Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for a new lawnmower!

Total Downloaded

Time for a new lawnmower!

hey all,

thought a forum load of mechanically minded land rover nuts would probably be a good place to start!

Our current mower is a relic from the 70s. Old Rover 2-stroke, that just can't handle the job anymore. Still starts first pull and runs ok, but the catcher doesnt work as the clippings clog up the exit chute real easily, and in any grass longer than say 2-inches, i have to mow real slowly as the engine just doesnt have the ponies and suffers under the load.

So what's good in mowers these days? Our lawn area isnt big by any means, can do front and back in about 45mins, give or take.
    Only requirements is a big catcher and a decent motor to get through thick patches.

what are people's opinions on Honda's? i'm hearing lots of good things about them at the moment.

or what are other reputable brands to look into?

I won't be going cheap, so no GMC, Talon, Chinese-Super-Happy-Mower etc...

Let us know your experiences, opinions, recommendations etc..

EDIT: this is probably the type of unit i'm looking for. Simple 4-stroke with good specs.
    http://www.productreview.com.au/show...p?item_id=9665

Total Downloaded
    Buy a Honda. Mine is 17 years old and was used commercially for 2 years. When I bought it the salesman said that it would last for at least 5 years used commercially or a lifetime for home use. The later ones get just as good a report.

dmdigital is offline OldBushie Vendor

Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    X2 for Honda, best mower I've ever owned.

It had been sitting for 4 months, turned on the fuel tap, pulled the cord, started. Motor is fully rebuildable if you get the right model. Mines an HRU196D and I like the mulching function as I don't use the catcher. I bought it about 3 years ago.

My father has a Honda mower that is 10 years old and my father-in-law just replaced his 27 year old one.
    MY15 Discovery 4 SE SDV6

Past: 97 D1 Tdi, 03 D2a Td5, 08 Kimberley Kamper, 08 Defender 110 TDCi, 99 Defender 110 300Tdi[/SIZE]

Total Downloaded
    electric mowers are here and able. I am not here to convince you of the brand I got, there are quite a few available these days. They are far better for the planet which is the reason I got mine, but there are many other reasons I would never go back. EG. no starting, you want to empty the catcher? just stop it. Not much noise, good torque, clean cut, (BTW I am talking cordless DV rechargeable) no fuel storage, no maintenance at all. Just charge the batterys (I have 2 packs) and use. If one runs out just switch the packs and keep going. It is the right technology for the type of equipment a lot like a cordless drill makes no sense to be powered by a petrol engine. I get 1 quarter acre per batt.

Mine is a cheap as chips chinese electric but its still much nicer to use than any petrol I have owned including victa, masport and honda.

stockton nsw close enough to the beach to hear the waves and smell the sea :)
    Total Downloaded
    Buy another Rover with the suzuki 2 stroke engin best mower ever made they are set up like a 4 stroke with a govener and increase power on load demand my mate who mows for a living has honda's and hes used my rover and rekons its as good but i think it has more power than the honda and its more economical to run

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by lokka View Post
    Buy another Rover with the suzuki 2 stroke engin best mower ever made they are set up like a 4 stroke with a govener and increase power on load demand my mate who mows for a living has honda's and hes used my rover and rekons its as good but i think it has more power than the honda and its more economical to run
    yeh i was thinking another 2-stroke would be good, but i thought they were hard to find? aren't 2-strokes being banned the world over or something?

and more economical than a 4-stroke? gotta admit that's pretty hard to believe

EDIT: Oops got my facts wrong. our current one is actually a Victa, with a "Mark 4 160cc" two-stroke

On that note, lets start a 2-stroke VS 4-stroke war so when it comes to mowers, lets us know your personal pick and why.

and as for electric, sorry but couldn't do it. Plus all my experience with cordless tools is the batteries die after a while. just stop charging, or only hold tiny amounts of charge etc...

Total Downloaded
    After 25 years I've recently updated from a Masport to a Honda, certainly happy with it so far (just didn't realise how down on power the old one was)

Martyn

Total Downloaded
    I swear by Briggs four strokes. Currently I use a Rover 21" cut with a 5.5 hp Briggs industrial engine with cast iron bore, bought 1993. Has electronic ignition, float bowl carb. and dry paper aircleaner with precleaner element. Did three lawns for more than half the time owned. Plenty of grunt for the long and thick stuff. Still works perfectly. It replaced a Victa 18" with 4 hp Briggs bought 1979. The Victa's wheels and frame were worn out, not the engine. It did three lawns its whole life. Before this I had a Scott-Bonnar two stroke. I swear I will never have another two stroke.
    URSUSMAJOR

Total Downloaded
    how often do you service the 4-stroke mowers? and what's serviceable on them? just engine oil and air filter?

Total Downloaded
    Go the Honda
    We got ours secondhand from a friend who left town to shift to Perth to a no lawn block.His place was on 2 titles and had LOTS of lawn,Deb now uses it for the mowing round I started and she took over.Great machine.
    Andrew
    DISCOVERY IS TO BE DISOWNED
    Midlife Crisis.Im going to get stuck into mine early and ENJOY it.
    Snow White MY14 TDV6 D4
    Alotta Fagina MY14 CAT 12M Motor Grader
    2003 Stacer 525 Sea Master Sport
    I made the 1 millionth AULRO post

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast