Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice

Total Downloaded

Need advice

Evening.
    I am very new to this and have just purchased a s2a LWB with an original engine. My first idea was to swop the good bits from this onto a SWB but that fell through. I am now thinking of stripping the engine down, cleaning up the the running gear, and putting it back together.
    I have no experience and intend to use a workshop Book and YouTube for assistance.
    Any advice on what I should do and not do, where to get parts and general ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks
    Steve.

JDNSW is online now RoverLord Silver Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Step 1
    Have a look at the section headed Series 2/2a, and read as many of the threads as you can manage - probably starting with the most recent and working backwards.

These will give you a good idea of what you are likely to need to do, and also a very good idea how to do it and where to get parts.

(A lot of the Series 3 forum threads are applicable too)

Step 2
    Go to "shop" in the title bar just below the banner, and order the SERIESIICD, which includes the workshop and parts manuals on CD (last item in the list of CD/DVDs). The parts manual is useful for more than just ordering parts - it tells you where parts have changed (the letter suffix on the chassis number is the important bit), and it also has a lot more pictures than the workshop manual, which often really helps to show you how the bits go together (or come apart).

You need to be aware that many parts are interchangeable across all Series Landrovers, so that you are likely to find bits on your car that are from a different model. This can apply particularly to things like screw threads, which started off BSW/BSF/BA, then gradually went to UNC/UNF, and late Series 3 started to get metric; and this long after it was made, original bolts and nuts could have been replaced with anything! You will need Whitworth, AF (Imperial) and possibly metric spanners. AF spanners are readily available, Whitworth are harder to find, in my experience best place tends to be markets, garage sales and Opp shops! But any worthwhile tool shop will get them in for you, but don't expect them to be cheap if you are getting new spanners.

John
    John

JDNSW
    1986 110 County 3.9 diesel
    1970 2a 109 2.25 petrol

Total Downloaded

Thanks

Thanks
    Will get onto ordering the CD, have been reading the threads and am getting a little overwhelmed as to where to start.

Steve.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in Cairns View Post
    Thanks
    Will get onto ordering the CD, have been reading the threads and am getting a little overwhelmed as to where to start.

Steve.
    Open the bonnet and go from there. Heaps of help on the forum and there is bound to be a few members up near you as well.
    PaulT

REMLR 256 / SLOw 4 (P)

W/Shops/trailers & GS's
    RRs, Disco's, 110s & 109s.

Total Downloaded
    What are you intending? Having a runner, or doing a full restore.

If a full restore, start with chassis, then go for a rolling chassis and onward from there.

If just getting it running, start by making a list of what doesn't work, what needs to work, then what would be nice to do as time/money allows.

I wont lie and say its all beers and skittles, there will be times you hold your head in your hands and swear alot, but its a fun thing to do and at the end of it you will have one of the most character filled vehicles ever created. Every drive is just fun.

Good luck

Total Downloaded

Got to love SuperCheap

My three year old daughter has just got me my Father's Day present, 55% off engine crane and stand at SuperCheap. She's such a considerate child for her age.

I am looking at doing a full restoration.
    Not to show room standard, but so that it works, is safe and well last another 40 years.

Total Downloaded
    I did the same thing a few years ago. Here:
    My 2a GS project

I had no Land Rover knowledge at all. I was a long-term appreciator and had a definite purpose in restoring the vehicle- my father was a Vietnam veteran and I grew up doing "army" stuff, watching all ANZAC Day marches and being very proud of him.

So, I had a love for Army Land Rovers and wanted to restore it, as close as my budget and skill allowed, to Army spec.

Restoration can seem daunting at the start but if I, with no mechanical experience but with some manual ability, could do it with a few manuals and the AMAZING help of people on this forum I'm sure anyone can have a go and get a good result. Since I started the restoration the Land Rover bug has bitten and my knowledge has grown heaps.

I'll help as I can on the forum here. I'd love for you to post up some photos.

Matthew

Total Downloaded
    image.jpg

First pic of Peggy, will try to get up a couple more

Total Downloaded

More pics of Peggy

image.jpg

Apologies this is the first time I have posted pictures, I will try to get a bit better at it.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in Cairns View Post
    image.jpg

First pic of Peggy, will try to get up a couple more
    Looks like a great foundation for a restoration!
    Love the cup holders and grab handle.

I can see you might need one or more seat-box lids.
    Lovely straight panes and it looks like it has a shovel pioneer tool mount?
    Wipers mounted above the screen is unusual too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast