Thread: Tasmania Trek

Total Downloaded

Tasmania Trek

Hi all,
    I'm looking to go for a bit of a journey around Tasmania. I've always wanted to see the place, particularly with a view of perhaps relocating down there.

So, this year I'm going to go have a look. I'm thinking of going in the middle of winter, to see how cold it really gets. I also imagine this might be the off-season for tourists, so hopefully be a bit quieter and cheaper than the peak season.

I particularly want to see the west coast region, and would appreciate any tips and recommendations on what to do and where to go.

I'm still unsure whether I'll drive the Defender down, or fly down and hire a car. If I hire, would I really need a 4WD or would a camper-van suffice?

Also, I'd love to catch up with an AULRO members whilst I'm down there, so let me know if you're up for a visit!

Total Downloaded
    Hi Ranga,

If you are coming in the winter then a camper could be a bit cool, I suppose it depends on how long you are coming for. If its only a short trip then consider a hire car and accommodation package as some of them are quite good value.

If its your first trip then I would say hire a car, stick to the main roads and have a good look around especially if you are thinking about a move. That way you can check out real estate in areas that appeal to you.

If its a longer trip (3 - 4 weeks) then I would bring your own car so you can get to some of the more out of the way places. Remember in the winter it could be very wet on the west coast and some places may be inaccessible.

Total Downloaded
    Thanks Phil - by camper I should of said campervan (minivan type thing). As much as I'd like to hire a 4WD, they're pretty expensive and are often restrictive about what you can and can't do in them.

I'm planning on at least 2 weeks, hopefully more!

Total Downloaded
    We used to have a motorhome and lived in it during winter in Tassie without problems.
    The best idea is to book powered camping sites and use a small electric heater.
    The east coast is fantastic and you do not need a 4Wd to see the place.

The LR members in tasmania are a great buch of people and for sure they are going to show you some places of interest.

It is a great place

Cheers

Total Downloaded
    Coming down in winter is a great idea... you get to see the worst of it (depends on the viewpoint). In my case, winter brings snow, lush landscapes and loads of full water holes.

West coast is wet... I think it rains like 3/4 of the year there. East coast is a top part of the state, def a must see too.

AULRO members are both north and south, so when here see if you can get on AULRO and post where you are and we can reply with a plan to catch up.
    Carlos
    1994 Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
    1996 Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
    1963 Land Rover Series 2a 88
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu3...BtsNIuTyGkAo5w
    Instagram: https://instagram.com/rover_tasmania/