Thread: D4 windscreen crack

Total Downloaded

D4 windscreen crack

hi there. Need some advice please. went away for the weekend in the D4 HSE (MY13) and all was ok. got home this arvo, hubby washed it, and dried with the chamois and then noticed a huge crack in the windscreen starting at the top centre coming down vertically for 1/3 of the screen. it was NOT there before that at all.

it's obviously going to have to be replaced.... any idea what a genuine LR windscreen costs and should i get LR Dealer to do ? or someone else?

I dont think the screen is heated?? or is it? i know it's got the rain sensing bizzo on the inside...

any advice appreciated!

thanks Kirsten.

Total Downloaded
    Can't tell you what it costs - insurance covered mine.

BUT .................. ONLY use genuine LR replacement glass.

Way too many bad stories out there about cheap after market glass failing.

I had mine replaced by one of the windscreen places in Kalgoorlie - but made sure that they got the glass from the LR dealership in Perth.

Also, it pays to get them to supply and fit new genuine plastic clips in the side panels which they will have to pull off to replace the glass (the black plastic covers on the pillars). It's not hard to lose or break the clips, and if they use after-market ones, they will fail at highway speed and the plastic panels will pop off. The genuine clips are cheap, only a couple of dollars per side from memory (I carry a spare set in the glovebox).
    Cheers .........

BMKAL

Total Downloaded
    My last one cost $1100 plus fitting. There is cheapo Chinese glass available but it is rubbish only use genuine LR glass.

Anyone can fit but ask them if they've done a disco 3 or 4 previously and only use one who has and will replace the clips as stated above.

Total Downloaded
    ok thanks.... sorry if it's a stupid question... but will an LR dealer be able to do it... or do i have to take it to a windscreen place and then make sure they use genuine screen?

Total Downloaded
    I've always had mine done by the dealer. They supply the screen but get a local windscreen mob to do the work. Not necessarily the cheapest way, but quality is good as supervised by the dealer, who believe it or not I trust. Whether or not this is the best option for you will depend on your dealer.

Cheers,
    Jon

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by dudette View Post
    hi there. Need some advice please. went away for the weekend in the D4 HSE (MY13) and all was ok. got home this arvo, hubby washed it, and dried with the chamois and then noticed a huge crack in the windscreen starting at the top centre coming down vertically for 1/3 of the screen. it was NOT there before that at all.

it's obviously going to have to be replaced.... any idea what a genuine LR windscreen costs and should i get LR Dealer to do ? or someone else?

I dont think the screen is heated?? or is it? i know it's got the rain sensing bizzo on the inside...

any advice appreciated!

thanks Kirsten.
    Hi Kirsten, I had mine replaced recently under insurance, but I wanted a genuine screen, so it was done by O'Briens and the price to the insurer was around $1300.00 fitted. A generic was $650.00. I got the genuine screen, all good too.

Total Downloaded
    According to O'Brian's last time I had mine done (D3) the LR glass is thicker & heavier than most 4WD windscreen glass.
    Don't know if that's correct but what he told me.
    Jonesfam

LGM is offline Master Silver Subscriber
    Total Downloaded

Another perspective

This is a copy of a post I made to another thread some time back.

It's a Long Story

Without going into the long, long story (on another thread) I am on Windscreen 4 or is it 5, I forget, on my MY11 D4.

Oh the joys of living in the country.

The insurer was not involved at this stage as I had well and truly exceeded any 'free' allocation. Also by this time I was not convinced that the genuine article was up to the job. It only had to see a stone coming at it and it cracked. Usually at the centre base of the screen. Hence I and my bank account gladly installed a generic (read cheaper) windscreen.

The truth of the matter is that in practice I can't tell the difference from a heating or cooling perspective and since the 'el-cheapo' was installed I have had a number of stone hits and guess what? It has not broken!

So give me the generic but seemingly stronger screen and I am happy!

Good things come in glass! Go China!

The El Cheapo screen is still hanging in there there doing the job, albeit with a few marks on it from various stones etc.

Just sayin