Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ergonomic mouse

Total Downloaded

Ergonomic mouse

I've been having a bit of grief lately with right forearm pain/stiffness, and noticing that its worse when using the mouse on the computer.
    I'm in an IT job so spend a fair bit of time with mouse in hand.

Anyone recommend a good ergonomic mouse, or have hints on what to look for when choosing one?

Steve
    1985 County - Isuzu 4bd1 with HX30W turbo, LT95, 255/85-16 KM2's
    1988 120 with rust and potential
    1999 300tdi 130 single cab - "stock as bro"
    2003 D2a Td5 - the boss's daily drive

Judo is offline ChatterBox Silver Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Before you look at a mouse - or perhaps as well as - have you done a proper assessment of your desk and chair setup and subsequently posture while at a PC?

Buying ergonomic equipment is a great idea, but be careful you're not ignoring the root cause...

Edit: Didn't answer your question. Sorry. :p
    - Justin

'95 Disco 300TDI - sold
    '86 County 110 Isuzu
    2006 Range Rover Vogue td6

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Judo View Post
    Before you look at a mouse - or perhaps as well as - have you done a proper assessment of your desk and chair setup and subsequently posture while at a PC?

Buying ergonomic equipment is a great idea, but be careful you're not ignoring the root cause...

Edit: Didn't answer your question. Sorry. :p
    I agree with this - seating position is very important, in conjunction with the right mouse (and keyboard).

That said, you don't have to buy an "ergonomic" mouse to get a better fit for you hand, or the way you use the mouse. A cheaper generic mouse might work better, if it happens to fit your hand better or fit the way you use your mouse better.

I use my mouse in a pincer-grip (ie. between thumb and fingers, but don't touch the mouse with the palm of my hand), and ergonomic mice aren't of any benefit to me.

Another option is a trackball. A little bit of getting used to, but they use the muscles of your arm/hand differently, so might give some relief.

Another thing I have seen tried, though I haven't had to, is train yourself to use your left hand. I know a couple of SAP ABAP programmers that have done this to good effect.

As for mice - do Harvey Norman and the like still have their range of mice on display? You used to be able to go in and physically check them out. It won't give you a long-term analysis, but you can see how each feels to your hand.

Total Downloaded
    Thought of using - replace or occasional - a trackball ?

Different muscles being used, differing amounts and movement ranges.

Yes, I know they're few and far between...

The human body seems to work better with gross motor movements, and/or 'pressure' variations. Pushing 'zero' force in exacting, rigidly controlled micro-movements seems to be the worst.
    Then there's the personalitiy. Obsessive and goal-driven folk will fare badly, regardless of mouse design.

In the mean time you could alter the speed of the mouse, so you need to physically move it further on the desk to traverse the same distance on-screen.
    --- And get up onto your feet every 15 ~ 20 minutes.

Total Downloaded
    As others have said, ergonomics of the whole set up is important, but I have also spent a lot of time over the years trying various mice (and keyboards). It's a very personal choice, but I've had very good success with the Evoluent series of mice which use your hand in a sideways fashion (a bit like pushing a potato around your desk). I've also had good experience using more than one mouse or device and swapping between them during the day. At present I swap between an Evoluent right hand mouse and a Logitech trackpad I use with my left hand. I've tried using trackballs but I've never been able to warm to them.

Total Downloaded
    Thanks all.
    Have done a bit of a sanity check on the general ergonomics of the desk/chair etc and everything is pretty good.
    My right hand is much more comfortable in the stubby-holding orientation than flat on the mouse. Have been trying a few different hand/mouse positions today after your suggestions so will pursue that further as well as looking into a different mouse - even if its only for use as a "something different"

Steve
    1985 County - Isuzu 4bd1 with HX30W turbo, LT95, 255/85-16 KM2's
    1988 120 with rust and potential
    1999 300tdi 130 single cab - "stock as bro"
    2003 D2a Td5 - the boss's daily drive

Total Downloaded
    I used to get a sore wrist until I got a wrist rest mine is a razer exactrest. I have it for about 8 years now. it works a treat.

p38arover is offline Major part of the heart and soul of AULRO.com
    Administrator
    I'm here to help you!
    Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by superquag View Post
    Thought of using - replace or occasional - a trackball ?
    We used to use a trackball on one piece of equipment at work. I hated it - I couldn't get the accuracy I wanted cf. a mouse.
    Ron B.
    VK2OTC

2003 L322 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Auto
    2007 Yamaha XJR1300
    Previous: 1983, 1986 RRC; 1995, 1996 P38A; 1995 Disco1; 1984 V8 County 110; Series IIA

RIP Bucko - Riding on Forever

Total Downloaded
    Do a search for the Evoluent Mouse. It works in a vertical "handshake" sort of plane.

I had bad RSI on my index finger (switched mouse hands for 2 or 3 months to let it get better) and then I came back to this. Mine is set up with one button to double click automatically, so no need for double clicking manually, which takes a lot of strain off the index finger (as you are using another button altogether with your 3rd finger - if that makes sense).

No problems since.

HTH
    David

Edit: Just to say, it is as accurate as a normal mouse. Like Ron, I tried a trackball but it never really did it for me....

p38arover is offline Major part of the heart and soul of AULRO.com
    Administrator
    I'm here to help you!
    Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    That looks interesting.
    Ron B.
    VK2OTC

2003 L322 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Auto
    2007 Yamaha XJR1300
    Previous: 1983, 1986 RRC; 1995, 1996 P38A; 1995 Disco1; 1984 V8 County 110; Series IIA

RIP Bucko - Riding on Forever

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast