Thread: stuck upper tailgate D4 - help

Total Downloaded

stuck upper tailgate D4 - help

Well, this didn't happen on my big trip but has just happened today at the snow. Rear upper tailgate won't open with the boot release on the key or unlock. Also difficult to close properly & I have a cargo barrier ( tools were inside the boot but we found a wrench and screwdriver ).
    My question is - how do I manually release this? I have drifta drawers in place and at one stage the car wouldn't lock either.

What are the quick fix to this? I don't want to have to load from the middle row, bolt the barrier up again and do the reverse at the other end. Oh yeah and I'm at Thredbo so miles from LR garage.

Total Downloaded
    Being difficult to close it may have something caught applying pressure on the locks rather than the old D3 problem of a broken end of the cable. I would try applying significant pressure to close it further then having someone else press the unlock button.
    MY12 RRV 4.4 TDV8 AB, +LLAMS, +e-diff, +ACC stop/go. Produce LLAMS for LR/RR, Jeep GC/Dodge Ram
    VK2HFG and APRS W1 digi

Total Downloaded
    Wild long shot, but try starting the car, shifting into drive, then back to park & see if it will unlock.

I have been caught by this when dropping the kids at school, and they go to get their bags out of the back.

Only rationale to my thinking is that being in the snow, the car MIGHT not have sent all the messages to its brains to tell it to open wide...

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Basil135 View Post
    Wild long shot, but try starting the car, shifting into drive, then back to park & see if it will unlock.

I have been caught by this when dropping the kids at school, and they go to get their bags out of the back.

Only rationale to my thinking is that being in the snow, the car MIGHT not have sent all the messages to its brains to tell it to open wide...
    I was thinking the same as I've been caught out flying up a dirt road for an hour then said to my partner she drive and just put it in neutral and park brake on went to grab something out of the back and it wouldn't open I was like ****** hell one dirt road and it won't open haha put it in park all good haha thank god.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by nat_89 View Post
    I was thinking the same as I've been caught out flying up a dirt road for an hour then said to my partner she drive and just put it in neutral and park brake on went to grab something out of the back and it wouldn't open I was like ****** hell one dirt road and it won't open haha put it in park all good haha thank god.
    It prevents a thief from opening the tailgate whilst stopped momentarily in traffic.
    MY12 RRV 4.4 TDV8 AB, +LLAMS, +e-diff, +ACC stop/go. Produce LLAMS for LR/RR, Jeep GC/Dodge Ram
    VK2HFG and APRS W1 digi

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    It prevents a thief from opening the tailgate whilst stopped momentarily in traffic.
    Be good if that could be programmed off.

We find it, as i am sure many others do,a PITA.

Same as the relocking after a timed period once the vehicle is unlocked if a door/tailgate has not been opened,apparently it cannot be programmed out either.
    May possibly be an ADR.
    Paul

D2,D2,D2a,D4,'09 Defender 110(sons), all moved on.

'56 S1,been in the family since...'56
    Comes out of hibernation every few months for a run

Total Downloaded
    I used to dislike the auto relocking but after having the D4 locks activated by the owner of another brand of vehicle that was parked next to the D4, I'm now happy to have it relock. I've still been too slow to open a door a few times since though.
    VK2HFG and APRS W1 digi

Total Downloaded
    Is there an auto-release like the hand-brake or spare door key for those locks? Funnily enough had read about others making a home made emergency release for just this occasion.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Ahh thank you didn't know that!!

Total Downloaded
    Managed to find a adjustable spanner and a wheel brace cum flat head screwdriver from a rental vehicle with us to remove the Autosafe barrier to load / unload.
    The tailgate opened ok at home, then stuck again. Looks like it opens if you start and put into drive. So glad this did not happen in the Outback....next stop to find the link to the home made emergency release mod and get this fitted ASAP! Luck I did not get a flat on the way back, as the drawers were also in place. How many others have had tail gate issues?

Also whilst at the snow when leaving had a flat battery ( 2 month old Bosch ), the Traxide / Yellow Top wouldn't start the car either in the Jump / Winch start mode, got to test the ABR Jump leads out, again with the rental vehicle as donor. Try explaining why the negative terminal goes on the earth point to a group of hungover mates took a while!