Thread: tyre wear

Total Downloaded

tyre wear

Hello people. Attached is a photo of the front tyre on our D4. It has 30000kms on it and has had a wheel alignment and balance. However it appears to still be chipping. Not overly fussed just more curious as to the cause.
    Wondering if someone is driving the car a little hard in the carparks.
    Cheers
    Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Total Downloaded
    Once a tyre starts wearing like that its hard to stop it even if it position is swaped/issue fixed.
    Blame her and buy her a Jeep for a shopping cart,they are Cheep
    Andrew
    DISCOVERY IS TO BE DISOWNED
    Midlife Crisis.Im going to get stuck into mine early and ENJOY it.
    Snow White MY14 TDV6 D4
    Alotta Fagina MY14 CAT 12M Motor Grader
    2003 Stacer 525 Sea Master Sport
    I made the 1 millionth AULRO post

Total Downloaded
    My tyres all wore just like that, front worse than back but after rotation front to back they continue to chip on the back as well.

Changed over to Cooper Zeons at ~42000km. Coopers have been good so far but seem to be wearing quickly. I doubt that I'll get 42000 from them.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by baldivistribe View Post
    Hello people. Attached is a photo of the front tyre on our D4. It has 30000kms on it and has had a wheel alignment and balance. However it appears to still be chipping. Not overly fussed just more curious as to the cause. Wondering if someone is driving the car a little hard in the carparks. Cheers Steve
    They look like the OEM Wranglers. Mine did the same thing as well. I just changed over to Pirelli Scorpion ATR.
    The Wranglers were quiet and comfortable on road, but just the look of the chipping annoys me.

Total Downloaded
    Ok, a few thoughts.

The Wranglers seem to be a fairly soft compound and that wear suggests that the tread compound has been overheating. Driving hard in carparks would cause scuffing rather than cracking (though it could still be used as the excuse to get some decent tyres. )

Done any long drives on hot days? Done any hard/rough gravel roads with high pressures or loads?

Cheers,
    Jon

Total Downloaded
    More thoughts.

The weight of the front end of the D3/4 vehicles is easily overcome by the unflappable power steering.

A lot of drivers seem to rely on the power steering to change the direction of the wheels BEFORE even rolling forward (or backward). I tend to not apply any steering input until the vehicle has started to move.

I don't know if that might be the type of wear that is shown by the OP's photo but it might be a consideration.

Oh, and the old buggar* that reminded me of the need to move before rolling also said never apply full lock as the pump works very hard if the travel is at its limit and the driver is applying more steering angle for no actual benefit.

HTH, Leigh

* = father

Total Downloaded
    Thanks for the responses peoples. yes are original wranglers and have been rotated and aligned twice. Yes guilty of hot high speed high load travel at high pressure on gravel and bitumen. Glad to hear its nothing too alarming and phenomenon should disappear with a tyre upgrade.
    Kind regards
    Steve