults in the back two seats. And they fold down flat into the floor too, for a magnificently large cargo space.
    Last edited by cripesamighty; 5th August 2014 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Added extra comment

Total Downloaded
    we just got our 2008 d3 our friends their new 200 series with both families having 4 kids the disco has more room the rear seats have more comfort , stow better and we didnt have to spend $6 k to make it go off road , did mention better fuel economy and no ladder to get into the vehicle ????

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast