Thread: Memory Seat Madness

Total Downloaded

Memory Seat Madness

Folks, some wisdom on the following issue would be appreciated:

I've recently had a third key coded (so now have three working keys) and ever since that was done lazy entry will not work (however the buttons on the seat work correctly and each key appears to have the correct settings applied - apart from lazy entry). I've tried resetting each key, programming them to new positions, hard reset and speaking nicely to the vehicle - none of which meet with success. I've seemingly got it working on several occasions only to have it not work when I next try it out ... driving me nuts ... vehicle is an 05 D3 and it has the most recent seat computer (not related to the problem I think as it was all working fine before the new key). Stealer has looked at it, done whatever they do to do a hard reset and given it back saying it should work and that I just need to setup the keys again ... which I have done ... anyone had an issue like this previously and can share their solution ... random guesses also welcome

Total Downloaded
    My experience with the easy (American) entry setting for the driver seat has been haphazard at best. I personally don't like it (makes it hard to fold down the second row seat when the drivers seat drops and moves back) and at the 6 month / first safety check asked the dealer to disable it (doesn't appear to be any user setting on the MY12 HSE). After being told it was disabled it continued to do it from time to time. 12 month service asked again to have it sorted, again it would revert to easy entry every now and again. Then one day it just stopped doing it. Cann't tie it to any specific event but I'm happy how and touch wood it stays that way. Vehicle is now 2 1/2 years old.

I know this doesn't help but my experience is that it's temperamental.

Total Downloaded
    The thing is, mine has worked perfectly for the life of the car and it's a favourite feature as I am 6'2" and my wife is (kindly) 5'1" so it makes life easy (lazy) !!

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic pooh View Post
    The thing is, mine has worked perfectly for the life of the car and it's a favourite feature as I am 6'2" and my wife is (kindly) 5'1" so it makes life easy (lazy) !!
    It like me and my wife; I wish we had electric memory seats in both cars. At least the D4 has electric seats as I can fine tune the seating position while driving after my wife has driven it. The Golf is a different matter as I stand outside pumping the height handle before being able to reach in to slide it back. The wife has the reverse problem.
    2012 Fuji White 3.0 D4, Rear view camera, Hi-line sound, E-diff, Xenon lights, ARB winch bar, Lightforce 240 50w HID. Brads sliders.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Plane Fixer View Post
    It like me and my wife; I wish we had electric memory seats in both cars. At least the D4 has electric seats as I can fine tune the seating position while driving after my wife has driven it. The Golf is a different matter as I stand outside pumping the height handle before being able to reach in to slide it back. The wife has the reverse problem.

I know exactly how you feel, had an Audi A3 (same car) and every time I got in it after my partner I had to do exactly the same. Needless to say we traded in on a HSE to get the memory seats to avoid the pumping. Bloody fantastic

Total Downloaded
    One thing that I have done with the saved seat memories (1, 2 & 3) is 1 is my normal driving position, 2 is full recline so I can take a quick nap and 3 is normal driving position but with side mirrors pointing down and in so I can see the rear tyres on the road. Handy from parking to rock crawling. Odd thing is you can't save seperate dipped positions for when you select reverse.

SBD4 is offline A Keeper of the TGO Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by rufusking View Post
    One thing that I have done with the saved seat memories (1, 2 & 3) is 1 is my normal driving position, 2 is full recline so I can take a quick nap and 3 is normal driving position but with side mirrors pointing down and in so I can see the rear tyres on the road. Handy from parking to rock crawling. Odd thing is you can't save seperate dipped positions for when you select reverse.
    Yes you can, I have my mirrors set to dip when reverse is selected.
    Cheers,

Sean

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” - Albert Einstein

Total Downloaded
    Yep we have different reverse dips set per key and they work fine ... Just the infernal lazy entry won't work ... First world problems have to press the seat button ... Haha

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by SBD4 View Post
    Yes you can, I have my mirrors set to dip when reverse is selected.
    Agree, easy to activate in vehicle setup, what I have found is the dipped position of the mirrors are the same regardless of which seat memory is used.

Total Downloaded
    An update on my first world problem - after trying just about every combination of things I could think of as far as key settings go, hard resets, reflashing the IPC computer, refitting the old memory seat module ... blah blah ... after many hours of faffing about I have discovered that both the original keys work properly but the new key is the one causing the issue (whenever it is introduced the other two also muck up). So I've sent it to the stealer who provided the key, they have mucked around but actually have no clue ... so I have abolished all the custom settings for the new key and returned to using the original two keys and ... voila ... lazy entry working flawlessly. The new key works fine but cannot have any customisations set.

I have no idea what is behind this (nor does the dealer or anyone else), but one day when I am feeling brave, I am going to use my IIDTool to recode the the three keys in a different sequence and see if that fixes matters. It may very well sort things out, because I've experienced a couple of things where my IIDTool does a more effective job than the dealer system (eg. IPC software changes).

Anyway, it's good to have working lazy entry again so motivation is low to muck around.