Thread: D3 Electric Brakes for Patriot X1 Camper

Total Downloaded

D3 Electric Brakes for Patriot X1 Camper

I know everyone here will have been over this many times, but I am a newbie with this. I am hiring an X1 Patriot Camper to tow with my D3 2006 HSE 2.7 TDV6 and I have been looking on the forum regarding wiring and trailer brakes and there are lots of posts and wiring diagrams but it is all very confusing to a novice. Do I need a trailer brake controller or is this built into the D3? The Patriot camper has 10" electric brakes and the one I am hiring has a 7 pin round trailer adapter for lights etc and an Anderson Plug for charging. I know the D3 has 2 plugs in the rear bumper and one can be used for lights etc and the other for charging. Do I just get an adapter made as as per the wiring diagrams on this forum for 7 pin to Anderson Plug for charging and check that the lighting one is modified to Aust Standards? Is it this simple or not?

LRD414 is offline Super Moderator Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Your thoughts regarding the lights and charging are pretty much right. But assuming it weighs over 750kg then yes you will need to get a brake controller for the electric brakes. Your D3 will not have one unless you or a previous owner fitted one.

Generally the details on the forum are for permanently fitted brake controllers and this may not be your preference given that you are only hiring the camper. But I don't know if there is a more transportable or interchangeable option. Perhaps check with the hire company.

If you go for a permanent fit there's plenty of details on here (as you've seen already). Level of difficulty is a subjective thing but if you're not confident, perhaps look into getting an auto electrician familiar with the Disco to install. You'll be up for probably $700-1000 at a guess.

Regards,
    Scott
    D4 TDV6 MY14 with Llams, Tuffant Wheels, Traxide DBS, APT sliders & protection plates, Prospeed Winch Mount w/ Carbon 12K, Mitch Hitch & Drifta Drawers
    Link to my D4 Build Thread
    D3 2005 V8 Petrol
    Ex '77 RRC 2 door. Long gone but not forgotten.

Total Downloaded
    Would be easier if patriot fitted override brakes for hire units......

How far are you towing the camper?? You could get away without installing a means to charge the trailer.

That way you just need to worry about trailer lights......oh and brakes.

Total Downloaded
    Thanks Scott and Kelvin. I will check with the hire company, Camping Adventures, who is the Victorian Distributor for Patriot. I like to research all this anyway and I am learning a lot about my D3. I always knew they were great vehicles as I had a 2007 4.0L D3 previously. We are travelling west from Melbourne for 4 weeks in August to South Australia and southern Western Australia so I think we will need the charging.

Total Downloaded
    Yes you will need charging.....

Total Downloaded
    My camper has both override and electric brakes so yes definitely check with Patriot, if it has override you probably won't need to do anything. If you do need to install the yes it will cost up towards $1k from a decent auto electrician but make sure they really have D3 experience and don't just say they have. Check with people here for recommendations. I went to an experienced discovery workshop,and printed off the information from this site to make sure he got it right, there are some serious traps. I recommend Redarc or Tekonsha.

Most people here seem to be of the opinion that the white plug will not carry enough current for charging even if you can get an adaptor made up. If you are having a trailer brake fitted then I would talk with Tim from Traxide to buy appropriate cabling for an Anderson plug to the rear and get your autoelectrician to fit both at the same time.

Total Downloaded
    Seeing you will probably be on the road a fair bit during your holiday the white plug [connections3&4]would suffice for charging and running a fridge it is fused at 15amp.For your electric brake controller some thing like this Portable Electric Brake Controller | Caravan & Campervan Accessories | Gumtree Australia Geelong Region - Geelong City | 1098795075 would do the job.Maybe the hire mob already have similar?