Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Runva 11XP in OL bar on D3/4, free spool handle clearance?

Total Downloaded

Runva 11XP in OL bar on D3/4, free spool handle clearance?

Hi all. Cire70, ( who's just too shy and too bloody lazy, as he has me as his LR research flunky) has had OL fit a Runva 11XP to the OL bar for his D4. When he went to drop the D4 off for the fitment, they told him something along the lines of: We can't rotate the gearbox on this winch, so you'll need to have someone with a small hand with you when you need to free spool it...!

So has anyone fitted one of these combinations, and does the gearbox rotate (I know it can be done) AND have sufficient clearance from the bar to the handle? At the moment in my opinion it's completely unusable as the handle is pointing towards the ground with the shaft facing the engine; it should have been rotated 1/4 to be at the top.
    Last edited by Redback; 27th May 2015 at 11:21 AM. Reason: There ya go Will fixed
    Regards, Will

Stornoway Grey '09 D3 TDV6 SE, 2015 TERRITORY Engine at 348k
    LLAMS, FYRLYTS, OL D4 Bar
    Safari Snorkel, D4 hitch, ARB CKMA12

Total Downloaded
    I've never heard of not being able to rotate a gearbox on any winch, we did get this speel when our winch was fitted, but when we pointed out that if we can't access the handle to free spool or lock it in place, what would be the point of the winch.

So they rotated it, I'd ask the importer or distributer about it, they are a very popular winch.

Baz.
    Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 SE 2.7L
    1990 Perentie FFR EX Aust Army
    1967 Series IIa 109 (Farm Truck)
    2007 BMW R1200GS
    1979 BMW R80/7
    1983 BMW R100TIC Ex ACT Police
    1994 Yamaha XT225 Serow

SBD4 is offline A Keeper of the TGO Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Yes you can apparently.

Instructions from runva:
    [ame]http://www.runvawinch.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Gearbox-rotation.pdf[/ame]

A bloke with the same winch did it:
    How to rotate gearbox on Runva 11xp - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum

He used the step by step guide for a different winch to help him:
    View topic - How do you rotate winch motor & gearbox so the lever is up? | Australian 4WD Action
    Cheers,

Sean

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” - Albert Einstein

Total Downloaded
    Thanks guys. I fear I have not been clear enough. I know (knew) that the gearbox could be rotated, as I have the instructions from the Runva site.

The specific question is if that winch (Runva 11 XP) has been fitted to that bar (OL D3/4 bar) and had the gearbox rotated with sufficient clearance on the handle so that it points vertically and is accessible through the opening. As it is at the moment the handle shaft points to the rear of the vehicle and the handle end points to the ground.

In my opinion the guys who fitted it just couldn't be bothered doing it right. However the owner was told that they had tried but couldn't get it to fit, or something similar.

So basically I am looking for a precedent that it can be done and if I find it then he can take it back and have them do it right, at no additional cost.
    Regards, Will

Tombie Guest
    I will hazard a guess and say they didnt bother...

It can fit, it can be rotated, and I does work...

Total Downloaded
    As I can't edit the original post any more, Cire70 requested I state that he's not too shy, he's just too lazy, as he has me as his LR research flunky lol

Personally I still reckon he's a shy retiring type who doesn't like to speak to anyone...
    Regards, Will

Total Downloaded
    While a slightly different situation, mine being a D3 and an ARB bar with my custom made winch (2 speed gearbox and 6HP motor, which i like to call Franken-winch. of which you could cable ski off in high speed :P (for spooling rope back on after recoveries faster))

I have cut an access hole in 'steering guard' (not sure what the plate that bolts behind the bar is) to access the 3 position lever on my gearbox as the hole in the top of the ARB bar was made for tiny children hands, and add to that is now blocked by 240mm spot lights anyway, while this could be fun to access if drowned in Mud. . I don't drive my D3 through said situations anyway, and my Winch is used mostly for pulling cars off trailers up my steep driveway(seems under my house has become a storage ground fro my mates old cars ), or for pulling people out of sand so has not been an issue for me.

maybe worth looking if you could do similar in your case? (or your mates case whichever it is)

my 2C
    Leroy.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by winaje View Post
    As I can't edit the original post any more, Cire70 requested I state that he's not too shy, he's just too lazy, as he has me as his LR research flunky lol

Personally I still reckon he's a shy retiring type who doesn't like to speak to anyone...
    Fixed it for you
    Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 SE 2.7L
    1990 Perentie FFR EX Aust Army
    1967 Series IIa 109 (Farm Truck)
    2007 BMW R1200GS
    1979 BMW R80/7
    1983 BMW R100TIC Ex ACT Police
    1994 Yamaha XT225 Serow

Total Downloaded
    I have a runva 11xp, it's in an Arb bar, but I removed freewheel handle/knob heated it and bent it to the desired angle so I could get my hand in and turn it. I was in between rotation of the gearbox either way I needed up bending handle to suit

Total Downloaded
    Just fitted that bar and winch and had to trim the handle, just cut it with a grinder, if I ever have trouble I may drill a hole and fit a little tug rope. Cut it several times if you have to, I cut too much off first shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast