Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do any of the Perenties hold value to collectors?

Total Downloaded

Do any of the Perenties hold value to collectors?

I've read somewhere that they only made 11 senior commanders I have no idea if this is true? But my question is are there any sort of military collector type guys looking for perenties. I know this is huge in the states but unsure about Australia... The reason I ask is because I'm planning to butcher my two senior commanders for lack of a better word but would think twice about it if these particular vehicles where sought after by people for some reason... I'm just curious not interested in if they are worth more money that doesn't worry me, more interested in if they hold historic worth to people...

Total Downloaded
    Yep. Some people would see the rarer variants to be something worth preserving.
    Mind you, they're your vehicles, you do as you wish.
    My experience is, later down the track, the more original a car, the greater the resale value on your original investment. That's not to say you will make a profit, more that you will suffer less of a loss.

Total Downloaded
    Thanks Mick,

I was planning on mainly using them just to move bee-hives around ect... The re-sale doesn't worry me as there aren't any other vehicles available on the market that meet my requirements of being cheap hose out ranch style vehicles. But one of the senior commanders was going to be heavily modified and given to my old man for launching his boat and as a bit of beach buggy with the roof removed roll cage fitted maybe an engine upgrade, modern dash ect... Do you think it would possibly interest anyone to do a trade of a senior commander for a soft-top perentie of some variant as restoring them wasn't really what I had in mind and a soft-top still meets my requirements perfectly just with two less doors...

Total Downloaded
    I reckon you'd be able to sell the Senior Commander and get a GS and have a few dollars in your pocket.
    If I remember right, a Senior Commander is a four door. If I remember right, they were getting over $10k at the auctions. What are the GS variants getting at auction? $6k?

Total Downloaded
    Well, I'll upset a few LR types. I don't consider Land Rovers to be collector cars. Maybe a few individual ones with custom bodywork, or one owned/used by notable persons, or took part in significant events.

They are just a work horse of no great technical merit, mass produced, and relatively cheap when new.
    URSUSMAJOR

Total Downloaded
    I remember wagons in good nic going for over $20k with fees & a wreck going for $7 or $8k.
    L322 tdv8 poverty pack - wow
    Perentie 110 wagon ARN 49-107 (probably selling) turbo, p/steer, RFSV front axle/trutrack, HF, gullwing windows, double jerrys etc.
    Perentie 110 wagon ARN 48-699 another project
    Track Trailer ARN 200-117
    REMLR # 137

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hjelm View Post
    Well, I'll upset a few LR types. I don't consider Land Rovers to be collector cars. Maybe a few individual ones with custom bodywork, or one owned/used by notable persons, or took part in significant events.
    Well, yeah, goes for all things.
    The thing is, 110Lizared is asking about one of eleven built. A Veyron is more common. A Gunbuggy is more common. An Australian delivered 101 is more common.
    Given that a lot of those eleven will be butchered anyway regardless of any advice given, If I had one, I'd be squirreling it away somewhere.
    Of note, people are paying way more for Australian delivered 101s than the ADF sold them for, and to get an umolested one today is a very rare thing.

Total Downloaded
    Yeah mine are incomplete vehicles that's why I bought them as they were going to modified anyway... All the running gear is there they run nice just missing some interior bits, doors and other easy to find bits head lights ect. One was bought for 4k one was bought for 6k....

Brian almost every car and thing that is collectible was the same at some stage look at 67-71 ford falcon's mass produced family sedans now incredibly collectible. The military jeeps in America same story now incredibly collectible... Either way I don't mind was just curious being as they only made 11 it seems and don't want to destroy something that holds value to certain people... Be interesting to hear some other opinions then I'll decide if I'll try to sell or swap them but Being as they are incomplete might not be worth it???

Total Downloaded
    As stated - your vehicle you can do what you want with it. However I would see if someone wants to swap a good registered GS for one, and/or make sure any mods can be reversed in case they become valuable later...

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by 110Lizard View Post
    Yeah mine are incomplete vehicles that's why I bought them as they were going to modified anyway... All the running gear is there they run nice just missing some interior bits, doors and other easy to find bits head lights ect. One was bought for 4k one was bought for 6k....

Brian almost every car and thing that is collectible was the same at some stage look at 67-71 ford falcon's mass produced family sedans now incredibly collectible. The military jeeps in America same story now incredibly collectible... Either way I don't mind was just curious being as they only made 11 it seems and don't want to destroy something that holds value to certain people... Be interesting to hear some other opinions then I'll decide if I'll try to sell or swap them but Being as they are incomplete might not be worth it???
    I have been involved with veteran, vintage, classic, and collectable cars and motor cycles since my teen years. I am 73. I firmly believe in the collector adage of "rubbish then=rubbish now". Low priced mass produced family cars will never have collector appeal except to a small group of dedicated fans. You wont see Falcons going for millions at the Pebble Beach or Amelia Island auctions. Look at Mustangs, once sought after and sold up to $70,000. Now the owners are hard put to shift them in the 20's and 30's.There is one that has been for sale in Brisbane that started at $150,000 (hell of a sense of humour this guy) which has gradually been reduced to $75,000 and still no takers. Much pre-war mass produced restorations are now almost unsaleable at any price. Why? They were just basic cars, no great technical merit, no competition history, not owned by the famous or notorious. Just cheap cars. If you want something that will hold or increase its value look for the upmarket luxury or high performance vehicles of their time. Some might even still be fun to drive and not too dangerous in today's traffic.
    URSUSMAJOR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast