Thread: VW transporter T4

Total Downloaded

VW transporter T4

A very good friend of mine who lives in Coffs has the miss-fortune to own a 96 VW T4 Transporter, it has caused him much angst over the years and now I think the final proverbial straw has been placed upon the camel's back, it has developed a severe leak from the steering rack, seals? quoted $2200.00 for a replacement, no indication of a repair cost. Has anyone had any experience in the replacement of said seals, will be heading down in a few days to assist the poor bugger, any info prior to my departure would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    jhonno

Total Downloaded
    A thorough internet search often provides a lot of info including youtube DIY videos... seals ought to be available from aftermarket parts places which handle European spares... (e.g. Euro car parts Villawood, NSW)
    (As an example: Mother-in-law's Volvo S40 (concourse condition 12yrs old 47,00km...) needed new belts, filters, seals of one sort or another and all sorts of other stuff which had deteriorated with time. Volvo parts in Sydney quoted close to $2k... ended up getting virtually everything from various euro spare parts places ...some genuine, most manufactured by Volvo OEM suppliers... a bit less than $800. Then got info on how to do the job from the Net... Volvo owners' fora , free workshop manual downloads etc.) ---you'd probably get a lot of useful info similarly for the VW ...
    MY99 RR P38 HSE 4.6 (Thor) gone (to Tasmania)
    2020 Subaru Impreza S ('SWMBO's Express' )
    2023 Ineos Grenadier Trialmaster (diesel)