Thread: Help - TDV6

Total Downloaded

Help - TDV6

Hi All, I understand the rules of the forum and have read as much as I can.
    We have test driven the car 2 times now and are close to buying a car however contemplating between Discovery 4 TDV6 MY15 or LC 200 GXL. The car will be used for driving around city and towing a boat. However I have grand plans to 4WD - go off road and go to Fraser Island, Simpson and Kimberly over the next 5 years.
    As far as city driving and towing are concerned I've no questions.
    However when I get to the off road part I have a few questions. I hope you guys can help me.
    1> Firstly, I have been told by the Sales Manager on email and quote, Discovery4 TDV6 MY15 is a twin-turbo, is this true?
    2> I will be getting free service parts and labour for the first three years plus have an option to buy +2 years warranty for $4.5K. Is the additional warranty recommended?
    3> The 2 dealership I went to advised me generally people use LRD for 4- 5 years max and then sell or trade them as the service and repair costs are not linear and you are better off buying a new car after the first 4 years? Can the cars be used for ~8-10 years?
    3> Both dealers advised against a bull bar saying it will spoil the balance of the car. Is this true?
    4> Is the car with standard options good for off road, on my todo list I have Fraser, Simpson and Kimberly over the next 5 years. Is rear lock diff a must for the drives I mention since they cant be retro fitted.
    5> Is TDV6 the right car for my needs?

I am all ears and open to advice , please share links on this forum i should read to make an informed decision about my big spend.

thanks all. DVV

Total Downloaded
    Can't answer all questions, but yes plenty of people here have 5-10 year old cars still performing well. There is some maintenance and some known items that need repairing and upgrading and they can be a bit expensive but I wouldn't think significantly more so age for age than a LC on balance.

Plenty also have bull bars here including me. It does change a bit the way the car handles specially if like me you also have a long range tank, but it does on any car at least with a Disco you don't have to upgrade the suspension to cope with it.

The car as standard will easily cope with Fraser, Kimberley and Simpson which doesn't mean like any other car you might not want to modify it to improve it. First thing would be a good set of AT tyres, then you might want to consider either rods or Llams which are systems which fool the cars height sensors to give you better control over the air suspension height.

For remote touring I am always more comfortable with a good bullbar and lights because of the animal life and you might want to consider roof racks etc, the options are endless if you wish, but right out of the box you will be amazed with the capability of the car.

I cant tell you if the TDV6 is right for your needs but I have been extremely happy with mine (D3) and haven't wished for another engine or more power etc.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by DVV View Post
    Hi All, I understand the rules of the forum and have read as much as I can.
    We have test driven the car 2 times now and are close to buying a car however contemplating between Discovery 4 TDV6 MY15 or LC 200 GXL. The car will be used for driving around city and towing a boat. However I have grand plans to 4WD - go off road and go to Fraser Island, Simpson and Kimberly over the next 5 years.
    As far as city driving and towing are concerned I've no questions.
    However when I get to the off road part I have a few questions. I hope you guys can help me.
    1> Firstly, I have been told by the Sales Manager on email and quote, Discovery4 TDV6 MY15 is a twin-turbo, is this true?
    2> I will be getting free service parts and labour for the first three years plus have an option to buy +2 years warranty for $4.5K. Is the additional warranty recommended?

I bought the warranty for insurance mainly. That said, lot's don't. It's a personal choice but I felt more comfortable doing it. It cost me $3300 in December 2013 so $4500 seems a bit high. You can buy the extended warranty up until the existing one runs out. I bought when I did to avoid potential increase in premium which, if your amount is correct, seems to have been a good choice. You need to check whether the extra warranty covers extra kilometers too. Mine doesn't but I won't go over 100k within the 5 year period. If something does go wrong it can be expensive but that's the same with all cars these days.

3> The 2 dealership I went to advised me generally people use LRD for 4- 5 years max and then sell or trade them as the service and repair costs are not linear and you are better off buying a new car after the first 4 years? Can the cars be used for ~8-10 years?

Sounds like they want to sell more cars Once again it's a personal choice. If you buy new there's a lot of depreciation initially so you can lose out by selling it too soon. I keep cars for a long time so it's not an issue for me. Would I like a new car every 4 or 5 years? Sure, provided I don't have to pay for it. I had my last 4WD about 13 years and I fully expect to have this one as long or longer.

3> Both dealers advised against a bull bar saying it will spoil the balance of the car. Is this true?

I bought an alloy bar so it's weight is less than steel. I don't find any handing problems but I've had the bar on since about 2 months after purchase (Nov 2013) so it's hard to tell.

4> Is the car with standard options good for off road, on my todo list I have Fraser, Simpson and Kimberly over the next 5 years. Is rear lock diff a must for the drives I mention since they cant be retro fitted.

From what I've read the rear EDiff is not normally needed for most off road situations. The incremental improvements over the life of the model has made it unnecessary apart from more extreme off roading. That said, I would have personally paid the extra but I wasn't concerned with not having it. If you order a car it's worthwhile but in my case I took an in stock car without the EDiff and didn't have to wait for delivery from the UK.

5> Is TDV6 the right car for my needs?

I am all ears and open to advice , please share links on this forum i should read to make an informed decision about my big spend.

At the bottom of each thread is a search bar "Search AULRO.com ONLY!" Type in what you're interested in and see what comes up.

thanks all. DVV
    HTH
    Martin

Total Downloaded
    Oh yes e-diff, I haven't got one and honestly I have never been anywhere and gotten hung up where the e-diff would have saved me, learn to use the terrain response properly and you probably don't need e-diff at all.

Having said that I didn't know about the e-diff when I bought my car, if I was ordering a new car now I would order it, however if I was offered a good deal on one that didn't have an e-diff it wouldn't stop me from buying it.

Total Downloaded
    1> It's a 3.0L twin turbo.
    2> The extended warranty is probably worth it if it is the Allianz warranty, although that price is quite high. I paid $2,800 for mine 4 years ago. Have had my front control arms and handbrake switch replaced.
    3> People have easily gotten 8-10 years out of their cars
    3> Bull bar is fine. Mine is ARB steel.
    4> Get the rear diff if you can.
    5> Yep.

Total Downloaded

Q 5 ?

The only thing you haven't identified is the "Permagrin"

Long after the purchase is completed, you'll still find a silly little grin on your face when you drive it.

Whilst I realise what a crazy concept it is ..... It's absolutely true.

After 4 years & 100,000 Kms I still get it in my D3.

Strange, I've never had this problem before in any other car in the last 40 years.

Richard

Total Downloaded
    You can't go wrong with either vehicle really, both will do the job well.

All comes down to personel choice, there a quite a few EX Cruiser drivers go to the D3/D4 here and there have been quite a few D3/D4 owners go to the LC200.

Out of the box the D4 has the edge, the D4 doesn't require any addons, just hook up the van load up the back and go, it's the only vehicle in it's class that has a true 3,500kg towing capacity, what this means is that you can load the D4 to it's maximum load capacity and still tow 3,500kg.

The LC200 requires a GVM upgrade, to increase it's load carrying capacity, if it's going to tow a big van and carry lots of gear.

Baz.
    Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 SE 2.7L
    1990 Perentie FFR EX Aust Army
    1967 Series IIa 109 (Farm Truck)
    2007 BMW R1200GS
    1979 BMW R80/7
    1983 BMW R100TIC Ex ACT Police
    1994 Yamaha XT225 Serow

Total Downloaded
    Thanks all, been busy with a few things. Tomorrow is negotiation time. Will update you guys how I go..
    Also guys any thoughts on where a Discovery 4 - TDV6 M15 or MY16 with Tech pack, 11 Speakers, 3 row seating, leather interior, rear airconditioning, bi-xenon and metallic paint should land in price. I have a quote for 85K atm for MY15.
    What would you folks opt for MY15 or MY16 ( I reckon +2k for this for MY16)

@irondoc - E-diff needs to be factory fitted so that's not an available option on floor stock.