Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 Discoveries, 3 different tyre brands and 17,000 outback km's. Who won? (long post)

Total Downloaded

3 Discoveries, 3 different tyre brands and 17,000 outback km's. Who won? (long post)

Last year I had the awesome opportunity to travel some of Australia's great outback roads with some family and friends. The convoy included 3 different Land Rovers on 3 different tyre brands and I've been meaning to write this post ever since we got back in October 2014 (yeah, yeah, I know, procrastination is one of my talents). In particular I thought people might be interested in how the tyres fared on some of Australia's toughest roads, especially when each vehicle was setup very similarly.

What vehicles and tyres did we take?
    Overall we had 5 vehicles set up very similarly which makes for an interesting comparison. All vehicles had new tyres fitted within 6 weeks of the beginning of the trip.

1. Discovery 3 TDV6 2.7L
    Towing: camper trailer (1300 kg approx.)
    Passengers: 4 adults + child
    Cargo: twin drawers + twin fridges installed
    Tyres: 265/65 r17 BFGoodrich All Terrain

2. Discovery 4 SDV6 3.0L
    Passengers: 2 adults + 2 kids
    Tyres: 255/55 r19 Cooper Zeon LTZ

3. Discovery 4 SDV6 3.0L
    Passengers: 2 adults + 3 kids
    Tyres: 255/55 r19 Goodyear Wrangler MTR

4. Landcruiser 200 Series
    Tyres: BFGoodrich All Terrain 33"

5. Landcruiser 80 Series
    Towing: camper trailer (1000 kg approx.)
    Tyres: BFG KM2 Mud Terrain 33"

Where did we go?

Overall we travelled approx. 17,000 kms. In summary the trip included:
    • Newcastle to Alice Springs

• Alice Springs to Purnululu (Bungle Bungle) via the Tanami Track (and Wolfe Creek Crater)

• Purnululu to Kunnunurra

• Kunnunurra to Broome via the Gibb River Road and Mitchell Plateau

• Broome to Pilbara

• Pilbara to Ningaloo

• Ningaloo to Geraldton

• Geraldton to Leonora

• Leonora to Uluru via the Great Central Road

• Uluru to Newcastle

What were the road conditions like?
    Generally they were better than we expected (or maybe feared).
    • Tanami Track: Most of it was well graded and wide. There were lots of mining trucks on the road and I suspect the road was in good nick due to mine maintenance. The edges were often very soft so whenever possible we drove straight down the middle of the road. It was corrugated but 80-90kph seemed the right speed to reduce the vibrations.

• Bungle Bungle Roads: This was in surprisingly good condition. I have been there before when the roads were much worse.

• Gibb River Road: Not too bad. Blacktop extends all the way to El Questro now (on the east end) so you get almost all the way to the Pentecost River before you hit the dirt. The road was corrugated but most of the time it was possible to travel reasonably fast (80km hr approx) and smooth out the bumps.

• Kalumburu and Mitchell Plateau Road: These roads were the hardest of all in my opinion. Some parts of the Kalumburu Rd were freshly graded and some desperately needed grading. The corrugations in some areas were huge. The Mitchell Plateau Road is a difficult road because it is winding and narrow and rough. You never really get fast enough to smooth out the bumps.

• Pilbara Roads: They were generally well maintained. Corrugated but not severely.

• Great Central Road: This road was almost as difficult as the Kalumburu Road. It did not have as many corrugations as other roads but was is definitely the rockiest. In fact, in our last 200kms of dirt for the entire trip (almost at Uluru) we smashed two rear windows in 20 mins.

What tyre damage did we get?
    Overall we received very few punctures on the rough roads.

BFG All Terrain: 1 tyre staked (Landcruiser) near Bells Gorge. To be fair this puncture was due to driving too fast on a narrow track near Bells Gorge to find the Ranger and organise a rescue helicopter for another tourist who had a severe fall and compound femur fracture (It's another story for another day, but if you can afford it satellite phones are essential).
    Goodyear MTR: 1 tyre slashed by a razor blade looking stone when driving into 80 mile beach. We were going slow and the road was super smooth ? just got unlucky. The tyre was repaired and kept as an emergency-only spare.
    BFG Mud Terrain: 1 tyre destroyed when a shock absorber strut collapsed and went through the inside wall of the tyre.
    Cooper LTZ: 2 punctures but both were nails and screws when in major towns/cities.

So which tyres survived the best?
    I tried to take photos of the tyres on each Discovery after we finished the dirt but before we started the highway driving again. It is VERY hard to tell from photos but here are my thoughts:
    1. The Cooper Zeon LTZs survived the roads the best. They clearly had the fewest cuts, chips and general damage.

1. The Goodyear MTRs were the next best. They had some chipping around the edge of the tread blocks (as expected) and possibly wore the most of all tyres but they did well.

1. The BFG Mud Terrains looked similar to the MTRs.

1. The BFG All Terrains clearly suffered the most chipping and general damage. Even my father-in-law, who is a BFG All Terrain die-hard, was shocked how they looked compared to the other tyres. They were not in poor condition, but they were visibly worse than the others.

Interestingly, the BFG All terrains also appeared to throw the most stones. The trailer stone guards on the vehicles fitted with BFG All terrains were heavily damaged. Incidentally, those vehicles were also the ones that smashed rear windows (Discovery and the 200 series). The stone guards behind other vehicles were only lightly damaged.

GOODYEAR MTR

COOPER ZEON LTZ

BFG ALL TERRAIN

STONE GUARD DAMAGE

Feel free to ask any questions you like about our vehicles, our setups, trip planning etc. I'll try to answer as many questions as possible. I've gotten so much great info off this forum over the years I am happy to try and give back a little.

Tombie Guest
    Well written and a good report for people to cogitate on...

Total Downloaded
    fantastic

Total Downloaded
    Thanks for that. Great write up.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by pawky View Post
    ... when a shock absorber strut collapsed
    Can you elaborate on the circumstances surrounding this please - what vehicle, where, contributing factors etc.
    2011 D4 3.0 SDV6
    1999 D2 V8, in heaven
    1984 RRC, in hell

Total Downloaded
    "You never really get fast enough to smooth out the bumps."

I've had conflicting theories about this approach to driving coruugations. On the one hand, there can definitely be a particular speed at which the ride smooths out. I assume it's a point where the frequency of the corrugations matches some sort of harmonic frequency of the springs and dampers of the suspension resulting in the cabin getting a nice smooth ride.

What I've been wondering though is if at that same speed, the dampers are getting a total hammering and thus are prone to overheating and blowing a relief valve..

If that is true then then the alternative theory of driving slower, and putting up with the discomfort in the cabin is actually better on the car overall.

What do you think?

Total Downloaded
    Can you elaborate on the circumstances surrounding this please - what vehicle, where, contributing factors etc.
    Taking bets on 200 series.
    I spoke to 2 owners at Drysdale who had broken shocks on the Mitchell Falls Rd.
    The shocks are very short .
    Regards Philip A
    BTW the BFGs looked like my rears on my RRC after a similar trip, but I never rotated them. My D2 s are fine as I rotate them every 5K. Chipping is caused by rocks being thrown from the fronts onto the rears( according to Cooper) , so mudflaps in front of the rear tyres may help. Also I wonder if too low pressure was an issue.
    Last edited by PhilipA; 28th May 2015 at 10:16 AM. Reason: more info

Total Downloaded
    The collapsed strut was on the 80 series. It is a well decked out truck (has been in 4wd action a little while ago) with all aftermarket suspension bits. I can't remember the brand of the struts but they were still under warranty and the damaged strut was replaced without question in Broome.

The 200 series has all aftermarket suspension too. No problems there.

The Disco's have all factory suspension. No problems there either

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by BSM View Post

What I've been wondering though is if at that same speed, the dampers are getting a total hammering and thus are prone to overheating and blowing a relief valve..

If that is true then then the alternative theory of driving slower, and putting up with the discomfort in the cabin is actually better on the car overall.

What do you think?
    In my experience the slower speed is much harder on the vehicle (it is not just about comfort). I don't debate that at whatever speed, the struts are working incredibly hard and those roads can only shorten the life of the struts. But if there is a speed at which the corrugations smooth out then I would go for it every time.

Airing down the tyres appropriately is also an important part of minimising vehicle and tyre damage.

Total Downloaded
    Didn't the discussion about Greg Milner on here with the Vogue, who's air shocks failed due to severe overheating, point to slow speeds as being the likely cause of failure, as they were being frequently cycled without the cooling air flow that faster speeds provide?
    Great report on the tyres, sounds like a fantastic trip.

Sent from my HTC One using AULRO mobile app
    The Phantom - Oslo Blue 2001 Td5 SE.
    Half dead but will live again!

Nina - Chawton White 2003 Td5 S
    Slowly being improved

Quote Originally Posted by Judo View Post
    You worry me sometimes Muppet!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast