Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing alternator

Total Downloaded

Replacing alternator

Hi the red battery light came on last night. The auto elec tells me it is cactus , and orders a new Denso unit .
    How hard are they to fit?
    At 120 km is it worth putting on a new belt?
    bit disapointed at so low k's to have to replace it , but would it have been the culprit for trans error codes a few weeks a go towing the van?

2008 TD6 SE

Total Downloaded
    Probably a good time to change the belt if it hasn't been changed. You won't notice the cost of the belt so much as compared to the cost of the alternator...

Very good chance it caused the error codes. Failing batteries are also known to start giving random fault messages flagging the transmission etc.

There's a bit of info how to replace the alternator here:
    http://www.aulro.com/afvb/d3-d4-rrs/...placement.html

Total Downloaded
    Most likely it's the rectifier in alternator. Not hard at all to replace, and about $35 delivered from Ireland via eBay. Beats $600+ for a new one imho.......

Total Downloaded
    THanks Mattt , my auto elec has been bitten by just fixing "bits" in the alternator and suggested the full replacement , the belt i being picked up today.

Total Downloaded
    Yes DO NOT replace bits in these Denso units. Unless you enjoy removing and refitting them on a regular basis.

The 120k is a pretty normal lifespan and at 150K I tell customers it is a maintenace item and should be done before they are stranded somewhere. Recently found out a tow truck from Strathgordon to Kingston (250km) was in excess of $700 so there goes the new alternator plus some fiting costs...

JC
    The Isuzu 110. Solid and as dependable as a rock, coming soon with auto box😊
    The Range Rover L322 4.4.TTDV8 ....probably won't bother with the remap..😈

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by justinc View Post
    Yes DO NOT replace bits in these Denso units. Unless you enjoy removing and refitting them on a regular basis. The 120k is a pretty normal lifespan and at 150K I tell customers it is a maintenace item and should be done before they are stranded somewhere. Recently found out a tow truck from Strathgordon to Kingston (250km) was in excess of $700 so there goes the new alternator plus some fiting costs... JC
    My L322 alternator lasted longer but that seems very unusual. From reading this forum most seem to last a bit over the 100,000km. As JC says if it stops working, the dash starts flashing colours like a Christmas tree, and the motor just stops and you're stranded. You also risk killing your battery. My alternator tow was a long way from hm but close to a LR dealer, who estimated something like $2300 to get me going. I opted to get towed. Thankfully RACQ paid the $900 + towing fee.
    L322 tdv8 poverty pack - wow
    Perentie 110 wagon ARN 49-107 (probably selling) turbo, p/steer, RFSV front axle/trutrack, HF, gullwing windows, double jerrys etc.
    Perentie 110 wagon ARN 48-699 another project
    Track Trailer ARN 200-117
    REMLR # 137

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by justinc View Post
    Yes DO NOT replace bits in these Denso units. Unless you enjoy removing and refitting them on a regular basis.

The 120k is a pretty normal lifespan and at 150K I tell customers it is a maintenace item and should be done before they are stranded somewhere. Recently found out a tow truck from Strathgordon to Kingston (250km) was in excess of $700 so there goes the new alternator plus some fiting costs...

JC
    There is no point in me repeating word for word what JC has said...

Often the battery dies and the alternator follows.

Regards
    Daz

Total Downloaded
    Must be something in the air, did mine yesterday at 144k, $1000 for the alt $645 to fit

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Anchor View Post
    Must be something in the air, did mine yesterday at 144k, $1000 for the alt $645 to fit
    That unfortunately is a genuine price, although the OEM (Denso) one is round $600 plus freight to you.

Regards
    Daz

Total Downloaded
    Replaced mine myself in around 1/2 an hour about 6 weeks ago - $650 genuine DENSO. Trickiest bit was to loosen the viscous coupling fan. Plenty of threads on the forum on various ways to do this if you don't have the right tool.
    Oztourer

MY05 TDV6 HSE, Buckingham Blue
    Front Runner Slimline II roofrack and rear ladder, Safari Snorkle, Mitch Hitch, Traxide D3-DU, Bushman Fridge, Icom IC-440N UHF, Hema HN7, Tyredog TPMS, GVIF and reversing camera

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast