Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holden V6 EFI engine conversion question

Total Downloaded

Holden V6 EFI engine conversion question

Hi There,
    I'm in the process of carrying on where others have left off with this project. I'm obviously getting to the pointy end of the issues that were just that little bit to hard to solve.

My latest hurdle is adapting the speed sensor to the series transfer case. the adapter is a screwed connection, and as the majority would know the series transfer case is a flanged connection.

I'm sure that I'm not the first person in the world to drop a 3.8 V6 Holden motor into a series 2a, how did others get over this hurdle? I'm of the understanding that unless the Holden engine ECU gets a speed signal the engine will go into limp mode.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Cheers Marty

Total Downloaded
    Marty.
    My Bro has a 2a wagon with a XF falcon and C4 auto.He didnt need a speed sensor for his EFI.He gave up trying to get the transfercase speedo drive right and ended up ditching the speedo for a VDO electronic unit.It uses magnets on the tailshaft and a hall effects sensor.Surely the VDO hall effect unit may work.
    Cant think of the name of the company you need to talk to,they used to have mini vans with a speedo on thier bum as service units.Maybe TISCO,Tough Instrument Service Co,but that would be a hazy guess from the past.Them Mini vans were an oustanding marketing weapon if its the correct company
    Andrew
    DISCOVERY IS TO BE DISOWNED
    Midlife Crisis.Im going to get stuck into mine early and ENJOY it.
    Snow White MY14 TDV6 D4
    Alotta Fagina MY14 CAT 12M Motor Grader
    2003 Stacer 525 Sea Master Sport
    I made the 1 millionth AULRO post

Lionelgee is offline YarnMaster Silver Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad9 View Post
    Hi There,
    I'm in the process of carrying on where others have left off with this project. I'm obviously getting to the pointy end of the issues that were just that little bit to hard to solve.

My latest hurdle is adapting the speed sensor to the series transfer case. the adapter is a screwed connection, and as the majority would know the series transfer case is a flanged connection.

I'm sure that I'm not the first person in the world to drop a 3.8 V6 Holden motor into a series 2a, how did others get over this hurdle? I'm of the understanding that unless the Holden engine ECU gets a speed signal the engine will go into limp mode.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Cheers Marty
    Hello Marty,

I have been researching a similar option and I found that Dellows do a conversion of a Holden V6 3.8 litre engine into a Series III. With their conversion one would think it should involve being able to hook up all the electronics so the motor makes the right vroom vroom sounds. Maybe you could email enquiries@dellowconversions.com.au ?

My gearbox is a Series III and yours is a IIA; perhaps in the overall scheme of things this difference has been sorted out by Dellow's?

Let me know how you go.

Kind Regards
    Lionel

Total Downloaded
    Hi There,
    So I have now checked with Marks 4WD adapters, Dellows and V6 conversions, none of them make an adapter for the Series transfer case fitting to the 22 mm threaded connection so this will have to be a custom made adapter. The engine won't run properly without a speed sensor of some description.

Thankfully I have access to a well equipped workshops to manufacture an adapter, looking at where it has to go it will be a tight fit no matter what. Add to that I had to hacksaw one of the screws to get the adapter plate off the transfer case, this just gets so much better.........

Cheers Marty.

Total Downloaded
    The Range Rovers with 14CUX have a short cable with a speed sensor .

Knowing Land Rover you may find that the gear and fitting are the same as in the series .

AFAIR the RRC sensor gives 3 pulses per revolution, but this should not be critical as usually the ECU will use the speed sensor for overrun injector cutoff and stepper motor increase coming to a stop. IE the accuracy of the signal is not important just whether there is a signal vs no signal.

In fact a Commodore Stepper is the same or similar to a RRC one.

Just a thought for you to maybe follow that may come up OK.
    Has anyone got a picture of one of the RRC VSS with the short cable? There seems to be none on Google.

Another thought is to get a sensor for a Cruise control and just attach it to the driveshaft. You may need two or three magnets .
    Regards Philip A
    Just to clarify , it is only AFAIK 89-91 that have a remote VSS from the output housing. Later ones have a VSS on the housing itself, but you would need a chopper wheel inside for those to work.
    Last edited by PhilipA; 10th March 2016 at 03:50 PM. Reason: more info

Total Downloaded
    Hi Philip,
    I had a search around and found what you were talking about, found a couple on Ebay. Knowing where the screws are to hold the adapter in place, getting that fitting in would be a challenge considering I had to hacksaw the screw out to get "?t" out and release the installed original adapter plate.

I'm back at work on Monday where I have access to a good machinist who I hope will be able to manufacture a couple of adapter plates. I could pursue the magnets option however I'll try this first and see what happens............. how hard can this be?

Cheers Marty.

Total Downloaded
    Hi Philip,
    I had a search around and found what you were talking about, found a couple on Ebay. Knowing where the screws are to hold the adapter in place, getting that fitting in would be a challenge considering I had to hacksaw the screw out to get "?t" out and release the installed original adapter plate.

I'm back at work on Monday where I have access to a good machinist who I hope will be able to manufacture a couple of adapter plates. I could pursue the magnets option however I'll try this first and see what happens............. how hard can this be?

Cheers Marty.
    If you work it out we expect a full and complete tutorial so lots of piccies please keep the specs etc.. you and yourmate could turn these up and make a quid!

Good luck
    (REMLR 235/MVCA 9) 80" -'49.(RUST), -'50 & '52. (53-parts) 88" -57 s1, -'63 -s2a -GS x 2-"Horrie"-112-769, "Vet"-112-429(-Vietnam-PRE 1ATF '65) ('66, s2a-as UN CIVPOL), Hans '73- s3 109" '56 s1 x2 77- s3 van (gone)& '12- 110

Total Downloaded
    So you will have to make up a tone ring( Ha remembered the name) and fit it inside the housing to give a signal to the sensor.

The idea of the remote sensor gets over that problem.
    Regards Philip A

Lionelgee is offline YarnMaster Silver Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    H I'll try this first and see what happens............. how hard can this be? Cheers Marty.
    Hello Marty,

You are talking about Series Land Rovers and conversions .... "how hard can this be?" ... wow, nothing like opening yourself up to a whole lot of hurt and misadventures

Kind Regards
    Lionel

Total Downloaded
    Marty.
    The speed output for the speedo on a series tx case is crap,and it varies with wear/oil viscosity/preload etc etc.
    I would look at that VDO hall effects generator for their speedo.I drove my bros Series before he had one,and copped a hefty fine on a long weekend as the speedo was reading between 40 and 80mph in a 60kmh zone.87kmh is what they came up withIve driven it since with the electronic speedo,perfect.Needle dont do the series dance no more.
    You could have a reliable speedo and supply the info the ECU needs.
    His has higher speed diffs wich also made the original speedo reading even more of a guess,with the vdo it self calibrates,all you do is drive it over a measured 1000m
    Andrew
    Last edited by LandyAndy; 10th March 2016 at 09:48 PM. Reason: more info
    DISCOVERY IS TO BE DISOWNED
    Midlife Crisis.Im going to get stuck into mine early and ENJOY it.
    Snow White MY14 TDV6 D4
    Alotta Fagina MY14 CAT 12M Motor Grader
    2003 Stacer 525 Sea Master Sport
    I made the 1 millionth AULRO post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast