Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Axel info urgent

Total Downloaded

Axel info urgent

Hi guys,
    I think I just broke an axel on Boorumbah my 1958 109 inch. She has full floating axels and when I engaged 4wd I was able to drive home. There was no bang no clunk. Just loss of drive the tail shaft moves but the car doesn't. Now I seem to remember Series 2 Axels fit but not sure if that's with or without a spacer. I haven't pulled the axel out yet as it's up getting new tyres fitted this morning. If I fit series 2 axels do I have to replace both of them ? Is it the long side that breaks or the short side? How do I get the broken piece out ?
    Any helpful advice appreciated I was about to head off over East in the old Girl on Friday so I'm glad it happend here not on the Nullabor . Trying to get her mobile again ASAP.
    Mike

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Defender Mike View Post
    Hi guys,
    I think I just broke an axel on Boorumbah my 1958 109 inch. She has full floating axels and when I engaged 4wd I was able to drive home. There was no bang no clunk. Just loss of drive the tail shaft moves but the car doesn't. Now I seem to remember Series 2 Axels fit but not sure if that's with or without a spacer. I haven't pulled the axel out yet as it's up getting new tyres fitted this morning. If I fit series 2 axels do I have to replace both of them ? Is it the long side that breaks or the short side? How do I get the broken piece out ?
    Any helpful advice appreciated I was about to head off over East in the old Girl on Friday so I'm glad it happend here not on the Nullabor . Trying to get her mobile again ASAP.
    Mike
    If you have a S1 FF housing then I believe you need a spacer. You could easily machine one up from an old drive flange. You wouldn't need to replace both, however it would be a very good idea to carry spares! Often a 2nd one breaks after the first.

I have answered your other questions in your other thread.

Happy to help if I can...

Total Downloaded
    Thanks I'm trying to locate a set here in Perth or get some sent over from East.

JDNSW is online now RoverLord Silver Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Series 1 full floating half axles are extremely rare. Assuming it is an original Series 1 axle (this should be clear by the track), As Isuzurover says, the best bet is probably to make a spacer from a drive flange and fit a 2/2a/3 axle shaft.

John
    John

JDNSW
    1986 110 County 3.9 diesel
    1970 2a 109 2.25 petrol

Total Downloaded
    Barry at Hi-Tough Engineering will make up halfshafts in the series 1 length, but you need to use the 24 spline drive flanges off forward controls or Series 3 109s.

Total Downloaded
    Well I have located several series 2 Axels new old stock 174 long 86 short to be precise on the shelf here in Perth. I have pulled the short drivers side axel out nothing wrong came out easy. Now the long passenger side has moved around 5mm and won't come out . I don't have a puller but gave some persuasion with tyre levers it doesn't want to budge. Am I doing something wrong ? Any ideas ?
    Mike

Total Downloaded
    Well I have located several series 2 Axels new old stock 174 long 86 short to be precise on the shelf here in Perth. I have pulled the short drivers side axel out nothing wrong came out easy. Now the long passenger side has moved around 5mm and won't come out . I don't have a puller but gave some persuasion with tyre levers it doesn't want to budge. Am I doing something wrong ? Any ideas ?
    Mike
    It is common for series axles to twist at the splines when they fail. This can lead to them jamming themselves in place.

Not much you can do apart from using a puller.

Total Downloaded
    I got it now to get the broken bit out

Total Downloaded
    I got it now to get the broken bit out
    You need to pull the diff centre to remove all the broken bits and metal particles properly.

Then to get the broken bit out you just need a long thin punch (or a very long bladed screwdriver) that can fit around the centre pin in the diff.

Total Downloaded

Got it out

Yes diff had to come out and it took quite a bit of effort to move the stuck piece. I will replace the pinion oil seal while I'm at it . Looks like the short shaft has been replaced with an after market axel and it has a round drive flange as well . The long axel hast he star shape drive flange. Now should I replace the drive flanges there on very tight and use these ones to make spacers. When you turn the drive flange down to make a spacer do you remove the flange that sits inside the housing as well or just cut out the middle where the splines go through . The diff looks good all the gears look like new.[IMG][URL=http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/mikecramb1[/IMG]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast