Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Discovery 4 - zero lights on any trailer

Total Downloaded

Discovery 4 - zero lights on any trailer

We have an MY13 D4 and connected our trailer (just a normal 6x4 non led trailer) to it and got absolutely zip re lights. The trailer has a 'flat' connector which works great on our 2003 Defender. We tried 2 adapters with no luck at all. We then rewired the trailer plug to a round one to fit the socket in the Disco and again nothing.

Would it be fair to suspect the car socket has an issue?

using the black socket BTW.

Total Downloaded
    Are you using the black or white plug???? Black for australia.
    Pretty sure somebody posted recently their trailer harness wasnt connected when built.
    Goodluck
    Andrew
    DISCOVERY IS TO BE DISOWNED
    Midlife Crisis.Im going to get stuck into mine early and ENJOY it.
    Snow White MY14 TDV6 D4
    Alotta Fagina MY14 CAT 12M Motor Grader
    2003 Stacer 525 Sea Master Sport
    I made the 1 millionth AULRO post

Total Downloaded
    using the black plug... hubby has wired up a lot of trailer connectors in his time so pretty sure that's not the problem! (esp as the trailer - and adapters - work fine on other vehicles).

I'll ring the dealer tomorrow cause something isn't right!! Also.. what about fuses? Is there any i need to check in case that's the problem?

thanks for the reply too.

Total Downloaded
    If it was fuses,you would think multiple lights on the vehicle may be faulty.

If you read the electric trailer brake thread there are pics of where the loom is joined if your hubby wants to check.On the later D4s its inside the LH rear luggage compartment,earlier models behind the LH rear lights.
    See this thread for more info.
    http://www.aulro.com/afvb/d3-d4-rrs/...er-brakes.html

Goodluck
    Andrew
    DISCOVERY IS TO BE DISOWNED
    Midlife Crisis.Im going to get stuck into mine early and ENJOY it.
    Snow White MY14 TDV6 D4
    Alotta Fagina MY14 CAT 12M Motor Grader
    2003 Stacer 525 Sea Master Sport
    I made the 1 millionth AULRO post

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by LandyAndy View Post
    Are you using the black or white plug???? Black for australia. Pretty sure somebody posted recently their trailer harness wasnt connected when built.

That was me. MY13 too. The loom from the sockets back to the connection in the nearside wheel arch was missing. Same problem - absolutely no trailer connection success at all. I got the guy who fitted my bull bar to check the sockets out with his meter and there was no result. Dealer had to get one in for me. He was rather flummoxed when I said "what else is missing"

Martin

Total Downloaded
    If you have a multimeter check for power at the car socket. As already mentioned it could be the socket is not connected or you've lost the earth connection which is typically common to all the trailer circuits.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Oztourer

MY05 TDV6 HSE, Buckingham Blue
    Front Runner Slimline II roofrack and rear ladder, Safari Snorkle, Mitch Hitch, Traxide D3-DU, Bushman Fridge, Icom IC-440N UHF, Hema HN7, Tyredog TPMS, GVIF and reversing camera

Total Downloaded
    thanks all. will do the check with the multimeter before calling the dealer.

Total Downloaded
    Hi Dudette,
    You can buy electrical adapters with LED check lights, multimeter is the cheapest way out. There are fuses for the trailer harness the back somewhere.

Cheers Marty.
    Last edited by Nomad9; 14th December 2015 at 10:38 PM. Reason: word missing

Total Downloaded
    well.. don't i feel a bit silly.... turns out the trailer DOES have LED lights ... duh!! (I was thinking of our old trailer which didn't)... we've checked with the multimeter and the plug on the car seems to be working.... so i guess it's the resistance?? We'd need some sort of adapter?

Hubby has a 2003 Defender so if we make changes to the trailer will it cause problems when we use it on that?

Total Downloaded
    It should still work whether it has Leds or not, as said above it sounds like an earth fault.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast