Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4.6 with 14cux EFI into 85 110

Total Downloaded

4.6 with 14cux EFI into 85 110

Hi guys,

A very nice 4.6 has dropped into my lap and it comes complete with the 14CUX efi system which has been "chipped" with the Tornado EPROM chip from UK with various other mods like P38 AFM and ignition amplifier etc.

My question.

Trying not to be a luddite here and come to grips with installing EFI into my 1985 110 V8. How complicated is it to hook into the wiring of the 110? I have searched and searched but can't find anything overly descriptive about which wires, where, what etc. I can only find info saying it can be done and it's great.

Can anyone offer any information that can assist me (who has a habit of letting out the magic smoke from electrical systems ) with installing this into the 110. I need info like " take such and such wire, splice into it, then cut blah blah etc."

If it's beyond me (hope not) then I have to go the quadrajet/edelbrock manifold route and like I said, doing my best not to be a luddite.
    Cheers

Mick

1999 Land Rover 110 Defender TD5 Cab Chassis
    1985 Land Rover 110 County 4.6 EFI V8
    1993 Track Trailer camper

Total Downloaded
    This sounds very similar to what I did to a local AULRO member's 110 County, except I just bolted the injection to his existing 3.5 engine.

To sum the job up:

1. I used a wiring harness, manifold, ECU etc from a 1993 RRC as this has a totally separate EFI harness from the body wiring. The ECU wiring is long enough to reach the battery box where I put the ECU and the EFI relays.

2. I used a 1989 RRC EFI fuel tank and fuel pipes as the tank is a simple bolt in fit to the 110 chassis without any mods whatever. Your existing fuel level gauge is wired to the new tanks sender in the original location. The pipes needed a 10" extension near the fuel filter, no big deal. I wired the EFI fuel pump directly to the fuel pump relay placed in the battery box using the pump wiring salvaged from the RRC that donated the tank.

3. To make the EFI run, all I needed was to fit all the parts, hook up one wire to the ignition coil negative, connect the earthing point to the engine block, then there are only two other wires from the ECU harness that enable the engine run. They end at a plug normally connected to the body harness just inside the firewall of the RRC. Cutting the harness plug off the donor vehicle makes it a plug in connection when you solder this plug to the two wires on the 110. You need only tap into the battery positive (fat plain brown wire) wherever it's convenient (somewhere near the firewall) and then ignition positive (plain white wire) ditto. All other inputs are not needed to run this ECU. The speedo input can be ignored, it only complicates matters.

I'll see if I can dig up any pictures and add them to this post later.

Edit: they're all here:

Disco tank into County

Total Downloaded
    Fantastic! I would really appreciate any pics you might have Beeutey. I need all the help I can get.

I actually have the whole vehicle that the motor is coming out of. 95 Disco.

From the initial reading I had done I did wonder about the road speed input and how to get other inputs to work. Good to know they're not necessary.

So I'll have to look closer but hopefully I can salvage the ecu loom from the donor vehicle and do what you describe above.

Anyone know if a 95 disco fuel tank will bolt into the 110?
    Cheers

Mick

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by D110V8D View Post
    Fantastic! I would really appreciate any pics you might have Beeutey. I need all the help I can get.

I actually have the whole vehicle that the motor is coming out of. 95 Disco.

From the initial reading I had done I did wonder about the road speed input and how to get other inputs to work. Good to know they're not necessary.

So I'll have to look closer but hopefully I can salvage the ecu loom from the donor vehicle and do what you describe above.

Anyone know if a 95 disco fuel tank will bolt into the 110?
    No. '95 Disco is a completely different (plastic) fuel tank to a 1986-89 RRC which is steel and bolts directly to your chassis without mods. I have NFI how hard it would be to fit a plastic tank as I already knew of the whereabouts of the steel tank that bolts in (i.e. my back yard).

As for the wiring, have fun as the '95 D1 wiring is fully integrated and not separate like the earlier models. You'll have to do some heavy duty rewiring or track down the mentioned '93 harness and adapt it to fit the serpentine engine out of the '95. There are loads of minor differences in component locations so you'll be extending plugs all over the place. I actually had a later harness on hand to steal some plugs etc to repair what was a heat damaged RRC harness so it's all doable with a bit of common sense.

And here's the link to the pics of the 110 I did again:

Disco tank into County

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by bee utey View Post
    No. '95 Disco is a completely different (plastic) fuel tank to a 1986-89 RRC which is steel and bolts directly to your chassis without mods. I have NFI how hard it would be to fit a plastic tank as I already knew of the whereabouts of the steel tank that bolts in (i.e. my back yard).

As for the wiring, have fun as the '95 D1 wiring is fully integrated and not separate like the earlier models. You'll have to do some heavy duty rewiring or track down the mentioned '93 harness and adapt it to fit the serpentine engine out of the '95. There are loads of minor differences in component locations so you'll be extending plugs all over the place. I actually had a later harness on hand to steal some plugs etc to repair what was a heat damaged RRC harness so it's all doable with a bit of common sense.

And here's the link to the pics of the 110 I did again:

Disco tank into County

DOH!

So even if I go get a 93 separate harness it won't be a straight swap onto the serpentine motor?

Thanks so much for the pics too. Much appreciated.
    Cheers

Mick

Total Downloaded
    Can anyone tell me if the complete 1995 Disco harness is removed from the car, can the ecu loom be separated from it, intact?
    Cheers

Mick

Total Downloaded
    I'm sure with a wiring diagram you can cut the loom down and removed the un-required connections, if you have it already then its worth going with it.
    MY08 TDV6 SE D3- permagrin ooh yeah
    2004 Jayco Freedom tin tent
    1998 Triumph Daytona T595
    1974 VW Kombi bus
    1958 Holden FC special sedan

Total Downloaded
    Yep it's looking like that's what I'll be doing.
    Cheers

Mick

Total Downloaded
    Yay ... project time.... I've always wanted to build one of these and fit to something

Megasquirt for V8 engines - What is Megasquirt

seeya,
    Shane L.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Yay ... project time.... I've always wanted to build one of these and fit to something

Megasquirt for V8 engines - What is Megasquirt

seeya,
    Shane L.
    If i hadnt gone to oil power i was going to MS a 4.4 for my old RRC, would still like to install one on another car.
    MY08 TDV6 SE D3- permagrin ooh yeah
    2004 Jayco Freedom tin tent
    1998 Triumph Daytona T595
    1974 VW Kombi bus
    1958 Holden FC special sedan

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast