Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6- opinions

Total Downloaded

Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6- opinions

Hi Guys,

New to this here and am hoping for some valuable advice. I am looking at a 2010 model Disco 4 with the 2.7L to buy and I have found one with approx 80,000 kays on clock.

I have tried searching, but wanted to find out the general reliability of this car/engine combination. it has had full service history but I have tried reading up on this with no help.

Is there any issues I should know leading up to 100,000 kays? timing belts? bushes etc? air suspension?

Are they a more reliable engine than the 3.0? Ive been told the 3.0 (especially early models in the D4) are prone to numerous mechanical failures - or is that bull ****?

I will be using the car daily and doing a bit of 4wding at times.

Any opinions, advice etc would be greatly appreciated.

Kim

Total Downloaded
    At 80K time to change the tranny oil/filter.There is a steel pan option which many change over to make futher oil
    filter changes easy.At least you have an option of decent tyre sizes compared to the 3.0lt.
    Andrew
    DISCOVERY IS TO BE DISOWNED
    Midlife Crisis.Im going to get stuck into mine early and ENJOY it.
    Snow White MY14 TDV6 D4
    Alotta Fagina MY14 CAT 12M Motor Grader
    2003 Stacer 525 Sea Master Sport
    I made the 1 millionth AULRO post

Total Downloaded
    thanks mate!

so no big inherent problems with the 2.7s? I will never tow with it or load it up.

What are the biggest sized Mud terrains I can fit with the suspension -ie. 285 18s?

I have had a few Land cruisers and Patrols in the past but also always had a soft spot for discos. I will not be smashing up unpassable tracks like I did In my cruisers and patrols, but also want something half capable for high country trips etc!

any other advice would be much appreciated!

Total Downloaded
    Hey kimmo

The 2.7 has a couple of major things that can go wrong.
    1- the oil pump housing can Crack and fail, leaving the motor without oil. There is an upgraded part which is much stronger.
    2- the high pressure fuel pump has been known to leak which drips diesel onto the hot exhaust, which can cause a fire. I believe there was a recall to have this fixed.

Both are known and there are threads here that have heaps of info on them. Use the search button at the bottom of the web page to search (mobile search is crap in comparison).

The 3.0L motors have had some big end bearing issues, but im not sure if a consistent cause has been identified.

One question: if your not towing or travelling long distances, does it have to be a diesel? A few people here have owned both and say the V6 amd V8 petrols are thirstier however they are cheaper to maintain and are therefore cheaper to run overall.

Cheers

Dan
    FINN - '72 88" S3 - 2.286 petrol - yet to go on it's first adventure
    SOLD - '08 D3 4.0 V6 - 265/65/R17 on X5 rims
    GONE '96 D1 300Tdi - 2" lift, 32" tyres, HD rear axles, lockers :(

Total Downloaded
    I think you might find that your D4 does quite ok up those 'impassable' tracks! My sister and bother-in-law sure found that out after going from a GU Patrol to Prado and then lately onto their D4, which ate the other two off-road.

After you get your new beastie, sign up for one of Gordon's driver training courses (gghaggis on this forum runs Green Oval Experience) and he will show you how to get the most out of it. The off-roading booklet he supplies is awesome. Good luck with your choice.

Also, as Dan just mentioned, use the 'search on AULRO' button below to look up pros and cons of diesel/petrol options to suit your requirements.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by kimmo85 View Post
    thanks mate!

so no big inherent problems with the 2.7s? I will never tow with it or load it up.

What are the biggest sized Mud terrains I can fit with the suspension -ie. 285 18s?

I have had a few Land cruisers and Patrols in the past but also always had a soft spot for discos. I will not be smashing up unpassable tracks like I did In my cruisers and patrols, but also want something half capable for high country trips etc!

any other advice would be much appreciated!
    Google Green Oval Experience.
    Its GGhaggis's on here site.He has a spreadsheet on his website showing all the tyre/wheel combos for the D3/D4/RRS and any modifications required.Whilst there check out his suspension rods for an extra lift off-road.
    Andrew
    DISCOVERY IS TO BE DISOWNED
    Midlife Crisis.Im going to get stuck into mine early and ENJOY it.
    Snow White MY14 TDV6 D4
    Alotta Fagina MY14 CAT 12M Motor Grader
    2003 Stacer 525 Sea Master Sport
    I made the 1 millionth AULRO post

Total Downloaded
    Being the last of the 2.7lt it should have both the upgraded 3.0lt crankshaft and the later revised oil pump housing. in fact i've not had in a 2.7lt that was in that year model, they have all been the 3.0lt, must be all at that change point I guess.

The D4 is an improvement over the D3, the later 3.0lt D4 is an improvement over the 2.7lt..... I guess...hrm although I change out more secondary turbos on later D4 than i do the turbo on the 2.7lt.

*The handbrake is still crap and expensive when it fails.
    *Still changing out failed brake pedal switches.
    *Havent changed any door lock actuators on a D4.
    *Mark at Autocode is close to a EGR fix for the D4.
    *While I've had a few DPF issues on D4s, none have been on any that I do the service work on. (unashamed plug).
    *The D4 somehow looks prettier than the D3.
    *I think the auto folding side mirrors are going to crap out sooner or later.

All jokes aside, its a good vehicle....

Regards
    Daz

P.S maintenance items at that typically 100K havent changed, service the auto, do the lower control arms...
    Last edited by DazzaTD5; 14th February 2016 at 03:25 PM. Reason: more info

Total Downloaded
    Mine is MY12,so four years old,never had an issue,except for a corner valve,part of the air suspension system.

The D4 2.7 were an improvement over the D3 2.7,different crank and uprated oil pump casing as others have said.

You can run 17' rims if you want on the 2.7.

Just make sure the service history is very good.

The 2.7 spec won't have auto folding mirrors.

EGR blank off is available from Bruce Davis,with or without engine power and torque upgrade.
    Paul

D2,D2,D2a,D4,'09 Defender 110(sons), all moved on.

'56 S1,been in the family since...'56
    Comes out of hibernation every few months for a run

Total Downloaded
    Thank you so much for the fantastic feedback guys! I appreciate it, its good to get on a forum where there is constructive and useful feedback! Even though there are a few things that scare me I think I will get the D4! As much as ive tried Its hard to find anything else that would like in comparison!!

Cheers
    Kim

Total Downloaded
    It's not called the Permagrin club for nothing...
    Awesome vehicle; keeps me smiling like a retard whenever I drive it and walk back to it in the car park.
    Don't forget to post a pic - it didn't happen otherwise
    ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast