Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gigantic Container Ships Slam Into Each Other In The Suez Canal

Total Downloaded

Gigantic Container Ships Slam Into Each Other In The Suez Canal

Impressive contact between two giants of the sea.

[ame=http://youtu.be/2ktwo-k-onk]Accident between two vessels in suez canal 29/09/2014 in portsaid - YouTube[/ame]

Watch 2 Gigantic Container Ships Slam Into Each Other In The Suez Canal - Business Insider

Total Downloaded
    That would be in the Great Bitter Lake, or perhaps the Small bitter Lake. I passed thru the Suez canal in 1977, north to south on the way to England, south to north on the way home. I had heard of it, of course, but it wasn't until we travelled thru it that I got an idea of the size and the sheer number of ships that use it. We started at 0600, and glided thru the exit at Port Said after dark. A surreal moment, silently gliding past the hundreds of people going about their business, just off our port bow. It was like watching a movie, and not one of them acknowledged our presence.

Ships travel in convoy, and are supposed to keep their position in the convoy. There is no 2 way traffic, the north bound line starts at 0600, and has right of way , and has exclusive use of the eastern route. South bound traffic starts at mid night, and anchors in the great bitter lakes, to let the northbound pass. A second south bound convoy starts at 0700 , and anchors in the Western Ballah bypass, to let the northbound one thru.
    I have heard they are building a second canal to increase the number of ships per day. Fascinating part of the World, I'll be glad when it settles down, so we can go & have a good look, Bob
    I’m pretty sure the dinosaurs died out when they stopped gathering food and started having meetings to discuss gathering food

A bookshop is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking

Total Downloaded
    That it is what we call Canal rage
    Madness!

Total Downloaded
    That's bad, either pilot error or equipment failure like steering gear?

Total Downloaded
    Looks like the big one was out of position and was about to hit the beach.
    By all means get a Defender. If you get a good one, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher.
    apologies to Socrates

Clancy MY15 110 Defender

Clancy's gone to Queensland Rovering, and we don't know where he are

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    That's bad, either pilot error or equipment failure like steering gear?

Seems like he tried to pass before the entrance to the canal. Perhaps the ship to port passed him , & he was trying to get his position in the convoy back. Unlikely,but either way, some one will be on the carpet. The Suez canal pilots are credited with piloting ships from the time they arrive at the road steads till they reach the open sea at either end of the canal. It takes 12 to 16 hours to transit , about 76 standard ships a day use the canal. I believe more than one pilot will take a ship thru, they do it in stages. Not well known, is that bribery is rife, in the form that if the Skipper of a vessel doesn't come good with cigarettes, or whiskey, etc, they go to the back of the convoy. Not done with warships, although.....

Passing thru the canal heading home, we were to fuel at the southern end at Port Tewfik, Suez Port. Embassy officials came on board, assured us fuel was organised, & on the way. Hours passed, no fuel. The senior Engineer went ashore to find out the problem, they thru him in jail, for illegal entry! After much work from Embassy staff, [ dare I say bribes?]fuel barge arrives. They start pumping, blow a pump gland, oil every where. It was a real comedy watching this mob in action on the fuel barge, straight out of the three stooges. I think our Skipper was in tears at one stage, and not from laughter. I still raise a smile thinking about it. Bob
    I’m pretty sure the dinosaurs died out when they stopped gathering food and started having meetings to discuss gathering food

A bookshop is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking

Total Downloaded
    They say the blue one was leaving the container terminal, joining the convoy.
    I know all about how suez pilots operate, been through quite a few times in the mid 1990's.

Total Downloaded
    Its quite amazing when you are driving across the Sinai and coming close to the canal it looks like the ships are just sailing thru the desert, that and the damaged tanks and mine fields surrounded by barbed wire.
    MY08 TDV6 SE D3- permagrin ooh yeah
    2004 Jayco Freedom tin tent
    1998 Triumph Daytona T595
    1974 VW Kombi bus
    1958 Holden FC special sedan

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by bob10 View Post
    That would be in the Great Bitter Lake, or perhaps the Small bitter Lake. I passed thru the Suez canal in 1977, north to south on the way to England, south to north on the way home. I had heard of it, of course, but it wasn't until we travelled thru it that I got an idea of the size and the sheer number of ships that use it. We started at 0600, and glided thru the exit at Port Said after dark. A surreal moment, silently gliding past the hundreds of people going about their business, just off our port bow. It was like watching a movie, and not one of them acknowledged our presence.

Ships travel in convoy, and are supposed to keep their position in the convoy. There is no 2 way traffic, the north bound line starts at 0600, and has right of way , and has exclusive use of the eastern route. South bound traffic starts at mid night, and anchors in the great bitter lakes, to let the northbound pass. A second south bound convoy starts at 0700 , and anchors in the Western Ballah bypass, to let the northbound one thru.
    I have heard they are building a second canal to increase the number of ships per day. Fascinating part of the World, I'll be glad when it settles down, so we can go & have a good look, Bob
    I hope you weren't the navigator, Bob.
    If you don't like trucks, stop buying stuff.
    http://www.aulro.com/afvb/signaturepics/sigpic20865_1.gif

Total Downloaded
    You have an evil eye for detail, Ian!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast