Thread: Ace pump noise

Total Downloaded

Ace pump noise

My ACE pump is giving off a high pitched noise as if it were cavitating badly. Is this the sign of a pump on the way out, or would a fluid and filter change be a likely fix?
    It became gradually louder on a 500km trip to Nhill but became no worse on the trip back. It seems as though the ACE system is still operating well.
    2002 D2 4.6L V8 Auto SLS+2" ACE CDL Truetrac(F) Nanocom(V8 only)

Total Downloaded
    Is the fluid foaming, discoloured or low?

I wound first check the hoses to and from the pump for leaks and ensure the connections are secure, then replace the fluid if all looks ok

I use penrite PAS fluid and replace progressively by emptying then refilling the reservoir, run for a bit then repeat until the fluid is clear/ clean.

Cheers
    Simon
    Cheers

Simon
    2003 D2a TD5, ACE, SLS, Vienna Green.

Ten Guest
    Are you certain it is the ACE pump? Power steering pump failure is more common and is indicated by a high-pitched scream on turning.

Ten.

Total Downloaded
    i swapped from geniune land rover to penrite oil in the ace system and i noticed more noise. nothing high pitched just a slight groan not noticeable to some people but noticeable to me. its not the power steering either as the noise starts as soon as you roll around a sweaping bend without necessarily turning the steering wheel all that much.

Total Downloaded
    Next thing I would check would be the rubber mounts holding all the hard piping in place. There was a TSB issued that I believe stated if the piping makes contact with the bodywork there will be noise.
    Cheers

Simon
    2003 D2a TD5, ACE, SLS, Vienna Green.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Ten View Post
    Are you certain it is the ACE pump? Power steering pump failure is more common and is indicated by a high-pitched scream on turning.

Ten.
    Not certain at all.
    Just found a dodgy bearing on the ancillary drive idler pulley underneath the ace pump. A trip to Bearing Service on Monday coming up.

Total Downloaded
    While checking the rest of the serpentine belt driveline, I have noticed that the bearing moulded into the tensioner pulley is a little loose.

Please tell me I don't have to replace the whole ERR6439 tensioner arrangement for the sake of a new bearing!

The pulley is a 7 groove Dayco TL064, I'm hoping I can buy this part 'off the shelf' without the tensioner.

Any ideas where to purchase.

lewy is offline Wizard Silver Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    any bearing shop that sells dayco should be able to match the pully,I thin k i have read that the spring in the tensioner weakens over time however
    Darwin
    03 disco 2a td5
    93 tdi disco [gone to a better home]
    2003 d2a v8 retired hurt
    1988 k100rs bmw gone
    85 county izuzu [gone to a better home]
    69 series 2a [gone to a better home]
    series 2a [gunnado]
    series 3 [gunnado]
    and the tinny

Total Downloaded
    To close this thread off:

• ancillary drive idler pulley bearing p/n 6304.2RSR from any bearing shop. Cost $11
    • Pulley for tensioner is Dayco p/n 89054, ordered from Bursons. Cost ~$50. Also available from Repco I believe.

To change the fluid, thanks to Simon's method below, I:

• emptied the reservoir with a little vacuum pump
    • disconnected the return hose to the reservoir and plugged the inlet with an earplug
    • directed the hose into an empty water bottle
    • topped up the reservoir with Penrite PAS fluid.
    • turned the ACE pump by hand (all very easy to do with the fan and serpentine belt off) until the oil ran clear (used about a litre), topping up the reservoir as I went.
    • Quickly removed the earplug and refitted the hose (only spilled a couple of drops)
    • changed the ACE filter.

Obviously this method doesn't change all the oil in the system as it doesn't move the oil in the actuators/lines, but it replaces about 2/3 of it. So I'm happy with that. All very easy to do.

Thanks again to those who helped.
    Last edited by biggin; 3rd November 2014 at 02:46 PM. Reason: more detail