Thread: Going across the paddock at Xmas

Total Downloaded

Going across the paddock at Xmas

Hi All,

Well I've made the decision to take the D1 across the paddock at Xmas time. Planning to leave here 19/12 and get there around 24/12.. maybe earlier depending on how well I sleep etc.

A mate of mine who is an Oversize Pilot has suggested I can do it in 3 days - Mel to Ceduna in 1 day (with a 1-2hr sleep stop along the way), Ceduna to Norsemann the 2nd day (only drive during day, never go across the plains at night) and then the remaining 746kms to Joondalup on the 3rd day. I guess that will depend on how hot it is when I go over there - hence I've given myself a couple of days buffer.

I've had the low water sensor all fitted up, got two spare tyres, UHF & VHF trunk radio all in, spare set of hoses in the back plus will have all the usuals, lots of water, 20L spare of diesel etc etc).

Can anyone suggest anything I should not leave home without or have some suggestions for the trip?

Cheers,
    -adam.

Total Downloaded
    Last trip I had, july this year, went like this
    Melbourne - Barrossa Valley (short day)
    Barrossa - Border village (1.30 am to 3.30 pm )
    Border village to Perth (1.30 am to cant remember)
    Cheers
    blaze
    Just seen you wernt driving at night, as you can see from my times a lot of it was done early morning, animal results were- from the barrossa to perth the total live animals seen was 3 rabbits and 2 small roo. I had seen more animals on previous trips traveling in daylight hrs, it did rain the whole way though and maybe that had something to do with that

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Hi All,

Well I've made the decision to take the D1 across the paddock at Xmas time. Planning to leave here 19/12 and get there around 24/12.. maybe earlier depending on how well I sleep etc.

A mate of mine who is an Oversize Pilot has suggested I can do it in 3 days - Mel to Ceduna in 1 day (with a 1-2hr sleep stop along the way), Ceduna to Norsemann the 2nd day (only drive during day, never go across the plains at night) and then the remaining 746kms to Joondalup on the 3rd day. I guess that will depend on how hot it is when I go over there - hence I've given myself a couple of days buffer.

I've had the low water sensor all fitted up, got two spare tyres, UHF & VHF trunk radio all in, spare set of hoses in the back plus will have all the usuals, lots of water, 20L spare of diesel etc etc).

Can anyone suggest anything I should not leave home without or have some suggestions for the trip?

Cheers,
    -adam.
    If your plan is to do it in 3 days and you have a couple of days buffer, why rush and spoil the journey, it's doable comfortabley in 5 days.

Just a thought.

Baz.
    Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 SE 2.7L
    1990 Perentie FFR EX Aust Army
    1967 Series IIa 109 (Farm Truck)
    2007 BMW R1200GS
    1979 BMW R80/7
    1983 BMW R100TIC Ex ACT Police
    1994 Yamaha XT225 Serow

Total Downloaded
    spares, you are not remote
    just carry what you normally carry + 20 litres of water in a well maintained vehicle you should not have a problem, its only 3500km or there abouts, I dont expect any problems between services, do you
    cheers
    blaze
    ps
    I find from ceduna to norseman one of the most relaxing drives you can do, traffics easy to deal with

Total Downloaded
    Nah definitely not.. just the age and K's on the car (14 years, 273,000kms) I guess I'd like to be a little prepared should something go wrong etc. Then when we're in WA we'll be doing a bit of off road stuff camping etc. Def will have 20L of water on board as a minimum.

Certainly not planning to rush it - that was just a mates suggestion. I've done the Mel-Adelaide trip that many times for work that I could do it blindfolded, but past Adelaide on the road is unchartered territory for me. If anyone has any tips on places to see along the way I'd be interested to hear as well.

Cheers!